+328

You're glad "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," was repealed, amirite?

xLogans avatar Politics
3 46
The voters have decided that xLogan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

hahaha i dont understand why DADT was that big of a deal.. It doesnt ban gay people.. and the homophobes dont have to know they are sleeping next to a gay.

@TheShamWowGuy hahaha i dont understand why DADT was that big of a deal.. It doesnt ban gay people.. and the homophobes dont have...

Homosexuals had to hide their true selves and if they were injured or killed, their family (meaning significant other and possible children) would not be notified because they were considered to have no family.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +10Reply

Although it's obviously a god idea I doubt a giant cloud of gay people are going to rush to the recruitment offices

@897496

That's the thing, I have no idea.
I guess because the majority of the people in our nation [last time I checked, anyway] are religious/against homosexuality, so they thought it would be a bad idea.
IMHO, it doesn't make any sense to ban people of a certain orientation, but whatever. It's over now.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +5Reply

very. :)

ClaireTheBozos avatar ClaireTheBozo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@897484

To...fight...for their country? The same reason anyone joins the armed forces...

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +4Reply
@DanielJames To...fight...for their country? The same reason anyone joins the armed forces...

that was supposed to say openly gay person (and by open... I mean like grand marshall of the gay pride parade)

@

You do realize that many of the people in the military come from rural areas where homosexuals are thought to be devils, right? These aren't the types that hung around GSA meetings. I wouldn't want to be in a room surrounded by people who hate me.

@Lkun You do realize that many of the people in the military come from rural areas where homosexuals are thought to be...

But if they really want to protect their country, they would get over it. I don't know about you, but a lot of people don't just quit in the face of adversity. If they really want to do it, they will.

Taters avatar Tater Yeah You Are +4Reply

Ah, freedom of speech.

Dadt doesn't ban gay people.. it just tells you to not ask what someones sexual preference. I don't know how people take that up the ass and are so against it. Why would you openly tell me you're gay? Do I honestly give a fuck? Its like a straight person telling me they're straight... whoopy fucking do. In the military, you're suppose to act professional, not annoucing the gender you love and having sex, whatever your gender. Take that stick out your ass before you go against something you don't know about or think is wrong when its not.

@Dadt doesn't ban gay people.. it just tells you to not ask what someones sexual preference. I don't know how people...

The problem with DADT was if someone did find out for ANY reason they kicked you out of the military. I think the people who speak out against letting openly gays serve in the military are hilarious. Its THEM who they are fighting to secure that right to speak out against a government decision.
Ignorant ridiculous people.

AshleyKunkles avatar AshleyKunkle Yeah You Are 0Reply

are you all just a bunch of fucking homophobes?? like..yeah...the straight homophobes don't have to know they're next to a gay guy so just shut the fuck up! and unless you're planning on going into the military, this shit doesnt apply to you. our troops will save each others lives, gay or not, we've done it for ages. so everyone shut up if you agree with this. you fucking homophobes.

@are you all just a bunch of fucking homophobes?? like..yeah...the straight homophobes don't have to know they're...

(fuck you sicko): Are you stupid? Those who agree are GLAD it's gone. And no one who has commented has said "OMG IM SO MAD IT WAS1111111!!!111oneoneone!"

Anyone who thinks this is a good thing does not understand the military.

@SirCheekyBastard Anyone who thinks this is a good thing does not understand the military.

Anyone who thinks it's a bad thing does not understand that 70% of the military said allowing open gays in the military would have a positive affect or no affect on anything whatsoever.

@SirCheekyBastard @897389 (pikabeau): where are you getting this 70% stat?

The military did a servey for the past 18 months or so. It's the biggest research composed my military people ever. If I wasn't no mobile I'd give you a link. You can just google in yourself. Your information is outdated though.

@SirCheekyBastard Was there a company I could look up that facilitated the poll?

Just look up DADT poll. You'll get tons of results. The most recent survey is the whole reason it got overturned.

Yep. Cuz the generals and the other leaders of our military along with 70%+ of soldiers in the military obviously don't get how it works. Herp derp.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +10Reply
@SirCheekyBastard http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet...nt_agains.html That's a Marine Corps Commandant...

Cool. He's in the minority. According the a study which literally every member serving in the armed forces filled out, repealing DADT will have little to no effect on military operations. Every other advanced democracy on Earth has allowed gays to serve openly for years with no problems.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +8Reply
@SirCheekyBastard I'd like to read this study.

It was all over the news, you can probably Google it pretty quickly. The point is that the vast majority of our militaty's leaders, people serving in the military, and Americans in general were for repeal.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +7Reply
@BreakfastFan It was all over the news, you can probably Google it pretty quickly. The point is that the vast majority of our...

A 2006 Zogby International poll of military members found that 26% were in favor of gays serving in the military, 37% were opposed, while 37% expressed no preference or were unsure. Of the respondents who had experience with gays in their unit, 6% said their presence had a positive impact on their personal morale, 66% said no impact, and 28% said negative impact. Likewise, regarding overall unit morale, 3% said positive impact, 64% no impact, and 27% negative impact. As for respondents uncertain whether they had served with gay personnel, 2% thought gays would have a positive effect on personal morale, while 29% thought that they would have no impact and 48% thought that they would have a negative effect. Likewise, regarding overall unit morale, 2% thought that gays would have a positive effect on overall unit morale, 26% thought they would have no effect, and 58% thought they would have a negative effect.

@SirCheekyBastard A 2006 Zogby International poll of military members found that 26% were in favor of gays serving in the military...

That was four years ago, and it wasn't conducted by the military itself and answered by literally everyone who is serving. I'm pretty sure that the recent one is a tad bit more comprehensive and accurate. An analysis I read of it said that most soldiers surveyed weren't really passionate about it either way, they just didn't care. Im pretty sure that the people we send out to harsh environments to kill our enemies and risk their lives for years on end can handle the knowledge that Rick in Unit C is gay.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +12Reply
@BreakfastFan That was four years ago, and it wasn't conducted by the military itself and answered by literally everyone who is...

Overall, 70 percent of military personnel thought that integrating gays into the military would be positive, mixed, or of no consequence However, 40 to 60 percent of personnel in the Marine Corps and combat specialties said that repealing the ban would be negative.

I see your positive 70 stat now. The negative 40-60 stat comes from the elite branches of the military, which admittedly has a smaller percentage of the 400,000 servicemembers polled.

@SirCheekyBastard Overall, 70 percent of military personnel thought that integrating gays into the military would be positive, mixed...

So let's go back to your original comment. 70% of the military doesn't understand the military?

@BreakfastFan So let's go back to your original comment. 70% of the military doesn't understand the military?

Let's take the above as a learning experience for me, and I revise my admittedly arrogant claim. I'm against the repeal cause I don't want guys getting killed because they don't trust the gay guy next to them. Total trust is a necessity in tense, high risk situations.

@SirCheekyBastard Let's take the above as a learning experience for me, and I revise my admittedly arrogant claim. I'm against the...

I see your point, and that is the only criticism of repealing DADT I've heard that actually carries some weight.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +6Reply
@eldorito Do explain what I don't understand about the military.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet...nt_agains.html

Read that. Then read this (my opinion):

Military fighting units necessitate an incredibly close bond of unconditional trust and brotherhood. A straight guy is hesitant to form such a bond with a gay guy. Fighting units can't afford to have that kind of disunity; it hinders the unit's ability to perform in combat and could get them all killed.

@SirCheekyBastard http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet...nt_agains.html Read that. Then read this (my...

Any military organization that does not teach rigorous self-control is a joke and wouldn't last more than 3 years.

eldoritos avatar eldorito Yeah You Are +4Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se...litary_service
Read that, it's very interesting and shows that in the countries that do allow people to be open about their sexuality there have been no problems with it.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are 0Reply

How is a straight guy fighting with a gay guy any different than a straight guy fighting with a straight women?

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are 0Reply

The Pentagon released a 100 plus page report on the effects of the repeal.
The findings saw no downside to allowing gays to serve openly in the military.

Clay_s avatar Clay_ No Way 0Reply