+539

The requirements for most college scholarships are ridiculous. "Are you a contact wearing student from a town with a population under 2,000 that has saved starving Africans from a fire, and has a widow/KFC employee for a mother? Oh yeah, and you must be left-handed and qualified in the art of duck calling." Why can't I just make really good grades, amirite?

laureneli23s avatar Education
18 10
The voters have decided that laureneli23 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

: Obviously. But there are very few merit-based scholarships that aren't always awarded to either a minority or someone extremely poor. I'm not saying in any way that these people don't deserve the money, because if they've worked hard, they definitely do! But it's just frustrating that just because I'm not living in poverty and come from a middle-class family, it's almost impossible to win scholarship money. I definitely can't pay for my college out of pocket, so I think grades should be weighed much heavier than some stupid requirements.

laureneli23s avatar laureneli23 Yeah You Are +9Reply

And that's where being a minority comes in handy :)

I saw the duck calling one the other day! The real question is why the colleges need duck callers. I hadn't realized there was a such a large demand for them.

I haven't seen any that are that exaggerated...

Mikes avatar Mike No Way 0Reply

Do you read the college confidential forums? Some of the people sound like that.

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are 0Reply

There's a difference between merit-based scholarships and need-based scholarships.

Luffys avatar Luffy No Way -1Reply
@Luffy There's a difference between merit-based scholarships and need-based scholarships.

I've always seen more need-based ones, though. And also sport ones, music ones, that sort of things. It's almost like they don't even care about grades anymore! :P

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Rainbow35 I've always seen more need-based ones, though. And also sport ones, music ones, that sort of things. It's almost...

Really? I have seen a lot of both. I would know, since i qualify for a lot of both. Sports and music scholarships are merit based, just in a different area.

Luffys avatar Luffy No Way -3Reply

They have scholarships for grades too, dummy

That's not true