+351

Humans are inherently selfish, amirite?

4 18

I think that people without kids are, but when it comes people with children (generally speaking), most would do anything (including sacrificing themselves).

@Clinton How so?

If you were in a crowded room with one exit and a quickly, spreading fire started at the opposite end of the room forcing everyone to rush the exit, you would be shoving, stepping on top of people who have fallen or whatever it takes for you to get out of that room before it burns. Now, you can argue that you'd be a saint and calmly stay and help people out, but chances are, survival instinct will kick in and you'll say, "fuck everybody else, I'm getting out."

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +11Reply
@twisted_memories But what about the people who, instead of doing that, try helping and risk their lives?

They're helping others because it makes them feel good about themselves, which is selfish.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +6Reply
@StickCaveman They're helping others because it makes them feel good about themselves, which is selfish.

But how do you feel better about yourself if you die? Though this makes me think of that Friends episode where Phoebe is trying to find an unselfish deed and can't.

@twisted_memories But how do you feel better about yourself if you die? Though this makes me think of that Friends episode where...

You'd be dying trying to safe another life. Being selfish isn't necessarily always a bad thing. When people think of someone being selfish, they usually think of some asshole who doesn't want to share or who gives himself a bigger piece of pie or something. But as far as my example goes, in a situation where there's no time to rationalize and think things through, people are going to try to save themselves.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@twisted_memories Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I just think "selfish" has such a negative connotation.

Have you ever heard of Ayn Rand? She wrote about how people misunderstand the concept of selfishness, and how it's actually a virtue. It's actually pretty interesting, if you like reading check her out.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yes. That is the primary reason why things like common courtesy is no longer common. People are getting more selfish by the minute.

Perpetuals avatar Perpetual Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Perpetual Yes. That is the primary reason why things like common courtesy is no longer common. People are getting more...

I disagree. At the beginning, there was no civilization and no morals, so people just worked to help themselves and sometimes their family. We've become less selfish since then.

personThingys avatar personThingy Yeah You Are +1Reply
@personThingy I disagree. At the beginning, there was no civilization and no morals, so people just worked to help themselves and...

If we're evolving to become inheritently less selfish, that doesn't explain why 50 years ago, things like holding the door for another person, walking an older person across the street, bringing cookies to the new neighbour was things of COMMON place and now, people couldn't give a shit about anything unless it concerns only THEM. In general.

Perpetuals avatar Perpetual Yeah You Are 0Reply

Still doesn't mean we can't not be selfish.

MrTies avatar MrTie Yeah You Are +1Reply