+260

We should abolish political parties entirely so voters can vote for the person's ideas and not the party they represent, amirite?

xxirishwristwatchxxs avatar Politics
3 22
The voters have decided that xxirishwristwatchxx is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Totally! They should have ballots that are like "Check the boxes that have the ideals you support." The president that has the majority of the ideals that you checked would be your vote.

As a current civics student, parties are necessary in most aspects of the US government..So not good to abolish

@Claudhoppers As a current civics student, parties are necessary in most aspects of the US government..So not good to abolish

As a current AP US History student, political parties have ALWAYS screwed up our government. We should have listened to what George Washington said and not develop political parties. It should be about the candidate's ideas that we are supporting, not their political party. It has gotten to the point where neither political party will/can compromise to solve any problem in the country. It's actually destroying our country. I don't find it necessary anywhere besides the voting process we have developed.

jaimiee16s avatar jaimiee16 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Well, of course. I completely agree. If the Democratic-Republican party had not developed to combat the Federalists during the development of our country, the country would have been taken over by the wealthier people from the NE like merchants, and all of the Southern farmers and common people would have been forgotten.
But, at the same time, many people today just vote according to what party they're a member of, and don't bother to really think about the ideals.
And Washington did warn the country about partisanship in his speech...hmm...

As it is, we already have a lot of party dealignment with people considering themselves independents while both parties always stay close to the middle to gain the most support. Also, I feel as though less people would vote because they'd have to look up the candidates ideas and people are rather irresponsible and lazy to go through that trouble. It's easy for people to vote on the party line while still agreeing for the most part.
Main point: I believe that less people would vote... and a large amount already don't.
(But this is all just my opinion).

@ChubbyBunniez As it is, we already have a lot of party dealignment with people considering themselves independents while both...

I see your point, but I think that might be better for the country. People who vote without knowing what they are voting for, and just blindly voting for a party, aren't wisely voting are they? So, if they feel it's not worth voting, would we really want their "opinion" to count towards who is elected?

jaimiee16s avatar jaimiee16 Yeah You Are +1Reply

That is such an immature concept; grow up.

@Nicole_Anonymous He/she is a troll..

I kinda figured after I checked he/she's profile haha.

@Richard Coming from someone that loves sparkles...

Coming from someone that loves to "r" (rape??) 23 little boys...

@907987

If you were older you would understand.

@908302

Your parents have done a terrible job raising you.

i agree with the ideas behind this post but i'd just like to point out that the whole reason that they have parties is so that they can join groups of people who have the same (if not, relatively close) ideals as them.

It wouldn't work, because, even though you have a good point, in the sense that some people follow parties instead of ideals, parties are MADE so that people have the same ideals. Even if you abolish parties, you'd have like half the candidates saying "I am pro-choice, think that the rich should have higher taxes because they have more to pay, and the guns should be made illegal in most situations" while the other half will be saying "I love fetuses, hate the government getting involved, and love the 2nd amendment." Virtually the same as we have today.

I don't really understand why they still have them.