+157

No one is "converted" into being an Atheist. All people are born Atheist. It's just that parents like to enforce their religion upon their kids and we tend to adopt their beliefs and we do the same thing to our kids, amirite?

CatMans avatar
6 83
The voters have decided that CatMan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's a vicious cycle.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +19Reply

Yes it is! Especially when their parents are intolerant of all other religions and they adopt that trait!

CatMans avatar CatMan Yeah You Are +14Reply

fuck this, i'm gonna go get a sandwich

We are more born of no belief. As we grow, we adopt our own beliefs, or those we are told of. Look at the ancient cavemen, they clearly had some form of religion. Religion is how people could explain natural phenomena. It is a way of answering big questions simply. I'm not saying religion is a bad thing, I'm just saying that it is a natural part of humans and it has evolved right along with us.

This post makes no sense. A person can't be born not believing in God. A baby doesnt really even comprehend things around them at that age. I think you mean a person is born with no religion at all...

I agree with Dumblewhore in saying that we're technically born apatheist.

Before my parents began telling me about God, I always had questions like "is someone watching me?" "who created the world"

and kind of always believed in a upper being :$
Maybe it's just me

God explains the unexplainable, until someone else explains it.

That's all religion is, an explanation for people who both can't explain something, and can't accept that they can't explain it. We're not born with an innate sense of anything except curiousity. We couldn't really give a shit whether or not the answer to our question is real or not. Some of us do care, though, those are the scientists. They dedicated their lives to finding the reasons why things are. The simpler people were content coming up with a fairy tale, and stuck with it.

In the end, science will prevail, and religion will be useless. Find out why things are, and you can figure out how things can be. Make up a reason for why things are, and you get nowhere.

@soccerfan You have a very primitive understanding of faith.

Care to expand? As far as I'm concerned, my understanding of faith is all that I need. People make up things, people expand upon them. It's basically the Santa Clause tale we tell children, except people of all ages buy into it.

There's a reason religion was invented before we were capable of finding anything out, and science was brought into existence when we had the tools to dissect the world around us.

The thing is, old habits die hard, and religion is just an old habit.

@Mike_Hawk Care to expand? As far as I'm concerned, my understanding of faith is all that I need. People make up things...

Well, faith is not just about explaining how the world works. In fact, that's probably the least important of it's functions. Most faith is meant to teach us what science cannot and never will be able to teach us. Namely, why things happen, how we ought to behave towards each other, and our place and role in the universe.

You insinuate that the only reason religion still exists is because it's just an old habit, but in reality, it serves a very important role just as science does. The two are meant to be complementary, not contradictory.

@902965

No, see, you have it backwards. Religion came first, and creationism was the original explanation. We decided that the idea of creationism was crazy, so we did a lot of research and came up with evolution. The religious fanatics just couldn't comprehend that what they've been believing for centuries was false.

@903452

I'm part of the group who finds creationism laughable.

If they did that, they wouldn't be religious fanatics. Also, there's a reason that people convert from creationist to evolutionist, yet you never quite hear of the opposite. So what? There are people who continue to believe false things after being told the undisputable truth all the time, it's called being delusional.

Who am I to say it's false? I'm a guy who lives in an age where great minds have dedicated years to proving time and time again that evolution occured. There's just so many reasons not to believe, and only one reason to believe. Children are naive and will readily accept the tales religion has to offer, and will have trouble coping with the fact that everything they've known up to that point simply doesn't stack up with the facts. Our psychological makeup is such that we don't like being wrong, and many of us would rather continue lying to ourselves than accept the truth.

@903904

That's silly, both explanations are out there, so it doesn't make a difference where someone was brought up. If someone was brought up as a creationist, and learns about evolution, they might say "That makes sense" and convert. If someone was brought up an evolutionist and hears about creationism, they'd probably laugh. This is because evolution makes sense and has overwhelming evidence in it's favor, and creationism was devised in a time where people had no idea how the world works, and has no evidence supporting it.

No, you're not naive for disagreeing with me. You're naive for buying into a fairy tale that you have absolutely no logical reason to believe in. Not only that, but the people who told you about it were people with no real non-religious credibility.

The "you haven't seen it" really is a poor argument. Perhaps we should just release all murderers and rapists. We didn't see them commit the crime, we only have overwhelming evidence that they did...

@903904

And according to your argument, overwhelming evidence is on the same level as no evidence at all. We see that evolution has happened, we just didn't see it happen. We can see it happen, though. How about viruses and bacteria that become immune to certain medications? I suppose God decided to create them just to fuck with us. It makes sense that the medication only killed 99.99% of them, and then they passed on the gene for immunity. That's evolution.

NASA happens to be an official, highly trusted source. They provide a ton of information for us, and are nowhere near the same level as preachers or pastors or anyone. But hey, Mythbusters proved that they were on the moon. I guess that doesn't matter, either?

I know people have said this before, but babies are born non-religious. It's when they're old enough to choose religion they choose atheism.

Non-religion is not believing in religions,
while atheism is believing religions bullshit.

Hmmm...So if a baby who's born atheist becomes a christian, he can't be converted back to aethiesm? Why can't he be converted back?

@piratedicecream Hmmm...So if a baby who's born atheist becomes a christian, he can't be converted back to aethiesm? Why can't he be...

It's not saying that you can't convert, just that you can't be converted by someone else...I think.

First I voted yes, but I actual agree with what the person above me said. To be theist you have to believe in a god, and to be atheist you have to believe that there is no god. But when you're first born you don't even know what "believing" is. By the time you understand what it is to believe your parents have probably already taught you their beliefs.

@plotbunnyhunter First I voted yes, but I actual agree with what the person above me said. To be theist you have to believe in a...

No. Atheism is not "Believing there is no god" It is a lack of belief in any god. No one knows if there is a god or not, one could exist, but unicorns could also exist.

@No. Atheism is not "Believing there is no god" It is a lack of belief in any god. No one knows if there is a god or...

Of course no one knows (despite what some very religious people may claim), that's why it's called believing. Except for with unicorns, I know they exist :)

No, all people are born being agnostic.

@901030

That's why they're agnostic.

Babies are agnostic until they decided (or their parents) what they believe.

well i dunno how to vote. i don't believe people are born one way or the other, and it is certainly possible to convert from theism to atheism. but then again, people do tend to be raised in their parents' religion.

I say it doesn't matter. This is the problem with the world. People get into fights over who is and isn't right. Honestly, who cares? If God is real, congrats to everyone who believes, you'll be in Heaven. If not, then who knows? All I'm saying is that people should stop arguing. Live your life to the fullest because we don't know what happens afterwards.

I'm glad that I had the privilege of being taught who Jesus was. Though my parents are the reason for that they aren't the ones who gave me a relationship with him. That can only be done by ones self.

Actually we are born with an innate sense to believe in God if you would just take a look at the beauty in nature around you instead of being so cynical, but uh, to each their own.

@asdijojioiojioxj Actually we are born with an innate sense to believe in God if you would just take a look at the beauty in nature...

When viewing a river, the first thing that pops into my head isn't, "Wow, this is so beautiful that there is no possible way it could have been created naturally". If you had never been taught about a god, you wouldn't just know if one existed or not.

shelbyam118s avatar shelbyam118 Yeah You Are +13Reply
@shelbyam118 When viewing a river, the first thing that pops into my head isn't, "Wow, this is so beautiful that there is no...

what religion are YOUR parents though? or what do they teach at school? you learned atheism from somewhere.

even secluded people have a story usually involving God (or gods) as to how they got here.

@asdijojioiojioxj what religion are YOUR parents though? or what do they teach at school? you learned atheism from somewhere. even...

My parents are Catholic. I just stopped buying into it. No one "taught" me Atheism. It just happened.

shelbyam118s avatar shelbyam118 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@shelbyam118 My parents are Catholic. I just stopped buying into it. No one "taught" me Atheism. It just happened.

Me too. I was raised Christian and that's what I was for 17 years, then, on my own, I thought about it and realized that it's not my thing and that it's a bunch of nonsense that I'm not gonna fall for. I don't believe in fairytales

littletanks avatar littletank Yeah You Are +3Reply

exact same thing here. I actually lived in upper michigan, where like 90% of people are Apostolic-Lutheran. When I was in 3rd grade I thought there were two "religions": Christians, who believed in a God, and Jews, who didn't. I thought Judaism was Atheism, so I went around telling people I was Jewish. :b also, inb4 people saying i became atheist to rebel.

@ClaireTheBozo exact same thing here. I actually lived in upper michigan, where like 90% of people are Apostolic-Lutheran. When I...

I live in Michigan, too. My family was Lutheran until my mom got remarried. Then they converted to Catholism while I became Atheist.

shelbyam118s avatar shelbyam118 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@shelbyam118 I live in Michigan, too. My family was Lutheran until my mom got remarried. Then they converted to Catholism...

Lower Michigan? Either way it's a small world I guess.
This is a weird question, but why do people convert from one sub-religion to another anyway? Like going from Methodist to Lutheran or whatever the names would be...

@ClaireTheBozo Lower Michigan? Either way it's a small world I guess. This is a weird question, but why do people convert from one...

Yeah, suburbs of Detroit.
There are a lot of small differences between religions. For example, Catholism is a lot stricter than Lutheranism. Lutherans alo don't have confession. The main ideas are the same, but they all have different ways of going about explaining their points.

@shelbyam118 Yeah, suburbs of Detroit. There are a lot of small differences between religions. For example, Catholism is a...

Ahh I see. I never really knew the differences except that the Apostolic don't use birth control.

AWWW! It's Kind of sad how you can't defend your own beliefs and you have to attack others. Well let me tell you, my parents never forced their religion upon me and I grew up Atheist without knowing what it is. Not all people are born Christian or Jewish. People who make poly-theistic religions are unaware of science and mark natural experiences as Gods. You don't learn Atheism from somewhere, epic argument fail. If you don't believe in a God then you are automatically an agnostic or atheist.

Who created God if he created the Universe?
Are evolution argument doesn't make sense either. Evolution claims that all LIVING beings are going towards an orderly state it can't be applied to all matter.

@AWWW! It's Kind of sad how you can't defend your own beliefs and you have to attack others. Well let me tell you...

(Not Christian!):If I may,

If you don't believe in God, you aren't automatically atheist or agnostic. There's lots more things you can be. Pantheistic for example. Einstein was one. I mean, more likely than not, you're agnostic or atheist if you don't believe in God, I just wouldn't say definitely one or the other. Or you could be Buddhist....or a Pastafarianist.

Unless you meant to say "if you don't believe in a god" (as opposed to God, the Christian God) but, pantheistic still applies. As does pastafarianism.

(Not Christian!): You most certainly can learn athiesm and that is the same way you can learn religion: by having it hammered into you.

@ImTheRealShady (Not Christian!): You most certainly can learn athiesm and that is the same way you can learn religion: by having...

Yes, but let's say a baby is born and grows up and sees 'natural beauty', all without any idea of religion. They wouldn't say "God created that!" They might say "Where did this come from?" but they would have an absense in the belief of God because they wouldn't know who He is. Essentially, atheist is the default until taught to believe otherwise.

Tempest_Trances avatar Tempest_Trance Yeah You Are +3Reply

(Not Christian!): About your last point...say we were to cast aside any beliefs of God temporarily and turn to evolution. Where does the cycle begin? What was there before the universe was created, if not God? It's the same principle.

(Not Christian!):
a.) i'm not doing any attacking whatsoever.
b.) you learned atheism from somewhere i'm sure.
c.) all living things are matter.

@asdijojioiojioxj (Not Christian!): a.) i'm not doing any attacking whatsoever. b.) you learned atheism from somewhere i'm sure. c.)...

Yes but not all matter are living things. No, I didn't learn Atheism from anywhere, I never grew up with a faith, you can't "learn" Atheism, it's the absence of belief. So as soon as I stopped believing I was considered an Atheist. Then I learned the term much later on in my life. If that is what your trying to point out.

@Yes but not all matter are living things. No, I didn't learn Atheism from anywhere, I never grew up with a faith...

(Not Christian!): @893519 (Shelbyam118): maybe I'm arguing the wrong point, what I really want to say is even an atheist can look around and see God's work and learn to believe, so yes we essentially learn to believe in Something, I don't believe we are born atheist though...if you get what I'm saying at all?

You are a Christian because you were raised Christian. Beauty of nature? There are many "Natural" Disasters that kill so many people a year. All those innocent dead people. Yeah Real beautiful!

@You are a Christian because you were raised Christian. Beauty of nature? There are many "Natural" Disasters that...

I'm saying there is no way this complex universe was created by chance, you can't tell me nature isn't beautiful. Besides, all matter moves towards an increasing state of disorder. Evolution claims that we get more orderly, how is that possible?

@asdijojioiojioxj I'm saying there is no way this complex universe was created by chance, you can't tell me nature isn't beautiful...

I think that the reason you believe there's no way things were created naturally is because you haven't been exposed to the math or science that explains some of these things. And I think that the reason that you (and pretty much everyone else here) haven't been exposed to them is because they're so complicated and at such a high level that nobody here would understand it, therefore it's pointless to try to explain it. I'm not saying that the math/science is necessarily 100% truth (because there is a minute chance it might be incorrect), but it's very solid. It's kind of like an average toddler being "taught" Algebra. Except, normal human beings like ourselves are the toddlers, and Algebra is the math and science that attempts to explain these events.

@NfskMjmMal I think that the reason you believe there's no way things were created naturally is because you haven't been...

not at all true, you haven't been exposed to the Bible have you? Or maybe you have, but to this day there is nothing that can be proven wrong in the Bible. Science has not and will not prove it wrong. Look into creationism even a little and you can see neither side will win in accordance to physical evidence.

@asdijojioiojioxj not at all true, you haven't been exposed to the Bible have you? Or maybe you have, but to this day there is...

Yes but I can also prove through the bible itself that the god it speaks of seems to be quite the hypocrite and doesn't seem very modest

Angeles avatar Angele Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Angele Yes but I can also prove through the bible itself that the god it speaks of seems to be quite the hypocrite and...

I'll hit on the second point first only because that's an interesting thought. I'm not sure God should be modest, if we are correct, he created the universe.. As for being a hypocrite, show me the verses that confirm this and I will gladly explain them.

@900982 (SlimShady): I think that science will eventually prove something. Technology and knowledge are constantly improving. I think one of three things will happen sometime in the future. (1) Science will disprove the Bible, (2) A flaw in math/science so great will be found that everything we know is false, or (3) humans will become extinct before either of those two happen.

I'm not an expert on the Bible or creationism, but I know what they're talking about, generally. However, I think that there is math/science that is pretty solid too, and there are people that believe in it as much as you believe in the Bible. The argument can work both ways.

@NfskMjmMal @900982 (SlimShady): I think that science will eventually prove something. Technology and knowledge are constantly...

(NfskMjmMal); and your exactly right about that, I believe the Bible will never be proven to be correct (until the end days when it'll be obvious but people still won't believe because of what will be happening) because believing is supposed to be an act of faith. The only thing us Christians can do is prove the Bible holds up more so than science.

@900864

Those arguments don't sound brainwashed to me, they sound straightforward and reasonable. A brainwashed argument would be something like "GOD EXISTS NO MATTER WHAT" or something like that..
You seem to be the one that is small-minded, not accepting the possibility that this universe was not created "by chance". Sure, no one knows, but that doesn't mean you should interfere with the beliefs of others.

@900864

Okay don't be so mean. They may not have the most valid points but calling them an idiot won't do anything. All that will do is make them angry and drive them away from listening to you.

@900864

(Anonymous) yeah because anyone who believes in God is an idiot? okay buddy.