+313

Whether you are atheist or not its still annoying when someone claims that their being atheist means that they must be smarter, amirite?

3 17

Annotating?

@Hullabaloo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re...d_intelligence

"In 2008, intelligence researcher
Helmuth Nyborg examined
whether IQ relates to
denomination and income, using
representative data from the
National Longitudinal Study of
Youth, which includes
intelligence tests on a
representative selection of white
American youth, where they
have also replied to questions
about religious belief. His results,
published in the scientific journal
Intelligence demonstrated that
on average, Atheists scored 1.95
IQ points higher than Agnostics,
3.82 points higher than Liberal
persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points
higher than Dogmatic
persuasions. "I'm not saying
that believing in God makes you
dumber. My hypothesis is that
people with a low intelligence
are more easily drawn toward
religions, which give answers that
are certain, while people with a
high intelligence are more
skeptical," says the professor."

@Hullabaloo "In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination and income...

I'm getting the highest grade in each of my classes besides one, where I'm second highest and I believe in God.

@I'm getting the highest grade in each of my classes besides one, where I'm second highest and I believe in God.

not saying that your wrong or anything, but grades don't necessarily translate to intelligence. that being said, i'm now going to look for holes in this study done

Piggys avatar Piggy Yeah You Are +3Reply
@932548

i'm certain that's true, although there's always exceptions. but i think there's a bigger problem here, as in there's something wrong with the sample demographic.

Piggys avatar Piggy Yeah You Are +2Reply
@932549

so? saying that there are 10 Christians at this one school who get good grades doesn't really mean christians are not dumber than athiests on average. but again, i'm not saying i believe that.

Piggys avatar Piggy Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'd say it's more like Atheists would think more logically than other people? But logic doesn't always equal intelligence...

I think it would also depend on the level of religiousness. Like someone that can not accept that dinosaurs existed or that we are not the only life in the universe, is probly not as smart as a non religious person who knows science. Now i dont think that religion makes people dumber-i just used the extreme cases (people that dont believe in dinos).I'm agnostic and the first time I really questioned religion was in my 8th grade earth science class, where I really thought about the scale of our universe-im 20 now and couldnt be more thankful that I was thinking deeply about the stuff I was learning in science classes.

@I think it would also depend on the level of religiousness. Like someone that can not accept that dinosaurs existed...

haha. okay... you can't really equate dinosaurs to life outside of Earth. We have proof of dinosaurs, but not other life. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but to say somebody lacks intelligence because they don't believe in aliens is a little ridiculous.

@pantherfanatic haha. okay... you can't really equate dinosaurs to life outside of Earth. We have proof of dinosaurs, but not other...

Yeah it is not a great example. But I think life outside earth has to exist based on sheer probability. Even the chances of a life sustaining system is 1 in a billion, we have 200 billion stars in our galaxy-with billions of galaxies on top of that. Also, there are countries that HAVE disclosed info about extraterrestrial life-There are structures on this planet that could not have been made by man in primitive times. Some (not all) religious people cant comprehend/accept the vastness of our universe (aliens or no aliens) and I think that's what I really meant. As I said, I'm agnostic so there could be some creator that put things in motion-It's just not how the bible says it is. I also dont judge people based on their religion,if they are open minded and aren't telling me i'll burn. I would only think someone is stupid if they truly prove their stupidness in front of me.

@Yeah it is not a great example. But I think life outside earth has to exist based on sheer probability. Even the...

Yeah, I'm not positive where I stand on outside life. I know it's possible, but I don't know for sure (obviously). I don't really believe the Earth was created in 6 days. I think that's a metaphorical story. I think God put the earth together over an extremely long period of time. I hate it when people assume that science and God have to be worst enemies. You can believe in both, as they coexist. I fully believe God has the capabilities to create a functioning planet in 6 days. But I doubt he did.

@pantherfanatic Yeah, I'm not positive where I stand on outside life. I know it's possible, but I don't know for sure (obviously)...

Yes I agree, some people think that all scientist are out to disprove god-and that's not true at all really-it just disproves what many people believe about god (i.e. the 6 days thing). I think if there is an intelligent creator (god) then he would want people to learn about galaxies and the universe in its wholeness-even the big bang theory points towards creation-since it essentially says everything came from nothing-and by law no matter/energy can be created or destroyed, just shifted. It's seems that it is just hard for some people to accept the realities of our universe-as only a few hundred years ago people believed we were the center of everything, you would have been burnt for saying that we are not. Boy have we come a long way. Yay for moving forward xD

OP is implying that christians dont do the same thing.

why all the sudden phobias of atheists purporting to be smarter? is this some new campaign i missed?!