+87

Sometimes you wonder how mainstream music artists are even popular with all of the indie/underground talent out there, amirite?

StarveEgo_FeedSouls avatar
1 17
The voters have decided that StarveEgo_FeedSoul is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Another one of these.

Anybody can hear a catchy beat and like it. That's why pop music is, well, popular, because it appeals to almost everybody. If you say that you've never jammed out to a stupid pop song then you're lying.

tags avatar tag No Way +5Reply
@tag Anybody can hear a catchy beat and like it. That's why pop music is, well, popular, because it appeals to almost...

But artists shouldn't be mainstream because nearly everyone likes them, they should be mainstream because I think they have talent!

@Frank_n_Furter But artists shouldn't be mainstream because nearly everyone likes them, they should be mainstream because I think...

"But artists shouldn't be mainstream because nearly everyone likes them"

That's what mainstream artists are: people that are liked by nearly everyone. This doesn't necessarily mean they are the artists with the most talent. This also doesn't mean they are the artists with the least talent as well. Talent and popularity don't correlate. It's a sad fact in our society.

There are really talented underground rappers out there, but rap isn't my cup of tea. I know some really talented alternative bands but alternative isn't everyone elses cup of tea. Yes it's sad that these artists don't get the recognition that they deserve, but it's understandable that they don't.

tags avatar tag No Way 0Reply
@tag There are really talented underground rappers out there, but rap isn't my cup of tea. I know some really talented...

IMO, artists generally have as much recognition as they deserve. It's not like popular artists sat on their ass and didn't go and market themselves. If the talented people did that, they'd probably be famous too.

I think it has to do with who they are, their background, and who signs them. I bet if Katie Perry and Lady Gaga dressed normally they wouldn'tbe as popular as they are.

I hate it, but I absolutely get it. To be mainstream, you pretty much need to be pop. Pop music doesn't focus on talent at all, just sound. If people don't like the sound, it will never be popular.

Have you ever heard of Meshuggah, Necrophagist, or Spawn of Possession? Three of the most technically talented bands on the planet, and not one of them is mainstream. It's because their sound is very chaotic and harsh. Insanely skilled, but they're never to be recognized. Nobody will even recognize that they are talented except other musicians. It's sad, really.

John Frusciante. 'nuff said.

Brambleclaw8s avatar Brambleclaw8 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Someone has to be.

YESSS.