+371

If you think about it, people who are good at math and science are simply good at memorization: remembering operations and rules and how to solve things. On the other hand, someone who's good at an art may have memorized some techniques, but ultimately what makes them "good" is creativity, amirite?

Rockys avatar
12 67
The voters have decided that Rocky is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Unfair comparison. A researcher (i.e. a practitioner of science) has to be just as creative, nuanced, and sensitive as an artist.

@wobbuffet Unfair comparison. A researcher (i.e. a practitioner of science) has to be just as creative, nuanced, and sensitive...

But my point is when someone says someone is good at math/good at science/etc., they don't mean that they're "creative and nuanced" in their application of it.

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are -5Reply
@Rocky But my point is when someone says someone is good at math/good at science/etc., they don't mean that they're...

But you shouldn't compare people talking about a high school or undergraduate math class with someone talking about art performance.

Like, I could say that art history class is just memorization, but Pythagoras was a creative mathematician. Not exactly a fair comparison.

I don't think math is about memorization. It's about applying your knowledge to equations.

Rainbowss avatar Rainbows No Way +18Reply
@Rocky Your knowledge comes from memorization.

The ability to speak is knowledge, same with the ability to write, use a pencil, etc. So technically, an artist had to memorize how to draw, paint, sculpt, or whatever to become an artist, it's not like it's just their instinct like breathing would be. Also, to contradict my first point, knowledge doesn't always come with memorization, you can acquire it through use. For example, when learning how to speak you didn't make an effort to "memorize" the language but instead made an effort to use the language and eventually it came almost as easily as an instinct would. Just the same, a scientist/mathematician and artist just use their skills over and over again, perfecting their craft.

Some of the greatest minds in ancient history, they didn't have anything to memorize because they were the ones to create the formulas.

Math mostly relies on logic not memorization.

OFFEND

Math makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and sob.

TicTacAddicts avatar TicTacAddict Yeah You Are +12Reply
@plotbunnyhunter That's how I feel about Chemistry!

Really? I took Chemistry last year and loved it!

TicTacAddicts avatar TicTacAddict Yeah You Are 0Reply
@TicTacAddict Really? I took Chemistry last year and loved it!

Okay, I smell a deal here - I do your math, you do my Chem? XD haha, some of the stuff is kind of intresting, but I'm just so bad at it!

@plotbunnyhunter Okay, I smell a deal here - I do your math, you do my Chem? XD haha, some of the stuff is kind of intresting, but...

Great deal! I came out of Chem with a 99. I had to drop Calculus, because my grade was a plummeting B.

@TicTacAddict Great deal! I came out of Chem with a 99. I had to drop Calculus, because my grade was a plummeting B.

I didn't think it was even possible to get a 99 in Chem O.o! And it sounds like a great deal, but you'd be getting the short end because I haven't taken Calculus, lol.

Math isn't about memorization, buut application. People who say that creativity always equals genius and traditional sciences never do piss me off.

shorkians avatar shorkian No Way +11Reply

It depends. Personally, I find it hard to memorise so I have to derive the equations and such. Also, non-calculator papers are a bitch if you can't do sums in your head, amirite? :P

Sinners avatar Sinner No Way +10Reply

lol i agree. but i wanna see creative artists find cures to diseases and move the world forward.

Actually, art has quite a bit of memorization, and like math, application. For exapmle, human anatomy, the rule of thirds, how light works, reflection, and of course technical knowledge of materials. And I don't believe that creativity is the sole basis of a "good" artist. For example, compare the Renaissance pieces (Madonnas are a classic example) that have great technical skill but with little creativity, to modern artists such as Pollock who have much creativity, but little apparent skill. In order to be successful in anything, one needs both technical skill AND creativity. :)

Ezios avatar Ezio Yeah You Are +9Reply

I think history would have been a better example for memorization.

@I think history would have been a better example for memorization.

I thought about saying it, but then thought about how it's not just about memorizing dates and such, but about applying your knowledge of history to diverse social issues and such.

Math was about memorization in high school, but later on you really have to be able to SEE the problem and be creative in order to solve it.

enders avatar ender No Way +6Reply

Scientist use creativity all the time. After all, they needed to be creative to come up with the Big Band Theory, Evolution, and Newton had to be pretty damn creative from getting gravity from a falling apple.

Kates avatar Kate No Way +5Reply

I know that all of the above comments have said this, but math is not about memorization, but rather seeing patterns in nature and using these patterns and constants to solve problems. What ultimately makes you good is the ability to analyze a situation and create a solution.
Art is also not void of memorization. Think of learning music theory and how major and minor scales work, or about proportions in visual art.
Now I'm not saying mathematical or analytical people are smarter, I just think it was unfair to state that math is all memorization.

"Rocky", you must have an inferiority complex if you have to put other people's talents down on the internet, if you dont have anything nice to say, say nothing.

The people who came up with the equations were pretty damn creative.

@Katffro The people who came up with the equations were pretty damn creative.

Equations weren't "come up with" so much as discovered. The rules of math bind the universe already.

creativity is involved in math and science too. discovering the structure of DNA, for example. that took ingenuity, intuition, and creativity while applying memorized concepts.

@creativity is involved in math and science too. discovering the structure of DNA, for example. that took ingenuity...

What is creative about discovery? They didn't invent the structure of DNA. It was already there for us to find.

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are -6Reply
@Rocky What is creative about discovery? They didn't invent the structure of DNA. It was already there for us to find.

they didn't just look under the microscope and say "oh, look. it's a double helix!"
they had to consider the components of DNA and how the functional groups interact with each other to create a structure that makes geometric sense.
that takes creativity and knowledge.

@they didn't just look under the microscope and say "oh, look. it's a double helix!" they had to consider the...

Dont forget about the Chemicals to separate the DNA once they realized what it could be

First, Math may mostly be memorizing rules but it's also applying them. Second, I would not have included Science if I were you. The theories and answers that scientists come up with are beyond creative.

528491s avatar 528491 No Way +2Reply

I don't know about math (because l don't study it) but science is all about creativity and innovation. Its just that the ground work takes a lot if time.

lanas avatar lana No Way +1Reply
@TheTall123 You can't get very far doing science w/o math...

Lol. I study the math required for my stuff. What I meant was that I don't study math for the sake of math.

lanas avatar lana No Way +1Reply

True...but which one is more likely to make you more money?

Technically, art is just math and science put onto paper. But, the person who put it on the paper had to memorize what works in art, and what doesnt. It varies for different artists.

Rocky, quick questions: What are the highest level math/science classes you have ever taken? How did you feel in those classes; did you truly understand them enough to expand on them or did you barely scrape by?

@NfskMjmMal Rocky, quick questions: What are the highest level math/science classes you have ever taken? How did you feel in...

Biology 105 and Calculus 151, neither of which I count because I didn't try my best at all. But in high school, I was great in chemistry (my highest level science) and Pre-Calculus. Got A+ in both I think.

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Rocky Biology 105 and Calculus 151, neither of which I count because I didn't try my best at all. But in high school, I...

I'm still in high school, but I believe the classes I've taken are equivalent to Calculus 151 and 152 (I'm in my second year of Calculus). I noticed that during my first year of Calculus, most of what we did was learning the concept and memorizing and stuff. However, in my second year of Calculus, the focus is practical application of Calculus, logical reasoning, and creative thinking. That's how I think everything in math and science is. First, you actually learn what it is. Then, you learn how to apply it in creative ways.

So I'm pretty much saying that I think you're half right. You do a lot of memorization, but that alone is useless if you can't create anything out of it.

no problem

I think a lot of you are getting your knickers in a twist for absolutely nothing. You're misinterpreting what I meant. I never said one is better than the other. And I didn't say math/science is devoid of creativity, nor that the arts are absolutely without memorization involved. My opinion in the post is that, simply when you say someone's "good" at one or the other, you usually have certain things in mind. You don't say someone's "good" at math so much with their application of it in mind, or that someone is "good" at playing the violin, for example, while mainly thinking of their ability to memorize a piece. It doesn't work that way. Each has its merits, but being "skilled" in each has its different implications as well.

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are 0Reply

people had to "create" those operations you know. and there's a hell of a lot more to math and science than memorization, it's all logic, and sometimes logic has to be creative too

Because 'rocky' isn't a real name.

@Rocky Yes, it is.

someone's parents fancied a laugh with the child they didn't love ;)

WOW STUPIDEST POST EVER! YES WE TOTALY ALL JUST "MEMORIZE" AVERY SINGLE MATH EQUATION OUT THR...NO DUMBASS. MATH IS FOR THE SMART AND ART IS FOR THE STUPID.

@Rocky I lol'd.

Couldn't even memorize the layout of the keyboard well enough to find the caps lock key.

@Rocky :@

I was talking about them.
Furthermore, their argument shows absolutely airtight logic, as well as exemplary spelling skills.

@Voldemorte I was talking about them. Furthermore, their argument shows absolutely airtight logic, as well as exemplary...

Voldemort@904141 (Voldemorte): O, GUESS SO ... UR JUST MAD UR A RETARD WHO IS SO SAD YOU SUCK AT LIFE THAT U HAVE TO MAKE UR SELF HAPPY BY MAKING RETARD COMMENTS... UR SAD GET A LIFE AND START MEMORIZING THIS "U WILL NEVER GET FAR IN LIFE AND IM SURPRISED U EVEN KNOW HOW TO RUN A COMPUTER"

@Voldemort@904141 (Voldemorte): O, GUESS SO ... UR JUST MAD UR A RETARD WHO IS SO SAD YOU SUCK AT LIFE THAT U HAVE...

Were I to memorize that, it would have to be fully spelled out. Though I do appreciate how you tried to cut down the number of characters to fit my feeble mind.

I'm crap at Maths and Science, I ended up with a B in both. I'm great at Art though, but it's probably better to be good at Maths and Science because those are the things which will get you further jobwise.

My friend and I constantly argue about this kind of thing. She's the A+ math person, and I'm the crazy artist. I'm gonna show this to her. I think I won this battle. :)

Finally someone understands!!!!! <3 <3 <3 I always feel stupid because I'm bad at math and hate science and I always thought I was the only one! Bear hug to OP