+278

People don't like different. It scares them if you don't conform. Even so called non-conformists become offended if you refuse to conform to their brand of non-conformity. Its part of human nature I suppose - shun those who dare to dream, who dare to be different, who dare to challenge society, who dare to change. amirite?

OneMoreSadSongs avatar
9 5
The voters have decided that OneMoreSadSong is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@986606

I do see what you mean, but I also agree with the gist of the post- flowery language aside. Perhaps in some places individuality is commonly encouraged, but there are also plenty of places left where being different is like wearing a sign that says "ostracize and judge me, please".

Black_No_1s avatar Black_No_1 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@986606

Quite possibly this post is conforming, I mean we have an entire generation determined to grow into their own, to be free from the chains and expectations of society, and yet at the same time we have just as many people content to judge and persecute that person who dares to be, think, and act differently from everyone else so we're not quite free from ourselves yet and it's quite a shame really. Being your own person regardless of pop culture, fads, and social norms isn't something that should be frowned upon - and just the same, being different for differents sake is not being different at all...

OneMoreSadSongs avatar OneMoreSadSong Yeah You Are -1Reply
@987411

And yet I can tell you from personal experience and from working in a mall that it still very much is. Most of the "individual/independent" people that we see today all act the same and dress the same - there are very few independent personalities and those that are so are very much shunned by others for not conforming to everyone else's view of "right".