-78

You cut yourself once when you were upset to see what all the hype was about. It went something like this: "Sob sob I'm sad cause my boyfriend/girlfriend did something or whatever blah. I'm going to see if this really hel--OUCH! WHAT THE HELL! WHO DOES THIS!? MAN THAT WAS DUMB!" and that was the end of that. amirite?

bethnotbaths avatar
17 156
The voters have decided that bethnotbath is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I've never done this, but I just almost fell out of my chair laughing so I'm homepaging it. My mom told me to be quiet.

ultispys avatar ultispy Yeah You Are +43Reply

And then there are the people, like myself, who tried it and got themselves addicted. o_o

@I haven't.

(Your+name+(optional)): Haven't what? Stopped cutting?

@Yep

(Your+name+(optional)): Oh. Yeah, it's can become a serious mental addiction. I needed a lot of support from friends in order to stop. :/

@Yep

(Your name (optional)): I hope that you can get over that...

@:( But you're so pretty.

Thanks, haha, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get depressed, unfortunately. :/

@Nicole_Anonymous Just what I was thinking. :(

have you stopped? and if you need anyone to talk to just let me know i'll always be there!

@Nicole_Anonymous In the process of stopping. Thank you. :)

good its not healthy and there are so many better ways to deal with everything. i have been depressed before too and luckily never resorted to cutting but i did attempt suicide. i am now feeling much better but there are still those days so i know how you feel! but really talk to me if you ever need to. i worked out my depression on my own but if there were someone to help me it would of been so much better. so really let me know if you need to talk.

@Bethanytheravenclaw good its not healthy and there are so many better ways to deal with everything. i have been depressed before too...

Thanks, I will. I haven't gone that far and things are starting to get better so I don't think I ever will go that far, which is great. I've found what helps me other than that so I just blare my music instead. Its nice to know that even random strangers care! :)

@Nicole_Anonymous Thanks, I will. I haven't gone that far and things are starting to get better so I don't think I ever will go that...

music helped me too. it was actually Wrock that helped me xD wizard rock a genre about harry potter music xD it really does suck getting that far because i am just young i am only 15 for gods sake! its always good to know people care it was a guy off the internet that first brought it to my attention that i needed to get better. i was talking to him about how his fiance killed herself and how it left him a wreck i just didn't want to do that to anyone and thats really why i tried hard to get better. so thats why i try to reach out to people because i know a stranger helped me and i would love to be that stranger to someone :D

@Bethanytheravenclaw music helped me too. it was actually Wrock that helped me xD wizard rock a genre about harry potter music xD it...

Yeah I know. I'm 15 too and my boyfriend is who made me realize that I'm too young to feel so depressed and he's the one who has helped me to stop. I haven't cut in almost a month.

@906970

Yeah, I am. I mean, I've had urges to start again, which is all part of recovering from an addiction, but I can proudly say I've never given into them. :D

@907044

Mm, I started on my wrists but moved to my thighs when that became too obvious. And talk to? I had some close friends who helped me stop, and now if I ever get urges my boyfriend is there for me. He wasn't around when I was actually hurting myself, but I think of of his biggest fears is me starting again, so he likes to help however he can.

@907114

Yeah, it is nice. And he is a good guy, but I know that the whole thing really scares him a lot. :/ But I think that as long as he's around I'll be alright. :)
I think it's good that you can trust your mom, at least. My parents have the bad habit of accusing me of melodramatics, when half the time I'm being legit. My mom's also expressed on numerous occasions how disgusting and repulsive self-mutilation is, so if I ever came clean to her about it, it wouldn't be pretty, and I might end up in Carrier (local mental hospital).

@907242

Yeah, it's nice to have someone to confide in.
It's awful that you don't, and even worse that your brother told. :/
I get that all the time from my parents, and it makes me feel awful.

@907323

Yeah, I have an 11 year old brother too, so I can relate. And yeah, my parents can be pretty cruel. I deal best I can though, haha. It's good you found someone to talk to. It's so hard to drop an addiction without support.

I actually considered it... Wow, I was really pathetic in 7th grade.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way +20Reply
@Lkun I actually considered it... Wow, I was really pathetic in 7th grade.

Right there with you. All of middle school was a drag, really. I'm almost embarassed about how I handled myself, haha.

BeatleBabes avatar BeatleBabe Yeah You Are +15Reply

Pffft. In fifth grade I was going to kill myself. I was ten! Ten! Really, a suicidal ten-year-old. I backed out at the last minute though but I was really close to doing it.

I was a weird, depressed kid. It makes me laugh.

Yeah, I considered it for almost all of my sixth grade year, but I never did it because I knew that it would just hurt. I hate pain.

3rd grade. I was one depressed little gradeschooler, man.

I can press the knife to my skin, but I could never bring myself to drag it across.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +14Reply
@906963

I agree entirely.

@907047

Yeah, my relationship with my parents was often strained, and that really tore me apart. I don't remember if I cut over problems with friends, but it's possible I did. When something upset me it was one of the first things I turned to, unfortunately. :/

@907149

Oh damn... I've never gone as far as to cut in school. But my friends that helped... some of them definitely genuinely cared, but others probably just wanted me to be normal, as if cutting was some terminal disease that I must be rid of. Eh, either way, the support was nice.

@907262

Mhm. People also don't realize that you can get addicted to it. It's like a drug in its own right. :/

@907328

Yup. :/ The same goes for a lot of things: People have a tendency to bash something they know nothing about. :/

@907369

What really gets me mad is when people equate being emo to cutting. :P

@907390

Yeah. :/ Emo is a genre of music, so I have no idea how it even came to describe people.

@907405

Same here. I remember being called emo because I wore excessive amounts of black eyeliner for a while, and that really made no sense to me.

@907446

Bwahaha, I don't wear much either. Just eyeliner and mascara. But yeah, and it's annoying as hell. -.- Intolerance stems from ignorance, it seems.

@907464

I love how we got onto the subject of makeup somehow. xD
And yeah, it's really not. I'd rather be informed and able to make an intelligent opinion.

@907483

Yeah, that's pretty much how my thought process works. I link the most random events together by the thinnest of threads. When someone says something I usually end up laughing because it makes me think of something else that's completely unrelated.
Yay smart people!

@907505

I want to. But I don't have a Facebook. D:

@907528

Hard to comprehend, I know, but it's true. D: It's a long story. But basically, a year ago, I had a Facebook, and now I don't. :|

@907545

Yeah. :( Hopefully being amirite buddies will suffice for now, as I've certainly enjoyed our conversations. :D
Anyway, I don't know where you live, but here it's almost 2 am, so I think I'm going to hit the sack. G'night! :D

@907047

it's ridiculous to scar yourself over anything. I get that it's a way for people to deal with things, but it isn't a good way and the reasons you cut aren't

kackys avatar kacky No Way 0Reply
@kacky it's ridiculous to scar yourself over anything. I get that it's a way for people to deal with things, but it isn't...

Cutting causes the body to release healing endorphins that make you feel better. It may not be good, but I know that it definitely helped me be able to relax and calm down when I was most upset.

@kacky you can also release endorphins by going for a run.

And having sex.

Wait, that's not what we're talking about?

No, but being serious, I hate running, and cutting worked for me. It may not make sense in your mind, but it's an escape for a lot of people.

@bethnotbath I'd go with sex. But I'm too lazy to run and too narcissistic to cut.

Yes, out of the three sex definitely seems like the most appealing. And then cutting. And then running.
I'm lazy too. :3

@annikarosee And having sex. Wait, that's not what we're talking about? No, but being serious, I hate running, and cutting...

no it makes sense. but why on earth would someone choose to hurt themselves instead of something good for them that works just as well like running, or yeah, having sex? a lot of times cutting just seems like an excuse to have a pity party for yourself

kackys avatar kacky No Way -8Reply
@kacky no it makes sense. but why on earth would someone choose to hurt themselves instead of something good for them...

See my below comment. You could say the same thing about everything else I listed. Personally I didn't do it to feel bad for myself, I did it because it made me feel better. Shrugs

i don't know why my first post got cut off. the rest is supposed to say... "better" than anyone else's reasons.

kackys avatar kacky No Way 0Reply
@kacky i don't know why my first post got cut off. the rest is supposed to say... "better" than anyone else's reasons.

Being "better" than other people's reasons isn't relevant. Fact is, everyone has problems. Fact is, everyone has a way of dealing with them. Some people eat, some people smoke, some drink, some do drugs, and some cut. Everyone has their vice. Sometimes it does more harm than good, but that's the way things work.

@annikarosee Being "better" than other people's reasons isn't relevant. Fact is, everyone has problems. Fact is, everyone has a...

my comment about "better" reasons wasn't directed at you. actually my whole first post was directed at homosexualpumpkins. he/she said
"My close friend cuts over serious problems, and I cut over personal problems at home. It's ridiclous to scar yourself over someone who probably didn't love you yet."

now read my first comment. totally in response to that, not you.

kackys avatar kacky No Way 0Reply

and also, no not everyone deals with their problems in bad ways. I exercise and talk to people. Some people go see a therapist. no harm done.

kackys avatar kacky No Way 0Reply
@kacky and also, no not everyone deals with their problems in bad ways. I exercise and talk to people. Some people go see...

This is true. Unfortunately a lot of people either don't know how, can't, or just don't want to do things like that. It's really pretty sad. :/

@907340

you don't need to go to a gym to work out.

kackys avatar kacky No Way 0Reply

This post = freaking hilarious (even if I would never cut, there are better ways to let out my depression, which involve reading Harry Potter and punching things and swimming, for those of you who are cutting and would like to stop)

@EstoniaObsessed This post = freaking hilarious (even if I would never cut, there are better ways to let out my depression, which...

Man, I read Harry Potter when I'm sad, happy, angry, confused, hyper, lonely. You get the idea. I read Harry Potter a lot.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are +8Reply
@bethnotbath Man, I read Harry Potter when I'm sad, happy, angry, confused, hyper, lonely. You get the idea. I read Harry Potter...

"Man, I read Harry Potter when I'm sad, happy, angry, confused, hyper, lonely." dude!! You shouldve more! Like - hungry, tired, pooping, on crack, off crack, sleeping, watching TV, eating... Idk I thoguht that whould made me laugh harder..

@EstoniaObsessed It's the best cure for anything.

True. I'm getting a Harry Potter tattoo soon. Nerds FTW.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are +4Reply
@bethnotbath True. I'm getting a Harry Potter tattoo soon. Nerds FTW.

That is awesome :D I would never do that simply because my aunt is a tattoo artist and scares me with horror stories about tattoos, but that is badass.

@EstoniaObsessed That is awesome :D I would never do that simply because my aunt is a tattoo artist and scares me with horror...

I've looked into it a lot. It's just going to be small, like a lightning bolt or something.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are 0Reply

Hooked for 5 years and in 14... Just stopped 15 days ago.

@LollipopBeer Hooked for 5 years and in 14... Just stopped 15 days ago.

it can be rough...i did it for five years too...its hard to get out of...good luck to you.

Seventh grade, my awkward year.

Prosopagnosias avatar Prosopagnosia Yeah You Are +8Reply

I don't mean to offend, but I find it hard to sympathize with people who cut. I know a few people who do or did, and it seems counterproductive. You're hurting emotionally, so why would you want to hurt physically, too? I also know plenty of people who don't cut who I WOULD sympathize with, because their lives are awful. Because of these people, I don't sympathize with cutters.
But people are all different. I hesitate posting this because I know people will jump down my throat.

@907056

I guess I understand the reaction. Like, chemicals get released when you're hurt and all that jazz. I still just think there are better ways of dealing. I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago, but I found different ways to cope. Mostly it involved getting off my ass and DOING something. It was hard, yeah, but it works. I haven't felt depressed in a long time.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are +1Reply
@bethnotbath I don't mean to offend, but I find it hard to sympathize with people who cut. I know a few people who do or did...

the thing is it just feels really, really good. i did for a while and then stopped (i didn't want to be part of another statistic haha).
you know how when you get poison oak and it itches soo much? and then you scratch it really hard and it hurts, but feels so so good at the same time? that's what it feels like sometimes. just like scratching an itch under your skin or something.

@907063

I've studied about self-mutilation in my psychology classes. This link seems to describe people who have Borderline Personality Disorder. Self-mutilation is a common symptom. I feel sympathy for people who actually have BPD, but most people don't. I just don't find cutting yourself a reasonable response to most situations. Sorry if I sound rude, but you probably won't change my mind.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are +5Reply
@907163

Yeah, I'm 19. You're the age the I was when "everyone was doing it". I don't want to sound patronizing or anything, but it all gets better. You'll probably feel silly in a few years when you can't even remember what those kids said to make fun of you. I know I thought I had it rough in middle school.

But I don't know your life, so I won't judge. If I had the chance to go back and tell myself anything it would be that life goes on and nothing is as bad as I think. I look back now and remember being an "emo" kid, dressed in all black and the whole 9 yards. And now I can't even remember what I was so 'unhappy' about.

nah...you said it nice. i agreee now...but i had it rough for five years so...i can see both sides of it...

Hahahahaha I've never done this but I YYA and homepaged it cause it's freaking hilarious :)

I cut myself once not for emotional reasons but because I was freaking retarded and wanted a cool scar ono smilie

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@528491 I cut myself once not for emotional reasons but because I was freaking retarded and wanted a cool scar

My friend did this. He was disappointed that he didn't get a scar, hah. But I consider him lucky, because he was in like 6th grade and the cut was in the shape of a stick figure masturbating. He's a weirdo.

@bethnotbath My friend did this. He was disappointed that he didn't get a scar, hah. But I consider him lucky, because he was...

When i was in 6th grade thyere was this group of girls cutting so they could have scars in the shape of little hearts and stars! I thought it was incredibly stupid!

RawwrImALions avatar RawwrImALion Yeah You Are +1Reply

I did an M for my initial on my hand but thankfully it didn't scar, and omg that would have been terribly hilarious if his actually had scarred,

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I cut myself once, to see what it was like. I was feeling down that night, but the cut somehow made me feel better. It hurt when I did it, but the thing I noticed, was that the pain felt addictive...like nicotine...I wanted more of it. Ever since then, I've been craving the pain of cutting again, but I've managed to overcome it.

Never done it (or will) but this post madey day :).

track_stars avatar track_star Yeah You Are +2Reply

This is hilarious haha!

karen_xoxos avatar karen_xoxo Yeah You Are +1Reply

I did when I was 13 and it felt great and haven't stopped since. I try my hardest to stop, alas, I can't bring my self to it.
Anyone have any tips? :/

@TheLorax I did when I was 13 and it felt great and haven't stopped since. I try my hardest to stop, alas, I can't bring my...

getting someone to help is good and the rubber band works for some but in truth you have to find what works for you. Some read, some run, some swim, some punch things, some do drugs (that's not what I would recommend), I myself sit in a rom by myself or put in some headphones and blast some music really loud. You really just have to find what works best for you.

I've never had to experience this, but I've heard some good tips. Each time you go to cut, look at the body part that you are about to harm and imagine that it is the body of someone that you love or that loves you like a family member or a friend. Another thing I've heard is to just take a red marker and draw with it or dip it in water so that the ink swirls. I've heard that the illusion of blood can help sometimes. I don't know how well these work, but I hope you can get past this :)

Dea@907140 (TheLorax): Get support from someone you can trust. Be it a friend, a guidance counselor, or even a parent. It's nearly impossible to stop on your own.

Dear OP,
I am sorry for raping the comments section of your post.
Love, Annika.

@annikarosee Dear OP, I am sorry for raping the comments section of your post. Love, Annika.

Nooo kidding, I had no idea this would cause so much controversy. I like it.

I did it.. in 6th Grade..
I wasn't depressed or anything..
I got bored while watching Epic Movie and decided that i should just start cutting myself for no reason what so ever. The next day I went to school dressed like an emo telling everyone I was emo showing them my 'cuts'... I barley did anything, but I still did cut myself..
It was a REALLY stupid idea...

Canadian_Ninjas avatar Canadian_Ninja Yeah You Are +1Reply

For me... it was not the end of that.

I was really depressed in fourth grade, I thought about suicide and whether anyone would miss me. I never ayyempted this year I have had really bad moments. I sometimes poke myself with neelds when I'm really upset it , it doesn't leave noticble scars. But now I'm better butimes I just get so sad and depressed. My mom makes me this way and I recently ttalked to her.

GarrettsHotBabes avatar GarrettsHotBabe Yeah You Are +1Reply

GarrettsHotBabe: Do you have someone you can talk to when she makes you upset? Finding someone who can easily cheer you up and forget about it is always a good thing. It helps me.

Haha, I was in 9th grade, so you're less pathetic than I am.
Ah, childhood.

@bethnotbath Haha, I was in 9th grade, so you're less pathetic than I am. Ah, childhood.

I'm probably more pathetic because I considered it so that i could be "Cool."

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way +15Reply
@Lkun I'm probably more pathetic because I considered it so that i could be "Cool."

My logic was that everyone else did it so it MUST help. I've never been more wrong.

bethnotbaths avatar bethnotbath Yeah You Are +13Reply

Ummmmm no

Okay I never understood this at all. wouldn't blood be squirting everywhere? So do you do it in the shower so you can clean it up easier or...? I think this post explains it though, idk get why it would help is all. Its seems to painful to be effective.

I cut for a few years, because it made my emotional pain physical, and because of the release I felt after. I don't think you can really explain the feeling unless you've been there yourself. I hid it from everyone, but an incident landed me in hospital and I was forced to go to a psychologist and psychiatrist. It was honestly the best thing for me and I would recommended it for anyone who's in a similar situation. It might be hard to ask for help, but you owe it to yourself to get better.

Just puttin' out a relevant song :D
People are gonna get offended...

ultispys avatar ultispy Yeah You Are 0Reply
@907647

I explained above. Cutting releases healing endorphins that make you feel better. People get mentally addicted to that. It's just like smoking or drinking, and for some reason those things are socially acceptable.

@annikarosee I explained above. Cutting releases healing endorphins that make you feel better. People get mentally addicted to...

People who think that cutting is just as addictive as smoking or drinking obviously don't know the mechanics of addiction. Cutting releases endorphins. Cool beans. It's only addictive on a mental level, based on a reward system set up by your brain. Cutting = feeling good. Alcohol and tobacco create a physical dependency, meaning your body craves them, and you will go through withdrawal if you don't get them. There's a huge difference between an addiction to cutting and an addiction to smoking/drinking.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Mike_Hawk People who think that cutting is just as addictive as smoking or drinking obviously don't know the mechanics of...

I never said there was a physical addiction. I always said mental. But sometimes that's powerful enough.

Wow, apparently cutting makes for some very stimulating conversation. In all honesty, I'd really rather people cut to deal with their problems than turn to smoking or drinking to deal with stress. Sure, it's bodily harm, but does it really cause any long term damage?

Best case scenario, though, I think people should turn to drugs. Not crack or heroin or anything, I mean the safe stuff. Cannabis, MDMA, LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline. (Weed, ecstasy, acid, shrooms, and peyote) They can certainly help with problems, and most have been used in therapy.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are -5Reply
@908692

Marijuana isn't addictive. Alcohol, on the other hand, is so addictive that a heavy drinker can die if they quit cold turkey.

I know the mechanics of cutting. I'm just saying, it's preferable to smoking tobacco or drinking, because the person will end up dead if they do either of those in excess.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are -1Reply