Pedo_Cats avatar Education
4 94

Religious leaders often get carried away and teach creationism as a fact, not theory.

@DanielJames Religious leaders often get carried away and teach creationism as a fact, not theory.

well religious leaders aren't payed by the public to teach in a non-bias manner are they?

Pedo_Cats avatar Pedo_Cat Yeah You Are +19Reply

I hate it when my teachers teach gravity like it's a fact, not a theory.

@Rawtoast Isn't it the law of gravity? just saying.

Gravity itself is a law, but we understand and explain it through a theory.

my science teacher said "well of course we all know that this isn't true, but yaknow, i gotta teach it."
fucking kentucky.

All in good reason, kind sir

They should teach Simon's Theory instead:

-Simon, how did the universe begin?
-IT JUST FUCKING HAPPENED, OK?
-But why are we here?
-BECAUSE SHUT THE FUCK UP, THAT'S WHY.

"theists make a theory sound like something you think up after being drunk all night"

donpatchs avatar donpatch No Way +18Reply

You mean like physics teachers get carried away and teach universal gravitation as fact, not theory? Theory is about as good as you can get in science.

eldoritos avatar eldorito No Way +16Reply
@1006533

who said God is a wizard? More like a miracle worker.

@1007625

I can understand them praying that they are able to get around and not have to struggle too much, that He helps them learn too live without or have people around to help, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who things he can magically make them grow back.

And that's totally irrelevant.

@1007730

like I said, he's not a wizard. We aren't starfish, our limbs cannot grow back if we lose them.

@1007752

you don't need to call religion stupid. Did I say your beliefs are stupid? No. So don't insult me for my beliefs.

@1006533

Actually Tia did it.

TheTall123s avatar TheTall123 Yeah You Are -2Reply

i love how atheists complain how religious people are with pushing their beliefs on everyone, but the second someone says something about evolution they all go batshit and start making fun of religion.
calm the fuck down people.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +15Reply
@no one has made fun of religon yet

.. calling god a wizard and saying religious ideas as a whole sounds like something a drunk came up with sound like jests in my book.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are 0Reply
@meh. i thought it was funny, not making fun

oh it's definitely funny. i like the hangover one best. nevertheless, some people act like what they believe is concrete fact- both atheists AND religious people. and when they make jokes about it, it may just be in all fun, but deep down they kind of believe it.
everyone needs to shut up and just live life. stop being concerned about pointless shit.

@rowanne oh it's definitely funny. i like the hangover one best. nevertheless, some people act like what they believe is...

yes they both do, but yo uhave to admit the wizard in the sky IS more far fetched. and yes, yes they do

@yes they both do, but yo uhave to admit the wizard in the sky IS more far fetched. and yes, yes they do

eh. everything can seem far fetched if you think about it too long. like space being infinite. that mind fucks me every time. religion is none of my concern, however. i live life, i don't try to figure things out that won't actually help me.

@its not that its infinite its that its always expanding

same thing, yeah? if it's always expanding, then it becomes infinite.

@rowanne same thing, yeah? if it's always expanding, then it becomes infinite.

not really. constantly expanding means it is a set size. infinite means it goes on forever. you cannot expand on forever.

@rowanne huh. i guess so. either way, it's hard to grasp.

very. you know whats even harder to grasp tho? what if there was NOTHING.

They also teach Newton's Laws of Motion as fact not theory, is that worth crying about?

Scientific Theory =/= The word "theory" in any other context.

Zeerusts avatar Zeerust No Way +13Reply

inb4 giant comment war

Scientific theory means something different than a normal theory... For example, gravity is a scientific theory. Have a little background information before you assume things.

@1006645

It really wouldn't though...

@1006645

You've obviously never heard of occams razor.
And by the way we were all created by the flying spagheeti monster.
All hail his noodlyness

Theory: Guess, Speculation.
SCIENTIFIC Theory: Based on the careful and rational examination of facts.

Scientific theories interpret the facts. While it's true that they can never be proven, they're based on concrete facts. When it comes down to it, evolution may be a theory, but it involves solid evidence. Creationism does not.

@Zeerust Thank you. :)

It really bothers be when religious people think that just because evolution isnt 100% provable, that people who believe in it are wrong. Their beliefs are more farfetched than the theory of evolution so I don't understand where they come off telling people that evolution is crazy.

Maybe God created each original animal and when he turned them loose in all the different environments they began to evolve. One type of snail became many types of snail depending on what was needed to survive in each place God had put them. In that case, everyone would be right.

@FlyingGuineaPig Maybe God created each original animal and when he turned them loose in all the different environments they began...

that's called intelligent design. thats still a religious argument so the evolutionists don't win by any means.

@brunetterox915 that's called intelligent design. thats still a religious argument so the evolutionists don't win by any means.

I thought intelligent design was another name for creationism, which said that God created every individual kind of animal.

@1006958

intelligent design is the concept of god guiding evolution to what he wants it to be, which is what the church teaches today. while it involves evolution, it also involves god on a huge scale, so therefore people who are atheistic evolutionists are bound to reject this theory as well.

@1006996

it still involves god creating everything, which is why a lot of people will still reject it.

The whole idea of science is to explain things using evidence, not evoking magic to explain things not yet understood completely

They do the same thing in chemistry as well, don't get so uptight about everything

Notice how many of the most educated people (scientists, doctors, etc...) believe in evolution, while many of the less educated beleive in god. Just something to think about

@AMlRITE Notice how many of the most educated people (scientists, doctors, etc...) believe in evolution, while many of the...

Copernicus, Galileio, Kepler and Isaac Newton were Christians. Not all scientists are atheists. Many of them believe in God. It's not like to two cannot coexist.

If you don't believe it, you should stand up against it even if you fail a test.

My biology teacher said "We do not prove things in science. It is impossible. So for all intents and purposes, scientific theories should be regarded as facts until disproven." For students who don't believe in the theory of evolution, but are being taught it in school anyway, there is no need to make a snit about it. Simply accept that you are learning one interpretation of the world through school, and you can learn others from your parents, your church, the media, your expiriences... They give you the option to learn a variety of views on life so that you can choose what to believe, and be free to practice any religion or lack thereof you wish. Or, if you don't want to think that way, you can simply be hearing what the opposition has to say, so as to better defend your own perspective. And if you fail the test because you put down that God did it, well don't think of the test as asking you for the truth, think of the test as asking you to recite what you have been told.

Mine does the opposite.

willisjaws avatar willisjaw Yeah You Are 0Reply

same with religion teachers i suppose

@danilol same with religion teachers i suppose

But at most schools, there isn't a required Religions class. You generally take a Religions class because you want to.

gananass avatar gananas Yeah You Are +1Reply
@gananas But at most schools, there isn't a required Religions class. You generally take a Religions class because you want to.

that's true but the same goes for history
at my school anyways we don't have to take either
i take history because i want to

What you probably mean is ‘Evolution is not proven fact, so it should not be promoted dogmatically.’ The problem with using the word ‘theory’ in this case is that scientists usually use it to mean a well-substantiated explanation of data. This includes well-known ones such as Einstein’s Theory of Relativity and Newton’s Theory of Gravity. I agree with you that the evolution theory shouldn't be taught as a fact though, because as Belc said, they do not follow the scientific method when it comes to evolution - they CAN'T follow the scientific method, because you can't really test things from the past.

There are GIANT gaps in the theory of evolution, so its just as easy to believe in god as in evolution. Seeing as though neither of them can be proven true.

@1006635

Believing in evolution doesn't mean you're an atheist... Evolution doesn't say we came from monkeys...

@1006759

you're losing every argument you're starting. i would just stop.

@1006896

actually people putting you down because of your opinion is the very definition of losing an argument.

@1006759

So maybe one was...

Hmmm...the scientists believe that evolution is a fact...what does that tell ya?

@AtheisticMystic Hmmm...the scientists believe that evolution is a fact...what does that tell ya?

I'm a biologist - hold a BS in Biology from the University of MN, and I do not believe evolution is true. There are serious problems with the theory that the scientific community refuses to address with honesty - they try to force everything to fit their theory since it's the only theory at the moment. They do not follow the scientific method when it comes to evolution, unfortunately. It's in a class all its own for some reason.

belc0011s avatar belc0011 Yeah You Are -8Reply
@TheTall123 You have a BS in Biology. BULL SHIT IN BIOLOGY

It's a bachelor's of science, if no one ever told you. I'm working toward my BS in Zoology, and I don't believe in macroevolution, either.

Stepharoos avatar Stepharoo Yeah You Are -1Reply
@ValerieFace Not much. Scientists are wrong quite often.

Religious figures are wrong even more often.

@Religious figures are wrong even more often.

I agree, we get it wrong too, sometimes.

ValerieFaces avatar ValerieFace Yeah You Are 0Reply

inb4 bitchy athiests who will go on and on about how evolution is actually fact... oh too late

Anonymous