-340

Saying the wheel was invented is like saying that the first man invented water because he figured out how to drink it. The wheel was not invented, it was discovered, amirite?

Bretts avatar Philosophy
0 38
The voters have decided that Brett is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Round objects were discovered... Putting those round objects to use as " a wheel" is an invention

@Round objects were discovered... Putting those round objects to use as " a wheel" is an invention

The wheel itself wasnt invented. The inventions that used the wheel for other purposes were invented.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -22Reply
@Brett The wheel itself wasnt invented. The inventions that used the wheel for other purposes were invented.

Sure you can find a rolling object in nature, but there is no naturally occurring cylinder used for transportation. Therefore Man invented the wheel. That's like saying nobody invented the hockey stick because there were pieces of wood in that shape anyways.

@Canuckfanatic Sure you can find a rolling object in nature, but there is no naturally occurring cylinder used for transportation...

I could make a case for that. People discovered that bent sticks were best for hitting a puck. They didn't invent the bent stick, they just recreated them.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Brett I could make a case for that. People discovered that bent sticks were best for hitting a puck. They didn't invent...

But by improving the stick by widening the blade and molding the best possible shape and adding a curve, they effectively 'invented' the hockey stick. Before that it was just a bent stick.

@Brett A hockey stick is essentially a bent stick.

But it's not! You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that 'invention' is the improvement and refinement of an idea or object to give it a purpose! Nobody invented the lightbulb I guess because fireflies exist! Nobody invented the telephone because everybody speaks!

I'm starting to think that making this post was a bad idea.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Brett I'm starting to think that making this post was a bad idea.

Well, anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that wheels (round objects), are found all throughout nature, so it wasn't invented, it was discovered. Does anyone want to give me a reason why not?

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Thomas the wheel and axle was invented.

The saying is "invented the wheel."

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Brett The saying is "invented the wheel."

Yeah I guess you can argue that nothing was invented then. For example, Edison discovered the natural elements of carbon filament in an oxygen-free bulb, and 50 Cent discovered the Candy Shop.

Dwights avatar Dwight No Way +41Reply

Because the wheels in practical use aren't naturally-occurring. Pretty much all inventions are inspired by things in nature, but, unlike water, they aren't literally the things from nature themselves.

Objects that convert light waves into corresponding electrical signals exist in nature (i.e. the eye)... but the digital camera was still an invention.

@1081043

that was pretty powerful logic

@1081043

Why'd you make me the grumpy one?

Better phrasing would be 'utilized' not discovered. Because with that simile you are saying the man 'discovered' water. No, he utilized water to sustain himself, just as people utilized the wheel.

One day a famous architect from the Egyptian Empire was voyaging in the desserts, he was looking for a proper burial site for his beloved king. While looking he found a scorpion nest, just a couple feet two the left. They chased him miles out, until he could barely see his home town. While walking back he found a marvelous creature that was cylinder shaped. He names this exotic species a wheel after his Grandpa Wheel. He domesticated two (a female and male) and brought them home. They breaded and increased in number. Now wheels can be found any where in any habitat, thanks to this architect.

Hey guys check out that iPad 2 that Steve Jobs discovered!!!

No.

Just because there are naturally occurring round objects are found in nature, doesn't mean that we didn't invent the wheel.

That's like saying that we only discovered the soup can because a tree trunk is the same shape.

@1324097

Pfft, what an idiot. Everyone knows that walking and breathing were discovered.

Something that it naturally found is not an invention, like trees, rivers, fire, etc. However, creating something new is an invention, like tree-houses, canals, and candles, etc. Sure, stuff that is circular and rolls may be naturally found, but using the nature to your advantage and changing it to be more efficient is an invention.

No, the cavemen found some stone and built a fucking wheel. Do you see random wheels lying around? No...Do you see water? Yes.

Wheel: A circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move over the ground.
A log, for instance, would not be a wheel. It would be a cylinder. You could also "discover" a log rolled.
If you cut a round from that log, drilled a hole in the center and put a smaller stick through the center you would have you have made something that is not naturally occurring a wheel.
Out of curiosity, what are the "wheels (round objects)" "found all throughout nature"? Is there a naturally occuring example of a wheel?

The first wheels were logs. I'm pretty sure I can go to a forest, find a fallen tree, remove any limbs, and roll it around. The concept was improved upon, however. The MODERN wheel is an invention. An ordinary wheel is not.

LOL!!!!
ur intellect just made my day

@LOL!!!! ur intellect just made my day

I was being sarcastic (just in case)

Anonymous