+126

If the democratic belief is to take away from the rich and give to the poor, then what's the point of getting a good education to get a good and high paying job? If I am going to be called selfish and racist and have my money taken away from me and given to the poor, then shouldn't I just become a poor person myself and take in all of the money that others worked hard for while I did nothing, ... amirite?

7 48

You act likethey take all your money and that poor people have it easy

@HopeImrite You act likethey take all your money and that poor people have it easy

Certain classes of the poor do nothing to contribute to society. They not only have it easier in that case, but they also receive liberal-created benefits such as welfare and such--so they also manage to leech from the rest of hard-working society.

Therefore there is no incentive for them to climb out of their state.

Democrats believe we should force everyone to help them. (Welfare takes from your tax money)

Republicans believe we should help them out of our own ways. (When you WILLINGLY contribute to charity)

WillAkanas avatar WillAkana Yeah You Are 0Reply
@WillAkana Certain classes of the poor do nothing to contribute to society. They not only have it easier in that case, but...

Do you think poor people like sitting on their asses and getting welfare checks? They'd much rather be working and earning their money. Charity and welfare create dependence. That is why America should create more jobs for the public and only have welfare for those who truly need it as a safety net in case they lose their job, to bounce them back onto their feet.

@_____________ Do you think poor people like sitting on their asses and getting welfare checks? They'd much rather be working and...

Ideally, that is what welfare is SUPPOSE to be--helping people while they're unemployed or such and such while they get back up. But that is unrealistic. People will and already do take advantage of the system, hence why I don't believe in the trust system of welfare. As you said, it creates dependence. And dependence means sitting on their asses, blaming society, and keeping in the dumps.

Creating more jobs has nothing to do with it...

@WillAkana Ideally, that is what welfare is SUPPOSE to be--helping people while they're unemployed or such and such while they...

Welfare is a safety net for the unemployed. When someone lucks out and their company goes bankrupt, they can't just go out and find a new job. They need some time to go out and look for jobs, go to interviews, and just make sure their life is in order. Welfare provides that, a nice little cushion for those who are unemployed. Unemployed don't get welfare checks forever. And even then, people would rather be working than sitting on their asses and not doing anything. Thereby, creating more jobs has everything to do with it.

@_____________ Welfare is a safety net for the unemployed. When someone lucks out and their company goes bankrupt, they can't just...

Again, I will say "Ideally, that is what welfare is SUPPOSE to be--helping people while they're unemployed or such and such while they get back up. But that is unrealistic. People will and already do take advantage of the system, hence why I don't believe in the trust system of welfare."

And people sit on their asses and live off welfare all the time dude...

WillAkanas avatar WillAkana Yeah You Are -1Reply

This argument is retarded. The percentage of people who actually think that it's not worth getting an education and a good job if you have to pay taxes is a very tiny minority. The fact is, regardless of high tax rates, being able to have your own house, afford various luxuries, pay for your kids' education is enough incentive to encourage people to become profitable members of society.
Also, don't exaggerate.
Nobody has ever proposed taking away ALL your money. Taxes are only a small percentage of your overall earnings. Will they make it somewhat harder to save up to install that outdoor pool you wanted? Yes. Will it bankrupt you? No.
Alternatively, living off welfare is actually not a comfortable way to live. Minimal financial resources, shoddy housing, the prospect of your children not receiving a good education and not having a successful future - none of this is very conducive to happiness. And many of the people on welfare are on it due to circumstances beyond their control.

@This argument is retarded. The percentage of people who actually think that it's not worth getting an education and...

(Your+name+(optional)): (cont) They might be recent immigrants or refugees. They might come from underprivileged and disenfranchised communities or perhaps they might have a troubled family background. There are a lot of obstacles to success in modern society and some people can't make it through life unscathed. Maybe you should consider things from their perspective.

(Your+name+(optional)): "And many of the people on welfare are on it due to circumstances beyond their control."

It's this kind of attitude that encourages everyone to look at the poor as if they cannot help but stay in the state they are in. I'm going to call bullshit on this one because it is far from the case.

Look at immigrants from the Far East or Asia, for example. Some came here with LITERALLY NOTHING, and yet they establish their own businesses.

Care to explain that?

So you're saying you'd rather be a homeless person because you would eventually get as much money as the people they're taking money away from? The raise in taxes were only for families who make more than $250,000 per year. The average income per family is about $46,000. They are giving the money to people who make around minimum wage. They don't give it to people who are on drugs, like someone said up there. And they don't directly give money to people. They give them food, shelter, and tax cuts. However, tax cuts won't even add 10% to their small income. If it ended up even for everyone, more people would have the same idea as you. But it doesn't end up anywhere near equal.

teehees avatar teehee No Way +6Reply
@teehee So you're saying you'd rather be a homeless person because you would eventually get as much money as the people...

How do you know the money does not go to drug addicts? Even then, it could just be going to prostitutes or women with 7 children from 7 fathers.

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are -3Reply
@Lkun How do you know the money does not go to drug addicts? Even then, it could just be going to prostitutes or women...

So, what you're saying is that we should withhold money from the poor because it has a chance of going to a drug addict?

@eldorito So, what you're saying is that we should withhold money from the poor because it has a chance of going to a drug addict?

Read my comment above... I think the government needs to regulate who gets the money and who does not. Unfortunately, that is impossible. I was only referring to your point about "not giving money to people who are on drugs."

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Lkun Read my comment above... I think the government needs to regulate who gets the money and who does not...

They don't give money to people who don't have a steady job. They can't find every single drug addict so giving it only to people who work is the best way. And not all drug addicts are poor. The government regulates it the best they can.

teehees avatar teehee No Way +1Reply

That's not the Democratic belief. Democrats care about people other than themselves.
It's just that the Republican belief is that the rich should get richer while the dirt poor stay dirt poor.

@That's not the Democratic belief. Democrats care about people other than themselves. It's just that the Republican...

Oh, bullcrap. Democrat beliefs have nothing to do with 'caring about people other than themselves'. It's about money and the economy, just like it always is in politics.

heysoulsisters avatar heysoulsister Yeah You Are +1Reply

Republicans aren't like that, and if ANY of you have witnessed what some of these people on welfare do, then you'd change your mind. For instance, they will purposely have more children to receive bigger checks from the government. There will ALWAYS be those individuals that don't deserve the money they receive from the government. I know quite a few who receive unemployment checks, which they spend entirely on meth, and they still receive the checks if they show proof that they have applied for two jobs every two weeks. I have absolutely no issue with helping those in sincere need, I believe it's important for us to work together as a society and help eachother. However there should be stricter regulations on who exactly receives money.

Republicans act as if everybody who is poor brought it upon themselves. Not everybody is smart enough to be a doctor. Not everybody is a trust-fund baby. Not everybody is lucky enough to start a successful business.

That's a piece of rhetoric if I've ever seen one.
Even scarier, the +28 conservative count this post has.

.<

people living in poverty dont have the same education opportunities as others... and therefore cannot get a high paying job

@people living in poverty dont have the same education opportunities as others... and therefore cannot get a high...

False. If you work hard enough, you can make it anywhere. I'm poor, but I'm smart, college is a free ride. And it's a good college too.

Someone's been watching too much Fox News....

kw94s avatar kw94 No Way +3Reply

If someone needs welfare but is trying to get back on their feet then I have no problem with my tax money going to welfare. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell whether your money is going to a productive member of society or some leech who spends the money on strippers and cocaine. If only the government was capable of cutting the undesirables off welfare.

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +2Reply

Okay, by your logic, I shouldn't have to pay my taxes for your son/daughter to go to public school or get books from the library, since your kid MAY drop out and/or fail.

Explain the logic please? Why should I work hard? I am just going to have to "donate" an exponential percentage of my money based on how much money I make. But of course, the reason why I care about my money is because I am a "white greedy bastard" who doesn't care about poor people. If I am going to be getting money that other people work hard for, then why should I even try to get a job?

STFU people. This is why parties shouldn't exist.

Caity, my mother is a defense attorney for the state and represents those who cannot afford to higher an attorney, and these are the sort of individuals she encounters. My friends are not meth addicts, so don't assume you know my life. Also, don't call me "darling", you pretentious bitch.

Hire*

Earn your own money, build your own life. Those who are greedy will get richer and richer, those who want to donate, will donate and help others. Nothing should be "taken away" from someone forcibly.

(#941626): that's really creepy you talk like that...

i agree with what you're saying, but the reason you work is because you have self-respect, unlike the disgusting morons you have to pay for.

@i agree with what you're saying, but the reason you work is because you have self-respect, unlike the disgusting...

Yes, the reason I work is because I have self respect. I also like having alot more money than I would on welfare. I pay taxes, and I feel proud that some of that money is going towards people who are struggling.

@SpearmintMilk Yes, the reason I work is because I have self respect. I also like having alot more money than I would on welfare...

fair enough, but i don't appreciate spending money i have earned myself to pay for other people. Why should i have to support them? If i can support myself, they should too. And if they are spoon-fed, they will never try.

@fair enough, but i don't appreciate spending money i have earned myself to pay for other people. Why should i have...

What about people with disabilities? Or people who were working for a company that went bankrupt? Or whatever multitude of reasons that people may be out of work for a while. Being on benefits isn't fun, it's just enough to survive, I know I wouldn't want to be on them and neither would most people. Yes there are some who choose to have a lesser quality life and live of welfare without trying, but it's not the majority. I don't want people and their family's starving with nowhere to live because I was too selfish to pay a few extra dollars in taxes. Besides there are other important things they go towards, like schools, roads, the defence force, police etc...

@SpearmintMilk What about people with disabilities? Or people who were working for a company that went bankrupt? Or whatever...

i never said don't pay taxes, i'm saying that i don't see why able-bodied people should be able to live off of MY money, if you want to help them, it should be done as a charity basis.

@i never said don't pay taxes, i'm saying that i don't see why able-bodied people should be able to live off of MY...

Has that worked anywhere else in the world? Do you really think that people would give up enough money to support everyone who needs help? If you say yes then you have more faith in humanity than I. Sometimes people are put in crappy situations and need help to get out of it especially when it's so hard to find a job. It is not going to help any country denying help to poor people and widening the gap between the classes and this has been shown throughout history. Just wondering, do you work, provide for yourself and pay bills and taxes?

now, whatever else you have to say won't be replied to until later, as i have to work.

@now, whatever else you have to say won't be replied to until later, as i have to work.

Heh well I guess that answers my last question (unless you're still living at home). Ok.

@SpearmintMilk Heh well I guess that answers my last question (unless you're still living at home). Ok.

Thank god for LAPDANCE. Great argument on your part, Spearmint. You should have brought up the fact that charity breeds dependence and how welfare is just a safety net for the unemployed.

@_____________ Thank god for LAPDANCE. Great argument on your part, Spearmint. You should have brought up the fact that charity...

Yes your exactly right it's a safety net. What good is any government if it doesn't look after it's people. Whichever party was in power welfare would still exist.