+225

Owning a camera doesn't make you a photographer. It just makes you a camera owner, amirite?

Noli_Me_Tangeres avatar Technology
0 9

I would say someone is a photographer if most or all of their income comes from photography. Just like you're only a model if your income mainly comes from modeling, or an actor if just acting pays your bills.
If you have another "regular" full time job, I would call things like photography, modeling, acting, art, and singing hobbies.

@1810942

Who decides which photographs are good?

By definition, a photographer is anyone that takes photos, just as a painter is someone who paints and a murderer is someone who murders.

@1810942

Someone who makes good photographs

Blucatts avatar Blucatt Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1810942

@polarlarlarlar_ bare I think OP means photographer in a strictly professional sense.

@1810942

Photographer:
someone who takes photographs professionally.

Most people consider a professional as someone who gets payed for their job, ie: a pro football player.

A picture is photography, but taking some and putting them on facebook doesn't make you a professional, and thus not a photographer.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1810942

Taking youtube videos of yourself and posting them on facebook doesn't make you an actor. Taking pictures and doing local shit like presenting them for free in art galleries would you a photographer. For the record, I was just going with the google definition of a photographer, I don't think you need to get paid for it to be one.

Anonymous