+58

We live in an age where women are considered to have equal, or even greater, power than men. So why do we have a problem with hitting women in a non-beating way? Surely if a woman can slap a man then a man should be allowed to slap a woman, amirite? amirite?

0 19

No one should hit another person except in self defense.

I may be missing something, but since when are women considered to have equal or greater power than men? It's been my perception that society is still somewhat misogynistic.
As for the rest of the post, I agree with miffedmuffin. And SpearmintMilk. Slapping should only be for self-defense, but men are more likely to cause greater harm to a woman than vice versa.

If a woman slaps a man across the face, with MOST woman, it's just going to sting. With most men, they slap a woman, it could easily cause a black eye, or other bruising, maybe worse a fracture depending on the force. Men are naturally stronger than woman, typically. Our bodies are made differently. In the military, woman recruits are known for having severe joint problems because our joints are weaker.

We can be equal with the same rights to everything without being anatomically identical. Now, I'm not saying a woman has a right to slap people, but a man having the ability to do more damage is something every man should consider before hitting a woman, or even a smaller person in general (for the weaker or smaller men).

@miffedmuffin If a woman slaps a man across the face, with MOST woman, it's just going to sting. With most men, they slap a...

It's not about who's stronger, it's about defending yourself. If a midget attacked me you can bet your ass I wouldn't hold off just because they were smaller than me.
Once you've attacked someone else you forfeit your right to claim the other person was in the wrong.

DryTurtles avatar DryTurtle Yeah You Are +8Reply
@DryTurtle It's not about who's stronger, it's about defending yourself. If a midget attacked me you can bet your ass I...

Midgets pose more of a threat. It's hard to hit them, and they have easier access to you most vulnerable area.

You're both right. If a midget comes up and charges you shouldn't think twice about beating them up. However, we should be wary about making it socially acceptable to hit someone weaker than you (or anyone in general).

What the hell, no one should be slapping anybody unless the situation really calls for it (like self defense).

It's completely wrong for a woman to hit a man, and if I were ever to lose control and hit my boyfriend (which I fortunately don't think would ever happen) then I'd have no problem with them hitting me straight back, especially if it was in self defence. But the truth is that I know that even if I get really furious, I'm so small and weak that the most I could ever inflict is a few bruises, whereas my boyfriend could beat me to a pulp. So I think that men generally need to exercise a bit more self-control than women.

@It's completely wrong for a woman to hit a man, and if I were ever to lose control and hit my boyfriend (which I...

Okay so what if your boyfriend attacked you and you grabbed a heavy metal object to defend yourself with. Suddenly you can do a lot more damage than him. Should you exercise a bit more self-control when defending yourself now? Maybe just timidly tap him with it because, sure he's attacking you, but you wouldn't want to injure him? No, that argument's seriously flawed.

DryTurtles avatar DryTurtle Yeah You Are 0Reply
@DryTurtle Okay so what if your boyfriend attacked you and you grabbed a heavy metal object to defend yourself with. Suddenly...

Well, hypothetically, I would attack him til he's down, not really caring how much damage I was doing, but when it became obvious he was no longer a threat I wouldn't then go on to bash his skull in if I didn't have to. But to be honest, I didn't interpret the post as being about attacking as such, more of mindlessly lashing when someone pisses you off, which is what a slap would be. If the woman is actually trying to seriously harm the man, then it's a different case.

@Well, hypothetically, I would attack him til he's down, not really caring how much damage I was doing, but when it...

A slap is going to do the same amount of damage whether it is a man or a woman doing the slapping. If that's the case, why is it only seen as okay if women mindlessly lash out when someone pisses them off? Both should be just as bad.

@DryTurtle A slap is going to do the same amount of damage whether it is a man or a woman doing the slapping. If that's the...

I totally agree that no one should ever hit anyone except in self-defence, I was just playing devil's advocate in explaining why the double standard is there. And I disagree that a slap will do the same amount of damage no matter who deals it. If I slapped my boyfriend as hard as I could, he would end up with a pink, stinging cheek that hurt for maybe half an hour, whereas if he slapped me as hard as he could I could get a split lip or a black eye, depending on how he landed it. if I were a particularly strong or athletic woman the self-control thing would apply to me too, but I'm not.

Wait, WTF is wrong with my post?

@1851554

I think OP was meaning that if a woman is mad at her boyfriend/husband/significant other, then it it as seen as less bad if she hits him than if he were to do the same to her.

@1851554

The post isn't arguing that guys should be allowed to hit girls without consequences. It's saying that if a guy is attacked by a girl it should be socially acceptable for him to defend himself.
You act as if beating women has always somehow been an important part of culture until the feminist movement started.

@1852157

Men can also be victims of domestic violence, but no one seeks to expose that.

DryTurtles avatar DryTurtle Yeah You Are +1Reply