+152

You find it hilarious that people can't share their religion in public schools, yet they go around shoving the theory of evolution down every student's throat, amirite?

Education
11 113

Not Really :/ The Theory of evolution is a Scientific thing Like the big bang theory, it's not even in the same category as Religion or have anything to do with religion.

@945513

They don't. They say it's a THEORY.

Taters avatar Tater No Way +32Reply
@945567

Your teacher is doing it wrong if they don't call it theory of evolution, which it is, automatically showing that it might not be true but is commonly regarded as true.

Taters avatar Tater No Way +11Reply
@945513

Gravity is also a theory. Should we not teach kids our best scientific model that explains our observations and is backed by credible evidence?

@945513

What is a theory? you sound like you think a theory isn't a scientific explanation incompassing laws and facts backed by large amounts of evidence.

@945589

Unless you can disprove a theory, it is regarded as true. Theories are rigorously tested, whether mathematically or with evidence. Either way, a theory is not just one simple sentence; theories are comprised of many parts, and unless you completely disprove every single part, you have not disproved the theory. However, if one part is disproved, then a modified theory will emerge, which must also satisfy the parts of the previous theory that were NOT disproved.

@945589

I agree, it is many facts not just one, put together.

@945513

And so is gravity

lanas avatar lana No Way 0Reply

INB4 SCRANTONCITY

@DanielJames INB4 SCRANTONCITY

inb4 400 comments on this post.

Tacomunchers avatar Tacomuncher Yeah You Are +8Reply

I guess we have to eliminate atomic theory and the theory of gravity aswell. Hey guys! Atoms and gravity aren't real!

@945531

Oh really because I was under the impression that the theory of gravity encompassed many laws of gravity.

@945547

Omg, do you know what science is? Of course it will change over time. That is science. All theories change over time, that doesn't mean that they aren't true, we are just getting closer to the Truth. The atomic theory has changed and we now know more about how electrons travel around an atom.

@945574

That is a Paradigm, not a scientific fucking theory.

@945592

Obviously

@945608

Don't act like you know anything on a subject which you clearly don't, and on which I've done research.

@945638

"don't act like you know everything" yea, you aren't a complete bitch at all!

@945662

Obviously I don't know everything, nor do j act like I do or have I ver claimed to. You saying that just makes you look like a bitch.

@945695

Why take part in an argument if it isn't something you are familiar with...

@945695

As long as you grasp the concept of what a theory really is my work here is done.

@ThatOneNut As long as you grasp the concept of what a theory really is my work here is done.

you could have gotten your point across without telling them they didnt know anything and calling them a bitch...

are u sure u have done research cause u sound kinda stupid..... im a biology major

@MrMclovin true but then again, who does?

"are u sure u done Dem research cause I a major in bilology hur dur dur.

@ThatOneNut "are u sure u done Dem research cause I a major in bilology hur dur dur.

its okay to feel stupid sometimes but learn to keep it inside okay?

@its okay to feel stupid sometimes but learn to keep it inside okay?

WTF are you talking about? You're the one who types like a 10 year old.

@ThatOneNut ^^ see above

r u talking about the way i used u instead of u. Or was it the way i used cause instead of because? Here let me make it so that even you can understand. "Are you sure you have done research because you sound kind of stupid."

@986977

aye aye capitan

@945544

You really can, and it's been done. There are plenty of Creationist sceintists along with the evolutionist ones. The point is, both require some faith because where did the energy come from for the big bang?

@You really can, and it's been done. There are plenty of Creationist sceintists along with the evolutionist ones...

the theory of evolution describes change over time, and most creationist scientists definitely believe in that. they just believe that god had a hand in cellular genesis and the creation of life.
pretty much all scientists accept the theory of evolution as viable.

Evolution is a scientific theory composed of thousands of scientific facts.

@dylanator007 Really, what facts support evolution? I'd like to know

Have you even heard of Darwin?
He found plenty of facts about it.

just for funsies:
-comparative biochemistry
-comparative embryology
-fossil record

those are just 3, there are MANY more.

@just for funsies: -comparative biochemistry -comparative embryology -fossil record those are just 3, there are...

do u know what i find hilarious? the fact that all of the supporters of evolution (of which i am) have just said that there are all of these facts and yet the only three that have been stated are kinda bullshit (no offense)
numero dos: a Theory is a theory because it can not be proven/disproven. although if u think about it it is kinda far fetched.
Numero tres: a LAW does not, i repeat does not explain why it only tells what it is and ThatOneNut u are truly a dumbass

Wait, what? Scranton didn't make this?!

@978999

Don't be an ass just because you don't fully understand something. Add it to the "it just happened. cuz of time & stuff" theory?

@Don't be an ass just because you don't fully understand something. Add it to the "it just happened. cuz of time &...

don't be an ass just because you don't fully understand something. that's not how evolution works.

People on this site really need to learn the difference between a normal theory and a scientific theory.

You probably go to some weird school.
At my school, you can take world religions as a class. And yes, I go to a public school.

I guess they shouldnt teach all other THEORIES in school then.

Taters avatar Tater No Way +7Reply
@Tater I guess they shouldnt teach all other THEORIES in school then.

atoms and gravity don't exist. People need to know this.

@ThatOneNut atoms and gravity don't exist. People need to know this.

It's plain ridiculous. The years of testing and proof must be false.

Taters avatar Tater No Way +11Reply
@945570

I just buried my dead nail yesterday...

They told me it was an accident, but no. YOU FUCKING MURDERED HIM

@979236

Anonymous is mad at you, not me. I'm just a shoulder to cry on

@979252

Don't worry Tater, I buried my nail with its favorite hammer. Now, when it comes back to life, it's going to buttrape you with a hammer. Yeah, the pointy side.

@979440

You're not...

Well you woul have to be one fucking nutty person to not believe evolution. After all, can't god/religion be disproved as well? Damn religious nuts.

Well, if religion WAS taught in public school, then it would probably be the Christan faith, then all the kids who weren't Cristian would have no place to go. Thats why they make church schools.

@Well, if religion WAS taught in public school, then it would probably be the Christan faith, then all the kids who...

Actually my school has large statements and images from the Koran on their walls...I don't know why but it's pretty stupid considering the grief a teacher would get for saying they're Christian

A theory can never truly be proven. The theory of evolution has yet to be disproven, however.

Evolution is real, claiming the earth is only 400 years old isn't. There's a difference.

Evolution isnt a theory...I spent a semester studying evolution and the first thing I learned was that evolution is a fact.

Ok guys, the word "theory" has a completely different meaning in a scientific context than it does in other subject areas.

"Usually scientific laws refer to rules for how nature will behave under certain conditions. Scientific theories are more overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics."

and

"A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence has been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory, a law will always remain a law."

I hate how the Mormons go around shoving the Theory of Magnets down everyone's throats.

Even if you don't believe that evolution of whales to wolves to people type evolution is true, you still can't really deny that evolution is happening all the time, making it a subject that should still be taught in order to properly understand subjects like biology.

@979085

highfive for Catholic schooling!

When you stop regarding things that have evidence supporting them as facts, what are you left with? I'm Christian, I don't believe in creationism. Or most of the Old Testament stories. How the fuck did the whole science vs. religion thing even get started? Two completely different concepts. no smilie

@979461

Haven't you ever watched and/or read "Angels and Demons"?

@The_Enlightened When you stop regarding things that have evidence supporting them as facts, what are you left with? I'm Christian...

How can you be an evolutionist & a Christian?? everythingthing physical appeared on it's own while God watched & did nothing? cuz that would mean humans are mere physical life forms & there would be no need for Jesus cuz when they're gone, they're gone. When did God step in & make us something more?

@How can you be an evolutionist & a Christian?? everythingthing physical appeared on it's own while God watched &...

God obviously created the universe. I don't really think our universe is the first or last universe there is, but God made them all if there are more. I don't really believe in creationism, because imagine I'm standing in a field and there is a rock ten meters in front of me. I tell you that to get it there, I pushed it forward ten meters. You look at the trail in the grass, though, and see that I moved it ten meters right, then ten forward, then ten left. Does that mean I don't exist? No. It's just a little curve ball, and truly, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important how the rock got there.

God stepped in a made us something more when we were ready for it. I guess Abraham was the first person to hear God, but I'd never really thought about this question and I might need to put more thought into it.

Really, though, God is like the wind. You can't see it, but you can see the effect it has on things. I haven't seen God, but I've seen God's effect on my life and my surroundings, and I'm a simple, peaceful person who's accepted Jesus Christ to be my savior. I think God is going to love me just as much even if I don't believe something as insignificant as how everything got here.

@980369

-bow- Why thank you.

Children, children. Calm down.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply

I feel like scientists need to start using a different word than "theory" for something that can't be proven yet is widely accepted as true based on many different studies/evidence just to prevent every retard nut-job from screaming "THEORY MEANS ITS NOT REALLY TRUE CUZ ITS A THEORY HUR IF IT WUS TRUE IT WUD BE A FACT DUH"

Religion/creationism is all theory. No evidence in support of it. It's all faith based. Evolution is scientific, therefore it should be taught in science class. It isn't something you can "believe in", it's something you know. Everyone has different religious views, they can't represent them because they are all faith based. And they really stress the part about how you can believe whatever you want, they aren't telling you what to believe.

Just to clarify: the reason there is a distinction between the theory of evolution and other theories (like atomic and gravitational) is because evolution is the only one with another side. No one has ever tried to fight saying gravity doesn't exist so there's no reason for controversy.

Champions avatar Champion Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Champion Just to clarify: the reason there is a distinction between the theory of evolution and other theories (like atomic...

But people have tried to prove that it works in other ways than how it is theorized to work. Even today. So I have no idea what you're talking about...

Ha! YYA: 69 NW: 69

Hooray for free thinking!
Evolutional creationists raise your hands.

Did you know that a watermelon is blue on the inside until you cut it open. Then it's red. Try disproving that. Yet they don't teach that... Hmmm

butterfly614s avatar butterfly614 Yeah You Are -5Reply

Its still the THEORY of evolution, not the truth of evolution. So yeah its pretty rude. Like most atheists here

Shortstopmwds avatar Shortstopmwd Yeah You Are -8Reply
@Shortstopmwd Its still the THEORY of evolution, not the truth of evolution. So yeah its pretty rude. Like most atheists here

Religious people act like a theory is something someone dreamed up after being drunk all night. Theories are defined as a well-substantiated explanation and accepted knowledge

HHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE MEANING OF THEORY WHEN USED SCIENTIFICALLY AND CONVENTIONALLY.

@Shortstopmwd there is not caps lock.

No matching results. Did you mean:

"There is no such thing as caps lock."
"There is not. Caps lock."
"Don't use caps lock."
"You left the caps lock on."

Most likely, you meant: GO FUCK YOURSELF, EH?