+158

The United States was built on the fundamentals of Christianity, and it is unfair that mottos such as 'one nation under God' are now being questioned because people are complaining about it going against their religion. England was a primarily Christian country, and its mottos are still being upheld despite how it's not primarily Christian today. amirite?

Politics
6 39

"Under God" added to the pledge of allegiance during the cold war in order to differentiate the US from atheist communist countries.

We were also founded as a nation with slavery, but that idea became outdated as well.

enders avatar ender No Way +21Reply
@same with every coin saying "in god we trust" being added during the cold war.

"In God we trust" was certainly not added to coins during the cold war... The first coins with "In God we trust" dates to the mid 19th century. It was passed into law during the Cold War, but it has been printed on coins long before that.

The United States was not built on the fundamentals of Christianity or any other religion. We went out of our way to make a secular nation (unlike any other country at the time).

@BreakfastFan The United States was not built on the fundamentals of Christianity or any other religion. We went out of our way...

We did, but there was also Biblical influence on the laws and documents when first deciding what the country would stand for.

@We did, but there was also Biblical influence on the laws and documents when first deciding what the country would...

Yes, there was some influence (considering that most of the founding fathers were Christian), but it was nowhere near enough to justify calling America a "Christian nation".

@BreakfastFan Yes, there was some influence (considering that most of the founding fathers were Christian), but it was nowhere...

I never did. I hardly think it is a Christian nation, I just think that it was built on Biblical standards (considering how, yes, the founding fathers were Christian, despite them wanting to create a nation free of a primary religion)

The words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution.

"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." - Article XI, Section III

Thomas Jefferson stated that the power of the government is derived from the power of the governed, which is a departure from the traditional divine authority of kings.

The United States is "in no sense founded on the Christian religion."

• 1796 Treaty with Tripoli states

A majority of the Founding Fathers were Deists, not Christians.

Just because the founding fathers were Christian doesn't mean that their religion shows in the values of the country that they created. IO don't think that I, as an atheist, should have to say "one nation, under god" every morning at school. If prayer in public school is not allowed, why is that?

You have freedom of religion. So in return, give me freedom from religion.

I don't understand how this can even be an argument. Just because something was the way it was in the time of the country's creation, doesn't mean it should remain the same today.

@AtheisticMystic Just because the founding fathers were Christian doesn't mean that their religion shows in the values of the...

" IO don't think that I, as an atheist, should have to say "one nation, under god" every morning at school. If prayer in public school is not allowed, why is that?" this reminds me of an old POTD of insesitive? thats insesitive to people who dont have senses!! i just think everyone needs to quit it, no one said you had to beleive in god.

@" IO don't think that I, as an atheist, should have to say "one nation, under god" every morning at school. If...

it's not a matter of technicality here, we're saying that it's FUNDAMENTALLY wrong to have the word "God" in a school prayer, and have that prayer recited in class. separation of church and state should prevent that, it's one of the BIGGEST founding ideas of the US.

@it's not a matter of technicality here, we're saying that it's FUNDAMENTALLY wrong to have the word "God" in a...

I know what you mean, but still its just like... so what? the dont say it, your teacher cant make you. i dont beleive in god, it doesnt offend me.

Then don't say it, genius. Suck it up and accept that you're denying God, so you have no right to complain that others don't want to do away with that principlistic matter.

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are -15Reply
@scrantoncity Then don't say it, genius. Suck it up and accept that you're denying God, so you have no right to complain that...

We already have. We are speaking up for those who are too afraid to. We are speaking up for those to repressed by a religious family to speak up for fear of being thrown out of their house. And I, for one, would like people to stop paying lip service to the faith that gave us the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition.

@We already have. We are speaking up for those who are too afraid to. We are speaking up for those to repressed by a...

Hmm, stay silent. You're acting as if the schools force you to say it, which is a preposterous idea.

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are 0Reply
@scrantoncity Hmm, stay silent. You're acting as if the schools force you to say it, which is a preposterous idea.

Obviously, a school doesn't force everyone to say the word "God," but there is something fundamentally wrong with the fact that schools recite a mandatory pledge with "God" in it, that everyone must listen to and all children learn it in elementary school.

Scrantoncity, how would you feel if you went to school and everyone recited "One nation, under Allah" or "One nation, in the name of atheism" or "One nation, evolved from apes"?

enders avatar ender No Way +9Reply
@ender Obviously, a school doesn't force everyone to say the word "God," but there is something fundamentally wrong with...

You're blowing it out of proportion. It's not a long-winded religious prayer, it's a single word in the Pledge of Allegiance that was put there solely so other nations did not think of the United States as an atheist society.

@DanielJames You're blowing it out of proportion. It's not a long-winded religious prayer, it's a single word in the Pledge of...

I know that's why it's there, but I don't like its implications. This country should not favor any religion, despite a majority, and the fact is that the government is mandating that the pledge is recited in public schools / IN GOD WE TRUST is in every courthouse and on money / etc. It's just a word, but it means a lot.

enders avatar ender No Way +7Reply

I'd simply stun them with my knowledge on how wrong they are, let it be known that I disagree, and ask that I don't need to say it, rather than ruin it for the rest.

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are -5Reply

but as a non-demoninational country, the word "god" shouldn't even be in our pledge, whether or not you actually believe in god.
based on our country's principles and founding beliefs, there needs to be a separation of church and state. america ISN'T a christian nation, y'know...

Most of the founder fathers were deist, they were not Christians.
Oh by the way they also loved the muslims ;D
kthxbye

Religion is the flaw of society. If we could live by the principles taught in Christianity, without being bound by this "higher power", then we could truly become the greatest nation that ever was.

Some people already said this but the under god and in god we trust was added like 50 years ago (sorry I don't know the dates of the cold war). I can't believe you think it was never changed.

The United States has separation of Church and State. England Doesn't.

riris avatar riri No Way 0Reply

I'm an atheist and I have no problem with god being in the pledge, its part of our HISTORY. its part of tradition, and for those who didn't know, most of the founding fathers were Deists.

Another sign of the continual pussification of America. It takes hardly any time to say, so just deal with it and move on.

Considering that there is a madatory pledge of allegiance I think it should at least relate in every detail to the sociaty in which we are pledging to uphold

umm, england is still primarily christian...