+755

I know a guy who was convicted of drunk driving. He got his license back but in order to start his car (in addition to a key) he has to blow into a machine that measures his alcohol level. They should install these machines in every car. That would end drunk driving for good, amirite?

16 56

...or just get someone else to blow into it. That seems like the obvious way around it.

GreatValues avatar GreatValue Yeah You Are +36Reply
@ClaireTheBozo then why don't they have that person be the driver?

Maybe because the sober person has no license/is underage/ is not actually riding with them etc.

GreatValues avatar GreatValue Yeah You Are +10Reply
@GreatValue Maybe because the sober person has no license/is underage/ is not actually riding with them etc.

ahh i see what you mean then... hmm :|
i guess it's still a good idea-- i'm guessing not everyone who drives drunk will do anything to get around not driving drunk.. if that makes sense. I mean, there are a few people who will try to get around it but i think it'll still save lives, yaknow?

ClaireTheBozos avatar ClaireTheBozo Yeah You Are +11Reply

Couldnt you just start drinking after you got in the car then?

It probably would help things, but I'm not gonna lie, it'd be super irritating for those of us who would never drink & drive.

No it wouldn't.

what if you're trying to get away from a psycho killer or something? I'm pretty sure driving drunk is better than getting sliced apart. :)

It'd be so annoying for non-drinkers.

@BobWilson It'd be so annoying for non-drinkers.

How hard can it be to blow in a tube? God people are getting lazy. I'll blow into a tube if it helps save even just 1 life

Sergios avatar Sergio Yeah You Are +9Reply

Good idea. It wouldn't stop everyone, but t would still stop some people.

SEXY_BEASTs avatar SEXY_BEAST Yeah You Are +1Reply
@951676

Nobody should have the freedom to drive drunk.

@951683

Yup, people will always find a way around the law. But it doesn't mean we should stop trying to find a solution, I reckon:) It would probably be an annoyance to have to breathe into a machine everytime you drive, but if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't have a problem with it. In fact it could work for some dude who, for example, is so wasted he isn't even capable of cheating the breathalyzer. Or he asks someone who is sober to breathe into it and they're smart enough to refuse.

Good idea, but I read somewhere that other things can cause the breathalyser to lock. I even read some guy experimented with different kinds of ice cream because it would lock it up.

EduardVonBocks avatar EduardVonBock Yeah You Are 0Reply

Or you could just have the common sense not to drive drunk.

@OptimusBeyonce Or you could just have the common sense not to drive drunk.

common sense won't bring people back from the dead...

ClaireTheBozos avatar ClaireTheBozo Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ClaireTheBozo common sense won't bring people back from the dead...

That may be true, but if people would exercise their common sense people won't die.

The second you say "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to lose" is the second you forget about civilized rights. Hey why don't you let the popo search your house? You have nothing to hide right, better yet let them cavity search you, cause damn you got nothing to hide!

Look don't punish people for stuff they haven't done. If you want to stop drunk driving, call the cops in suspicious drivers and let them do their jobs.

You can buy then and install them in your car. At least in Australia you can.

they should install breathalyzers into every car that you need to use before starting the car, amirite?

no background information is necessary. just get. to. the. point.

cool story bro

What if I accidentally chop off my right leg, but had a beer or two and need to get to a hospital while I'm alone? Great idea that works on paper, but too many risks.

@thatguys ok, a finger, no phone service?

Don't get hammered than chop your finger off in an area where you don't get phone service. Not that hard

Sergios avatar Sergio Yeah You Are +7Reply
@thatguys If you have a beer, it won't work. Is having one beer "getting hammered"?

A breathalyzer won't judge one beer as drunk. If you're not drunk the car will start and as you said one drink will not render you drunk

Sergios avatar Sergio Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Sergio A breathalyzer won't judge one beer as drunk. If you're not drunk the car will start and as you said one drink...

actually, one or two beers at my weight (130) constitutes a drunk driving BAC for me, while I have a perfectly sound state of mind after that much.

@Sergio That sucks. I don't know what to say to that.

How about sorry for making a stupid point about the leg, sorry about assuming the hammered thing, and sorry for trying to prove me wrong when I obviously had a valid point?

But what am I thinking, it's the internet, and you ain't gonna do any of those. So whatever :p lol

@thatguys What if I accidentally chop off my right leg, but had a beer or two and need to get to a hospital while I'm alone?...

There's this thing called ambulance ... driving with only one leg isn't very smart anyway, drunk or not.

Bardagis avatar Bardagi Yeah You Are +12Reply

With a chopped off limb, unless you apply a lot of pressure RIGHT AWAY, you will die.
No need to worry.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +2Reply

And then theyd blow up a balloon and then keep it in the car and when they get drunk, they get into their car and deflate the balloon into the breathalyzer and starting the car.

But breath alizer or what ever dey are called cause cancer, so that would meant everyone who drive will die.

and take away everyones rights? uhh no.

Thomass avatar Thomas No Way -21Reply
@Thomas and take away everyones rights? uhh no.

Are you trying to tell me you have the right to drive drunk?

ClaireTheBozos avatar ClaireTheBozo Yeah You Are +47Reply

I could be wrong, but I don't think he meant the right to drive drunk, but the right to not be treated as a criminal simply for owning a car, which is what I was going to post about. The system now is a bit messed up. You need to be convicted of DUI more than once (I think three times) before a judge can order that into your car, which is just stupid to me. Also, OP, while I understand where you're coming from, I would never agree that every car should be fitted with these. You shouldn't be subject to alcohol testing simply for owning a car. I WOULD however, strongly support ordering these into your car on the FIRST DUI conviction. As the saying goes, "Innocent until proven guilty"

MrRites avatar MrRite No Way +19Reply

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
That's why car insurance is REQUIRED. You don't have the right to drive. You have the right to go to the DMV, get a permit, do the requirements, and get your license, though.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Katffro Driving is a privilege, not a right. That's why car insurance is REQUIRED. You don't have the right to drive. You...

i wasnt contesting that...? the concept of innocent until proven guilty would be shattered by this proposed law.