+407

People who state that "depression is just in the mind and depressed people should just get over it." are every ignorant people. It's not like depressed people don't want to be happy. It is a medical condition, just like cancer. Are they saying cancer patients should just get over that as well? amirite?

SienaIsTheeNames avatar
8 32
The voters have decided that SienaIsTheeName is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

A lot of teenagers say they have depression when they haven't been diagnosed, because they want the attention. People should get over that type of 'depression'.

I understand what is trying to be said here, and I understand that clinical depression is an illness that can be treated with medication, but I'm pretty sure that when people say "Get over it." they're talking to that teenage girl who posts on facebook that they're "lyke so depressed" and that they "lyke hate the world."

Oops. *It's not like depressed people DON'T want to be happy.

SienaIsTheeNames avatar SienaIsTheeName Yeah You Are +6Reply
@952356

Thanks for the help. :) And also thank you for saying it's a great post haha :p

SienaIsTheeNames avatar SienaIsTheeName Yeah You Are +4Reply

Actually, Depression can be a chemical inbalance of the brain and something like a thyroid not working properly. These things aren't a mental thing in the slightest. You can't just say, "Hey, I have a nice house, food, family...Cool my thyroid is working again now." It doesn't work like that. Don't you think people with depression (especially those who cover it with a smile) are fighting to be happy every moment of every day? Are struggling with depression with two hands? Are constently remind themselves of what they have to be thankful for? More then likely, they are. It just doesn't seem to make any difference.

A kid on my bus said the same thing. When I told him that depression was serious for some people his argument was, "It never talks about depression in the Bible!"

psychological conditions and physical conditions are two very different things. this is like comparing apples to oranges.

@954769

have you really never heard that saying before?

@955590

oh. well its cool then :)

i feel like, even though a person can't just "get over" cancer, you would be able to overcome depression. it may be really hard and a long ridiculous struggle, but its a mental thing, and while it may be almost crippling, its not....litterally physical? you know? idk how to say it really. mind over matter i suppose.

ah, I agree and disagree.
I used to hate my life, and I'm not going to lie, I wanted to commit suicide sometimes, but I just got over myself, tried to put a positive perspective on life, and I'm a bit happier now. I still have some moments where I'm depressed of my grandma's death, and I'm kind of loney and life is becoming boring, but I just try to get over myself and remember someone else in the world always has it worse.
Also, cancer patients, if they try and put a positive perspective on life, they could who knows? maybe beat cancer.

Depression is really bad but cancer is worse.

@Flymeister Depression is really bad but cancer is worse.

It depends, really. Some people can have a very acute form of cancer while others could have a severe case of clinical depression.

CarmelFuzzys avatar CarmelFuzzy Yeah You Are +19Reply

Seriously? Comparing depression to cancer? Really?

Geoffs avatar Geoff No Way -9Reply
@952375

I unveiled your secret, you sly dog.

@Geoff Seriously? Comparing depression to cancer? Really?

She is only saying that to prove that people cannot just get over depression and be happy once again. It is an illness just like cancer

LaurenLostts avatar LaurenLostt Yeah You Are +14Reply

I was really pomparing them.. I could have Said anything really. Like ODD. That works better. I was just stating that people really shouldn't say depression is just in the mind.

SienaIsTheeNames avatar SienaIsTheeName Yeah You Are +2Reply

Everything is a medical condition nowadays, "What's that? You got a paper cut? YOU NEED TO SEE THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY!"

@KickAss Everything is a medical condition nowadays, "What's that? You got a paper cut? YOU NEED TO SEE THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY!"

I saw this video where a boy beat the crap out of his bus driver, and after in the news interview the mother claimed his son had some medical condition that caused it. Sometimes these "medical conditions" like ADD are a load of bullshit.

@LAKERSoverHEAT I saw this video where a boy beat the crap out of his bus driver, and after in the news interview the mother...

Ha, I'm not surprised... there are "medical" explanations as to why kids misbehave nowadays. It's like, "No, you're kid doesn't have ____, you've just spoiled them rotten"