+477

It's annoying when people say that the world was better like 40 or 50 years ago when our parents were kids. Yeah, things were totally awesome back then except for the legal racism and sexism, the vietnam war, and the very real threats of Communist takeover and total nuclear annihilation, amirite?

BreakfastFans avatar Food & Drink
14 34
The voters have decided that BreakfastFan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I enjoyed the simpler days - where children watched an open fireplace with their families instead of computers, where fishing was a hobby instead of Xbox, where lynching black folks was the town entertainment into of high-profile football.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +14Reply

I completely agree. People just want to romantasize the past instead of realizing that no matter what time period you go to you are going to be faced with major problems. The grass always seems to be greener.

Janae17s avatar Janae17 Yeah You Are +5Reply
@963238

yeah but also if someone in your family said theyd be back in an hour, and here it is 3 hours later, and they're not there. if they're not near a landline, how in the world will you know where they are? cell phones enable us to get in touch with people no matter where they are. sure, they may have the downside of people being too dependent on them, but they have more good points than bad ones.

@963320

yeah thats understandable. but for a worrywart like me, its nice to know everyone thats not in my presence has a phone where i can call them :D

The 90's were a great time, I only lived there for about 4 years tough.

How 'bout the 80's?

@How 'bout the 80's?

(Your+name+(optional)): the Iran-Contra affair, Ronald Reagan being president, the Cold War, the War on Drugs

@eldorito (Your+name+(optional)): the Iran-Contra affair, Ronald Reagan being president, the Cold War, the War on Drugs

That's only bad for you if you are a spy for the USSR and undercover as a hobo who's on heroin.

@That's only bad for you if you are a spy for the USSR and undercover as a hobo who's on heroin.

The idea that war only affects the people directly involved (soldiers, spies, etc.) is ludicrous.

Milk was just an example.

I suppose you could argue that we have our own versions of these things in today's world. Perhaps not legal racism or sexism, but (I'm going to speak in VERY general terms in case I get something wrong because I'm not the most knowledgeable person on politics) we are bogged down in the middle east still, much like Vietnam. And if the middle eastern countries manage to get ahold of the technology to make nuclear weapons, do you think they'd be as smart as the Russians were with it? No. The Russians were smart enough to think ahead and say "Hey, if we blow up a country, it'll kill us too."

Just my input, I still agree it's annoying when people think that everything in the past is better.

Maxs avatar Max Yeah You Are 0Reply

I believe in some ways, we have it worse. There are horrible, evil, and wrong things left and right nowadays.

yeah it was cool, it was TOTALLY AWESOME.

It's also noteworthy that violent crime was significantly lower back then. Today's dollar is also worth maybe one-tenth of what it was at that time.

I dont see a problem with any of those

My parents aren't that old. Oh, and I'm assuming that anyone who claims that this time period is better, for whatever reason, probably didn't consider the entire picture. Just the good parts that are worth missing :p

I'd say the world was better in the 90's. Every era is going to have it's problems (including this one) but the 90's seem like the best deal.

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are 0Reply

You forgot the part where money was worth more so you could go along way on very little example: buying a gallon of milk for like ten cents as opposed to 4$ now a days. I agree with what ur sayin but just thought i should add somethin

many aspects of life were better 40-50 years ago.

Can't it be argued that the threats of nuclear holocaust and Communist takeover weren't real at all? Seeing as we're from the future and know that they didn't happen, I'd say it's really nothing to worry about.

@Mike_Hawk Can't it be argued that the threats of nuclear holocaust and Communist takeover weren't real at all? Seeing as...

So because something didn't happen means that there was never a chance of it happening at all?

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +13Reply
@BreakfastFan So because something didn't happen means that there was never a chance of it happening at all?

That's like watching a movie and saying that it's possible to have a different ending upon multiple viewings. We didn't know it wasn't a real threat, that does not mean it ever had a chance of being real.

@Mike_Hawk That's like watching a movie and saying that it's possible to have a different ending upon multiple viewings. We...

But it WAS a real threat. Ever heard of the cuban missile crisis? If anyone on either of those ships had so much as farted, we wouldn't be chatting about this right now.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +8Reply
@BreakfastFan But it WAS a real threat. Ever heard of the cuban missile crisis? If anyone on either of those ships had so much as...

I heard of it, and it never really went anywhere. It can't be a threat, the future has already been written (thus far, anyway), and it just doesn't happen. I see what you're saying, and I promise I'm not an idiot, but I just can't quite articulate my response. I know what I'm trying to say, I just can't say it. :(

@Mike_Hawk I heard of it, and it never really went anywhere. It can't be a threat, the future has already been written (thus...

I get that it never did happen, but it did come extraordinarily close to happening. But the point of the post was that living in constant fear of a nuclear holocaust wasn't a fun way to spend your early life.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +3Reply