+282

There shouldn't be any debate about euthanasia. I'm sure if you were terminally ill and every day was hell you would at least want to have the right to die, amirite?

4 11

This is one of the few issues I've come across that I haven't been able to make up my mind on which one I feel is right. I mean, I understand if you're in constant pain, or are sure you're dying, you'd just want to get it over with. If you are of sound mind, then freedom should grant you the right to die. However, death is permanent. There's no coming back, and I'm not sure I could stand by and just let someone kill themselves, or tell them to their face that I think it's ok for them to do so, even if their current life is hell. I just don't know.

@MrRite This is one of the few issues I've come across that I haven't been able to make up my mind on which one I feel is...

What if they're going to die anyway? Cuz if they won't, I still think they have the right to die, but I can see why people would be iffy on letting them. But if they're going to die anyway, then I don't think anyone should be against that or try to talk them out of it.

I think the main issue is determining whether it can be called suicide or not. Because, technically, suicide is illegal. It's just kind of hard to enforce that law...

@ihearandomusic I think the main issue is determining whether it can be called suicide or not. Because, technically, suicide is...

Why do they bother making it illegal?
You can't punish someone for doing it if they succeed, and if they fail, they'll be all sympathetic and put them in a hospital, not lock them up.

Ram27s avatar Ram27 Yeah You Are +12Reply

The entire principle behind the argument against euthanasia is that if they are in so much pain that they desire death, then they clearly aren't in a healthy enough emotional state to make life changing decisions. It could just be a "heat of the moment" wish, in which case it should not be granted. I personally don't know where I stand on the issue, that was just one argument I remember from a morality class.

But where do you draw the line between 'self chosen' and 'it's what they'd want...'?

@But where do you draw the line between 'self chosen' and 'it's what they'd want...'?

I think it would be fairly easy. If they don't request it, then there should be no discussion of it at all. The point of making euthanasia legal is to have it as an option, with counsel from the doctor, but only if the patient wants it and they are very seriously ill. That would in no way make it possible for someone to say that a disabled person should be killed because they would want it that way.

In nazi germany, euthanasia was legal and hundreds of disabled children were killed under the premise of euthanasia. If it was legalised today, it would have to be controlled with utmost care and precision to avoid anything like that.