+292

Today we find it hard to believe how back in the day black people couldn't drink from white people water fountains, just like 50 years from now they will find it hard to believe we tried to treat gay people the same way, amirite?

7 12

Gay people can drink from our water fountains. You can't tell if someone is gay just by looking at them.

@oink Gay people can drink from our water fountains. You can't tell if someone is gay just by looking at them.

"I bet that guy's black." "Why would you say that?" "I don't know. I can't tell, but I think he is."

What is astounding to me is that the word Gay was taken off the list of psychological disorders about 40 years ago, and we are still this far away from equality today.

kylermcgees avatar kylermcgee Yeah You Are +7Reply

I don't think we can really compare the civil rights movement for black people to the movement for homosexuals. The courts are much more fair now than they were then because of the cases brought up during that movement, so a lot less violence is being ensued. And until there are Rainbow Panthers like the Black Panthers, I'm not convinced.

I find is so frustrating when people compare gay rights to the rights of black people. I'm sorry, it's not the same thing
Black people weren't considered people, they were considered like luggage, while gays simply are more constricted in their rights.
Comparing them is like apples to oranges, it's not the same.

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not the same thing. Homosexuals aren't segregated the same way blacks were. Gay people are allowed to use the same water fountains, bathrooms, attend the same schools, etc. as everyone else, so it really isn't the same as how blacks were treated 50 years ago at all.

its funny, because black people didn't choose to be black.

wait i'm confused are you saying that it's stupid we're TRYING to have gays the same way
cos i disagree like that

I have no objections to a gay guy drinking from the same water fountain as me. What annoys me is when he sticks his mouth over the tap and then starts to suck it off