-179

High school shouldn't MAKE you take classes like Chemistry or Geography or Calculus if you're never planning on USING them. What if my future career goal is an actress? Or a weatherman? Or a fashion designer? Last time I checked, none of those professions involve Trig or AP History, so we shouldn't be forced into taking classes that we hate, amirite?

TheChaikass avatar Education
3 36
The voters have decided that TheChaikas is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Weathermen need to know geography.
"And rain is going to fall...um...there"

@OnePenguin Weathermen need to know geography. "And rain is going to fall...um...there"

Oh, you know what I mean. I doubt they're ever gonna incorporate higher math or any of that shit into their forecasts :P

TheChaikass avatar TheChaikas Yeah You Are -8Reply
@TheChaikas Oh, you know what I mean. I doubt they're ever gonna incorporate higher math or any of that shit into their forecasts :P

They actually do... it takes a lot of math to predict the weather. QG-Omega Equations are used, Navier-Stokes equations are used.

@OnePenguin They actually do... it takes a lot of math to predict the weather. QG-Omega Equations are used, Navier-Stokes...

I was referring to the man who stands there and points at random regions of the U.S while he tells us how hot it's going to be there. It's most likely up to other people to determine that, and make the forecast, but the actual weatherman who tells it to us on the news probably doesn't get that involved.
But I could be wrong, I'm bad with this stuff.

TheChaikass avatar TheChaikas Yeah You Are -11Reply

Your right. If you aim at being an actress, you don't need much math working the register at Starbucks.

@Blearslyrarer Your right. If you aim at being an actress, you don't need much math working the register at Starbucks.

WIN

But, yeah, most high schools require you to have at least a C standard in English and Maths when you leave. It isn't because they're Nazi's trying to force you to learn Pythagoras instead of following in your dream - believe it or not, the education system is there to help you with the skills you need to get a job.

And, once you leave school/college, you ain't going straight to the top - you're gonna have start at the bottom doing all the shitty jobs.

Simons avatar Simon No Way +15Reply

It's called getting a well-rounded education. Very few high school students actually follow their "plan."

guess whose fault it will be when no body will hire you because you're stupid.

Not everyone is going to be an actress or some other proffesional who doesn't use advanced math/science or such. At schools with hundreds and thousands of students, they will end up going into an unimaginable variety of professions. Many of them will need advanced classes that YOU might think are useless. Give those aspiring engineers and doctors a chance to take fascinating and rigorous math and science classes in school. You don't HAVE to take AP classes. And if your luck in the workforce is unfortunate and you end up at the drive-through window at McDonalds, I don't think you'll need to anyway.

Is it weird that I read this in a really bitchy voice?

Most schools don't force students into AP classes...

@thirtythree Most schools don't force students into AP classes...

Everyone in AP Prep Global in my school was pretty much forced into taking AP World lol

Actors and actresses could very well use history ya' nub.

Maybe you'll find out that you actually are really good at chemistry or something, and then you'll decide to pursue that career eventually all because you took that class.
Little kids want to be firemen, astronauts, or police when they grow up. It doesn't usually work out.

Well, who knows what they're going to end up as, anyway? My mum planned on being a chef, and now she's an architect. I haven't exactly asked, but I think it's safe to assume the the courses you need to take are fairly different.

Clearly you're not going to be one of those successful people. You really think that a career doesn't have parts of other subjects involved in it? It's called being a more well rounded person. And also, people take classes to figure out what they do and don't like. You don't know what you're going to do for the next 50 years when you're 15. Some people may but the majority change their minds

You don't have to take advance classes but you really should be educated in any career enough to not sound dumb. Geography, math and history classes especially, people sound so uneducated and seem irresponsible, like they can't be trusted with anything bigger than getting coffee.

ciao_s avatar ciao_ No Way +6Reply

I disagree, you might find you are good at or enjoy those classes

Because only Joey can pull off a dumb actor.

You need statistics or some form of maths for almost every course in University.
And its good to have a wide range of subjects you take because if you take all in one domain then decide to change your mind, you cant get into secondary education straight away. Its called keeping your options open.
And not being a slacker who takes bum courses.

Pigeons avatar Pigeon No Way +4Reply

I've spoken to my teachers about this... The biggest reason they teach us all of the random stuff is to excersize our brains. They know that most of us won't go on to be astounding scientists or mathematicians, and aside from the few who will that need it, the point of the difficult classes is to keep our brains growing and absorbing, so we can continue absorbing things after high school.

hloonvses avatar hloonvse Yeah You Are +2Reply

Your school forces you to take those classes? At my school they're optional.

Weather(haha you said weatherman and I said weather, ohhh the puns) you plan on using any of the stuff you learn in school, sometime in the future you will need those skills, no you won't need to find X in real life but you will need to solve real life problems and many of them include what you've learned in the 4 years of highschool.

My school doesn't force you. We also don't have AP classes.

I believe it's necessary to take those classes up until the senior year levels when you have more experience and know what career pathways to take. Hence you take the classes if need be, and don't if you want to be a garbage man :P

the ignorance of some people.

I find it quite funny that the first thing I notice that they seem to be gender confused. They want to be an actress or a weatherMAN and a fashion designer can be a combination of the two. LOL

Yeah yeah, I know, a weatherman can be a woman but it would be better if they'd said weather reporter.

It builds character and good memory.