+405

how did they come up with bunge jumping, I wonder what would happen if I tied an elastic rope to legs and jumped off this bridge, amirite?

Sports
6 5

There's a chance, just a small one, that they had already speculated what was going to happen before they jumped off the bridge.

I believe that the idea originated from the Maori tribe in New Zealand tying vines to their ankles and jumping off wooden towers.

@Garren_the_Dragon I believe that the idea originated from the Maori tribe in New Zealand tying vines to their ankles and jumping off...

I read about that in a Nat Geo, they did it as a tribute to the gods. If they survived, they were going to have a good harvest, if they died, they were going to have a bad harvest. At least that's what I think it was.

Actually they did this in Vanuatu to ensure a fertile crop using vines tied to their ankles and they jumped of a 70ft tall wooden tower

pretty sure jeff foxworthy used this bit in his blue collar comedy tour...