+461

So it's not okay for people to preach their religion to atheists, but somehow it seems okay for atheists to tell religious people that their beliefs are incorrect, amirite?

Little_Reds avatar
20 54
The voters have decided that Little_Red is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No!
It's not acceptable for anyone to tell anyone that their beliefs are incorrect. Just because some atheists think that it is, doesn't mean that you should just randomly imply that you're a better person than all of them.

I'm hungry.

@DanielJames I'm hungry.

i just ate cheerios. you should eat some, they're quite good.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +5Reply

look, here's the fact of the matter. every group of people is going to have some assholes in it. there are going to be batshit rednecks claiming you're going to hell for not praising jesus, crazy muslims who despise non-believers, and annoying jews knocking on your door at 2 in the afternoon who won't go away until you talk to them about your beliefs.
there are also douchebag atheists so pretentious and hellbent on making any person with a non-concrete belief feel inferior that you'd like to stab them in the eye.

everyone just shut the fuck up and let people do what they want. as long as they're not hurting anyone, just let them be. jesus fucking christ. this is not a contest to see which group is douchier. because if it were, we'd all be in it.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +22Reply

I believe everyone should keep their beliefs to themselves unless:
1. Someone asks what your beliefs are
2. Someone tell you your beliefs are wrong
3. Someone says you're stupid for believing what you do.
4. It's amirite and you're simply stating what you believe on a post where it's acceptable. [if the post is acceptable, odds are, it's because of one of the 3 reasons above]

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +19Reply
@Katffro I believe everyone should keep their beliefs to themselves unless: 1. Someone asks what your beliefs are 2. Someone...

I agree, but I would like to add that it's ok to ask people if they're interested in hearing about your beliefs. You should be able to share it without waiting for them to ask you about it, as long as they say that it's ok.

Bardagis avatar Bardagi Yeah You Are +3Reply

beliefs shouldn't be kept to yourself. Nothing would ever get changed if people kept their beliefs to themselves. Like slavery for example. but that doesn't mean it is always the right time to tell people your beliefs. Also it can be fun to discuss your beliefs.

Well a belief can't be incorrect, as it is an opinion...

@SpearmintMilk Well a belief can't be incorrect, as it is an opinion...

I believe my mother was an actual whale. There you go, I have an incorrect opinion.

@Chromana I believe my mother was an actual whale. There you go, I have an incorrect opinion.

I should have clarified lol, I meant more in the context of believing in a god, because we have no evidence either way. So what we do believe about that particular subject is an opinion because there is no empirical evidence for there being one, but there is no way to be certain there isn't. So you can't really tell someone what they believe about religion is wrong.

@SpearmintMilk I should have clarified lol, I meant more in the context of believing in a god, because we have no evidence either...

There is a difference between a belief and an opinion.

opinion |əˈpinyən|
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

belief |biˈlēf|
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists

That's not an opinion, that's an incorrect statement. You can't have an opinion about facts.

@Mike_Hawk That's not an opinion, that's an incorrect statement. You can't have an opinion about facts.

I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky. I think about it every night and day. I spread my wings and fly away. I believe I can soar. I see me running through that open door. I believe I can fly. I believe I can fly. I believe I can fly.

This post is gonna get crazy pretty soon. Anyone want some popcorn to enjoy the show?

SourceofSmiles avatar SourceofSmile Yeah You Are +14Reply

I've honestly never seen a religious person go up to a known Atheist and try to tell them about their God.
I've actually only seen that on dramatic TV shows.
Most people are not that confrontational about religion.
Just sayin'.

ambrosias avatar ambrosia Yeah You Are +8Reply
@ambrosia I've honestly never seen a religious person go up to a known Atheist and try to tell them about their God. I've...

You lucky duck.This one guy on my floor freshman year spent half an hour yelling about God because he found out I am atheist. I'm pretty sure he also told me I'm going to hell.

Another person implied that I have no morals because I don't believe in God.

That pissed me right the hell off.

@Apple_Pie You lucky duck.This one guy on my floor freshman year spent half an hour yelling about God because he found out I...

Well, it's unfortunate that people do that.
It just make it easier for those who aren't religious to stereotype those who are.

I am very much for people having beliefs on whatever they want, as long as it isn't harmful to others.

ambrosias avatar ambrosia Yeah You Are +5Reply

Seriously? I've had people come to my house, some dude was handing out bibles at my school the other day, and my half sister's step brother (my mom remarried and then divorced a second time) who's 8 told my sister she was going to hell because she didn't believe in God.
And I live in a very liberal city that's pretty secular.

Once I was at the beach with some friends and this random old man came up to us and started telling us about "The spirit of god". It happens.

sansas avatar sansa No Way +1Reply

Amen.

@Amen.

I see what you did there

Devices avatar Device Yeah You Are +7Reply

inb4 hundreds of religion comments.

In reality, it's more the other way round... Everyone keeps bashing atheists for their non-belief, claiming they're bad people for not believing in God, while it still says "In God we trust" on our money...

We're all humans, are we not?
We should respect each other if we want to be respected. So why shouldn't we respect other religious views if we want ours to be respected?

I usually find it's the other way around

Luffys avatar Luffy No Way +1Reply

It's always ok to think that way if you're a hypocrite.

Sqwanchos avatar Sqwancho Yeah You Are +1Reply

@ Little_Red touche

tdtwink9s avatar tdtwink9 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't go preaching around the gospel of God just because I'm Christian, and just because I believe in God, it doesn't make me a Bible thumper. People should be able to believe whatever they want to believe without having some douchebag tell them they're retarded for believing it. I don't try to convert Athiests, and I will never try to. As said above, there are always going to be idiots in every group, and I'd rather not get into a debate about God if they're close-minded. So that's my two cents. /endlongpost

Daemoines avatar Daemoine Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Daemoine I don't go preaching around the gospel of God just because I'm Christian, and just because I believe in God, it...

How are athiests close minded? You're a little dick for saying that, just so you know. I'd like to point out that christians are the ones who are very against gay marriage. That, my friend, is close minded. So please excuse me while I say that it's morons like you that make athiests think some christains are dumb as dirt. Suck my dick, eventhough I'm a girl, I'll grow a dick just so you can suck it.

@How are athiests close minded? You're a little dick for saying that, just so you know. I'd like to point out that...

"...and I'd rather not get into a debate about God if they're close-minded."Notice the if. She is not saying they are, she never did. She was saying if she met somebody who was she would rather not. So it just makes you look rude and silly for saying that since you have the facts of her post wrong :c Plus, it is hard to take you seriously with your immature language.
And I am Christian and pro-gay, thank you very much. I don't see myself as close-minded at all. And I certainly don't go around bashing other religions and/or atheists. I don't tell people they are going to the devil for not believing in what I believe, and I do not tell random people I see about my beliefs and try to convert them. I am just a normal person who happens to be religious :U

You guys are all stupid and wrong.

@strawberryfroze Who's wrong about what? Just wondering :3

Everyone's wrong about everything.
I am correct.
There is no such thing as an opinion, only what I believe to be right or wrong.

Atheists usually, not all the time, only do that when religious people try to talk to us about their faith.

Religious people don't like getting told their beliefs are wrong because they cannot rationally defend it. It's uncomfortable for religious people to think about a concept of religion that's illogical and contradictory.

@LAKERSoverHEAT Religious people don't like getting told their beliefs are wrong because they cannot rationally defend it. It's...

that's not it, at all.. i don't think you can even argue that since you don't seem to be religious so you've never been in that position. religious people don't like getting told their beliefs are wrong because no one has the right to say whether or not your beliefs are wrong. they are your personal beliefs and like anyone else, i think you'd get a little pissed if someone started snidely dismissing your entire belief system claiming it's complete bullocks.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +4Reply
@rowanne that's not it, at all.. i don't think you can even argue that since you don't seem to be religious so you've never...

Why not argue about political beliefs? It just makes them stronger. Seeing the other side of the argument makes your own stronger, and not exploring that will just leave your beliefs with a weak foundation.

@LAKERSoverHEAT Why not argue about political beliefs? It just makes them stronger. Seeing the other side of the argument makes...

Debating os one thing, arguing usually implies heated comments and personal attacks, neither of which help anybody.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut Yeah You Are 0Reply

religion is the most retarded fucking thing mankind has ever created, it is a complete load of bullshit. people please, if you are atheist show yourself! its about time we are heard, because religion needs to be stopped! just think about, almost every major tragedy has involved relgion, we would be much better off without it.

@religion is the most retarded fucking thing mankind has ever created, it is a complete load of bullshit. people...

1. Did you read the comment above you?
2. How did religion cause either of the world wars?

Wynauts avatar Wynaut Yeah You Are +8Reply

Speaking as an atheist, fuck off. You're one of the nutters who make people think that all of us go around trying to tell everyone that anyone who believes in any god(s)/goddess(es) is an idiot. :|
While I don't think that religion really serves a practical purpose, if people can believe in whatever deities they do, then more power to them. I kind of envy them if they think there's a benevolent being watching over them.
Tragedies will happen with or without religion.

Well there's a difference between speaking the truth and shoving fairy tales down people's throats.

@Well there's a difference between speaking the truth and shoving fairy tales down people's throats.

I get what you're saying, but you know religious people don't want the idea that God doesn't exist shoved down their throats either.

Little_Reds avatar Little_Red Yeah You Are +38Reply

The Bible is the most historically accurate book of all time. Not a fairy tale whether you believe it or not.

dylanator007s avatar dylanator007 Yeah You Are +11Reply
@dylanator007 The Bible is the most historically accurate book of all time. Not a fairy tale whether you believe it or not.

Just because the Bible contains many historical facts doesn't make it the "most historically accurate book of all time." It's just one of the oldest.

@dylanator007 http://apologeticspress.org/article/524 It's not just old...

Ah, yes, because if there's an article about something, it's 100% undeniable fact.

Modified book of god's word edited millions of times
still legit

@LAKERSoverHEAT Modified book of god's word edited millions of times still legit

See, more inconsistency. Compared to most other ancient texts we have a very good selection of early manuscripts of the Bible, especially the New Testament (thousands of copies, all written within a couple hundred years of the original...the Old Testament is perhaps not quite as good but still decent). By comparison, for most old things like this we've only got between 5 and 20 ancient copies, and none of them were written even within 500 years of the original. Besides that, we've put a lot more effort into making sure the text of the Bible we have is as close as possible to the original; significant variations (anything more than a word or two) from scribal error or screwing around are disregarded.
All I'm saying is, if the Bible has been screwed with, then the writings of Aristotle, Homer, and Plato have definitely been screwed with; we have no clue what they originally wrote. You can't give the benefit of the doubt to one and deny the other.