+223

Americans: Since the title of the first Harry Potter was changed to "Sorcerer's Stone", you wonder if someone had to go through the entire book just to change the name every time it's mentioned, amirite?

Summerstars avatar Books
1 13
The voters have decided that Summerstar is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think its weird that they changed it, because its not like Sorcerers Stone means anything more to us than Philosopher's Stone.

Not if there's a find and replace feature on JK Rowling's keyboard.

@Emptysquare Not if there's a find and replace feature on JK Rowling's keyboard.

That would be funny if she did that, and there was a part in the book about Harry having an in depth conversation with a philosopher, and none of us would know

Ctrl + F

In canada it's philosophers stone as well. America is the only place where it's changed.

The UK version is still Philosopher's Stone. Not sure why they changed it. Maybe American's are drawn to alliteration. It's Philosopher's Stone on Pottermore. Also, I think the only reason they'd "Americanize" it would be for clarity. It is a children's book series. Realised would be realized, programme would be program, Boot (of a car) would be trunk, and so on and so forth. Furthermore, editors have to go through entire works to fix things all the time. Luckily we now have find and replace features in our word processing programs.

I remember someone telling me that they changed a lot of the books for the American audience. They "Americanized" most of the text, except for the dialogues. I could be wrong though.

or the book was already written, and they thought the Sorcerer's Stone was a better name.
ex: Stephanie Meyer first called Twilight, Forks, but later changed it. She didnt redo everything....

@carlymomo or the book was already written, and they thought the Sorcerer's Stone was a better name. ex: Stephanie Meyer first...

The original was called "Philosopher's Stone" and I'm pretty sure it was based off a legend that most Americans aren't familiar with. They talk about the stone throughout the book with it's name, so that would be need to be changed.

Summerstars avatar Summerstar Yeah You Are +17Reply

That's because the book had nothing to do with twilight. If you replaced every occurence of "forks" with "twilight," it would make no sense. The Philosopher's Stone and the Sorcerer's Stone were the same object; the American version just renamed it.