+421

It would be an interesting experiment to lock a vegetarian in a room for a week with nothing there except a knife, an oven, and a live chicken, amirite?

Food & Drink
16 65

what about an experiment where you lock a hard core meat eater in a room with only a plate of tofu.

I would ditch the knife, make the chicken my pet, and share the water with her for the week. Also, we would eat the eggs.

@1006641

then they're a little crazy, no?

@then they're a little crazy, no?

Could be worse. If they were REALLY crazy they could use the oven to kill themselves

It's a lot of effort to kill a live chicken and make it edible though. Maybe, daily, offer them a plate of chicken?

@Rocky It's a lot of effort to kill a live chicken and make it edible though. Maybe, daily, offer them a plate of chicken?

I've seen it done in a Guatemalan street market many a times. It's not that hard. Throw in a pamphlet and they should have no problem.

@Rocky Well, even if someone wasn't a vegetarian they might have a hard time doing that.

I never said anything about being a vegetarian. When I said 'throw in a pamphlet and they should have no problem' I was referring to the general sheltered population who receive their chickens from factories.

lmao! im vegetarian. i would probally kill and prepare the chicken the first day and grow the balls to eat it by the second day. im not a peta activist or whatever. i was just raised vegetarian, and i think eating meat is gross. but if theres nothing else; i'd eat it.

without water, eating the chicken would speed up the process of dehydration.

@Okay, say there's water.

then, depending on their resolve and initial state of health, they'd probably just stick the week out.

people can go a lot longer than that without food.

@jessiejpg then, depending on their resolve and initial state of health, they'd probably just stick the week out. people can...

Well, the point is to conduct the study on several vegetarians. Or maybe just let them out when they eat the chicken and record how long each one took.

i'm not even a vegetarian and i wouldnt kill a live chicken. its true that i probably could never be a vegetarian, but its also true that if slaughter houses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarians.

I'm not a vegetarian but I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't slaughter the chicken.

If they haven't had meat for a long time eating the chicken could actually make them very sick.

@Tacomuncher If they haven't had meat for a long time eating the chicken could actually make them very sick.

Something like that actually happened to me. When I was little I despised the taste of beef, and then 2 years ago I had a steak for the first time in a while, and I got horrible nausea and stomach pains from it. I had to get used to eating beef little by little.

I'm a vegetarian, and I would never be able to kill a live chicken. So I guess I'd just have to go a week without food.

@Cashew I'm a vegetarian, and I would never be able to kill a live chicken. So I guess I'd just have to go a week without food.

What if they kept you in there until you eat the chicken? would you rather starve to death?

@somewhere_I_belong I would.

ah, easier said than done...

@ah, easier said than done...

Meh, not really. Maybe for those who value their lives. Bottom line, I wouldn't be able to kill the chicken. Whether my life depended on it or not.

@somewhere_I_belong Meh, not really. Maybe for those who value their lives. Bottom line, I wouldn't be able to kill the chicken...

Well, throughout history, famines lead to mass cannibalism. Among normal, respectable citizens. Hunger, actual hunger, can lead people to do pretty crazy things. In retrospect, killing a chicken when you're starving is pretty mild.

@Well, throughout history, famines lead to mass cannibalism. Among normal, respectable citizens. Hunger, actual...

Not mild to me, but we all have our different points of views. Now, if it was a plate of chicken or something, I would certainly eat it.

@somewhere_I_belong Not mild to me, but we all have our different points of views. Now, if it was a plate of chicken or something, I...

@1007105 (Anonymous): For me, vegetarianism is not so much about the animal's rights (though those are important) as it is that I'm uncomfortable with the concept of eating an animal that used to be alive. I personally think it's gross. So yes, I'd probably starve to death before I could work up the nerve to kill another living thing and then eat it.

I'm a pretty hardcore vegetarian, but even if I DID get hungry enough to eat the chicken I'm pretty sure I would fuck up the process of slaughtering it and preparing it and give myself food poisoning. Or choke on a fragment of bone or something.

don't be so sadistic!
Give them a piece of straw to chew on :D

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are +7Reply

Well, unlike some others here, I couldn't say for sure unless I was in the situation, but I would put off killing the chicken for as long as possible.

Truuninjas avatar Truuninja Yeah You Are +7Reply

I wouldn't have the heart to kill the chicken.

There has to be water...
So, let's say there's water.
I'm a vegetarian, and I would drink only water and starve for the week, not eating the chicken.
How would the chicken eat?

im a vegetarian... I wouldnt eat it... :/

Y'all talk like vegetarians are some sort of mutant breed or something...

@youdontknowme Y'all talk like vegetarians are some sort of mutant breed or something...

shhhhhh!! Stop hinting everyone about the experiment i did 5,000 years ago that went horribly horribly wrong creating a new bread of herbivorous homo sapiens while also creating radioactive waves that made me have terrible spelling and grammer mistakes!!!

MIDNIGHTANGELs avatar MIDNIGHTANGEL Yeah You Are +6Reply

I'm a vegetarian, and I'd like to be all integrous and be like 'ew i could never kill and eat a chicken!'
but who am i kidding. i'd be starving.

Julesybellss avatar Julesybells Yeah You Are +3Reply

The only reason I'm a vegetarian is because I just don't like the taste of meat. If I was locked up for a week, I would sure as hell eat that chicken.

I eat meat and you could lock me in a room with a live chicken for a week and i still wouldnt kill it and eat it.

rivals avatar rival No Way +3Reply

harsh!

mikele819s avatar mikele819 Yeah You Are +1Reply

...Eggs are pretty good protein...I wonder how long I could go before my willpower crumbled though?

the only reason im vegetarian is because killing other things for ur survival is messed up if you can survive on other things.

Lock a PETA member in there and see what happens. For vegetarians like me, eating chicken is better than dying, and the experiment would be rather boring.