+487

Why do so many people assume smart people like scientists are atheists? There are plenty of Christian scientists and there are plenty stupid atheists. amirite?

fangirl12s avatar
3 42
The voters have decided that fangirl12 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Because there are plenty of scientists who reject religious ideas.

And there are more atheist scientists than Christian scientists, because don't forget, there's Judaism, the Islamic faith, Hinduism... A bunch of religions. I don't see why you limited it to just Christianity. I would've voted it up if you just said religious scientists.

@AdonisBatheus Because there are plenty of scientists who reject religious ideas. And there are more atheist scientists than...

Mostly because I was referring to constant evolution arguments where people fight about how ignorant Christians are, even though some believe in evolution.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Going by the results of some polls, most scientists consider themselves atheist/agnostic/non-religious. Generally speaking, it's a much safer assumption that a scientist is atheist than strongly religious.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

@wobbuffet Going by the results of some polls, most scientists consider themselves atheist/agnostic/non-religious. Generally...

However, since the vast majority of people in the world practice a religion, it's not that unreasonable to assume someone is religious until proven otherwise.

@wobbuffet But not the vast majority of scientists, which is what the post singled out.

I don't really believe that. I don't think the study was thorough or accurate. I Googled percent of people who practice a religion and I got a ton of answers ranging from 70 to 90 %. It would only be logical that 70 to 90 % of scientists practice a religion.

@fEMMAnist I don't really believe that. I don't think the study was thorough or accurate. I Googled percent of people who...

Why is it not logical that a higher percentage of scientists are atheist than the general population?

@wobbuffet Why is it not logical that a higher percentage of scientists are atheist than the general population?

Because it way too high and there is no reason for scientists to not be religious. I think the percent of scientists who are religious would be the same as the percent of bakers who are religous and the percent of accountants who are religious.

@fEMMAnist Because it way too high and there is no reason for scientists to not be religious. I think the percent of...

The reason there are so few religious scientist is that science and religion do not mix. Science and logic can almost disprove religion entirely and some aspects of religion, science can disprove fully. The profession of baking as you mentioned does not disprove religion while science does. If someone uses logical thought every day in their career then it is more likely that they will be agnostic/atheist because they will then apply those methods of thinking to their religious beliefs.

@The reason there are so few religious scientist is that science and religion do not mix. Science and logic can...

There is no shortage of religious scientists in the world. If religion and science could not mix, there would be no religious scientists at all. As it happens, there are billions of religious scientists in the world who find that their beliefs about religion don't contradict their beliefs in science.

Science does not disprove religion. Religion covers a vast number of loosely defined belief systems, doctrine, practices, and philosophies. Some religions don't even have any mythology or assertions about the supernatural that you could actually attempt to prove as false.

Why do so many people assume that scientists are smart?

Most (distinguished) scientists are jewish rather than christian

I think it's because scientists or science enthusiasts usually rely on science to prove their questions and science generally disagrees with religon. Likewise religion is founded on the concept of faith. The two are opposite solutions and don't usually work well together.

@528491 I think it's because scientists or science enthusiasts usually rely on science to prove their questions and science...

I don't see why not. there are plenty of passages in the bible in which God completely understood that people should have evidence to believe certain things. Jesus said that if he hadn't shown them all the miracles he'd done, they wouldn't be guilty, btu because he had, they were guilty for not admitting he was more than human.

@fangirl12 I don't see why not. there are plenty of passages in the bible in which God completely understood that people...

That's just my explanation for the post. Imo, Jesus had to perform miracles at first such as raising lazarus from the dead, turning water to wine, and coming back to life to build credibility but now that he's not here to do such obvious miracles we're supposed to call on faith and not need proof because if there was concrete proof then being a believer woudn't be genuine or meaningful. People who don't feel satisfied with that turn to science because it's more reliable.

@528491 That's just my explanation for the post. Imo, Jesus had to perform miracles at first such as raising lazarus from...

This is just a technical thing because I am a chronic corrector (I apologize) but to clarify Jesus din't do all those things to prove who he was. He turned water into wine because his mom wanted him to and coming back to like was to fulfill the scripture. It was showing his nailed hands and speared side to Thomas that proved he'd really come back.
Anway, I believe God created the world, and if he created the world, then he created science, so I find science to be just as credible a source.
Now for proof, Jesus promised the Holy Spirit. The little bit of God inside all of us that speaks to us and helps us when we listen. I understand that that's a more abstract thing and hard to feel, like trying to comprehend what love is, or trying to understand your feelings about a certain person, but it's still there. Just more subtle than giant miracles.

@528491 How is the Holy Spirit proof?

It's not conrete. It's abstract. Like I said, it's far more difficult to understand than just, "Look, he's not dead anymore! Wow! That's amazing!". It's like it says in the name, like a ghost or a spirit. It's the presence of God inside everyone. It's like knowing love is real. You can't see it, but you can see it in how it influences the world and you can feel it inside.

@528491 I don't really think that's proof.

Like I said, it's not concrete proof, but to be fair you can't prove anythign is real. You can't physically see love, but you know it's there. And there are people today who still perform miracles. I've even heard of cases of people bringing the dead back to life. I think life itself, the fact that we're even here, is a miracle. We can explain it through eveolution and the big bang, but that doesn't mean God didn't make such an amazing thing happen. I can't explain it perfectly because everyone understands things in different ways, but this is the explanation I have right now.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are -2Reply

My bio professor is a serious evolutionist who believes in God.

@ender My bio professor is a serious evolutionist who believes in God.

no to sound ignorant, but well....here we go....how can you be an evolutionist and believe in god? I thought it was kinda one or the other.

riris avatar riri Yeah You Are 0Reply
@riri no to sound ignorant, but well....here we go....how can you be an evolutionist and believe in god? I thought it was...

He believes that God is so sophisticated that he created a system in which life formed from bacteria and species is able to evolve and improve upon itself through natural selection, etc. I think this is a pretty common argument from religious evolutionists.

@1030739

He left (finally)

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +2Reply

The only type of Atheists are stupid Atheists. If they were smart, they wouldn't be Atheists....

@LAKERSoverHEAT "if you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

So you think that there's no such thing as an intelligent religious person?
Yeah, I guess C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkein, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Charles Darwin and Martin Luther King JR. were pretty stupid.

@fangirl12 So you think that there's no such thing as an intelligent religious person? Yeah, I guess C.S. Lewis, J.R.R...

That has absolutely nothing to do with the quote. It's saying if religious people used logic with their arguments defending it, they wouldn't be able to.

@LAKERSoverHEAT That has absolutely nothing to do with the quote. It's saying if religious people used logic with their arguments...

I'm sure someone could. I'm not saying I could, but if you read Mere Christianity the author explains the belief system very well and, especially in in the first two sections, is very logical about it. At least to me. I'm not sure what you would define as a logical argument.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Anonymously_Awesome The only type of Atheists are stupid Atheists. If they were smart, they wouldn't be Atheists....

ive seen my fair share of debates about things like this on amirite, but this is hands down the most offensive and shallow-minded comment i've seen in a long time.

In fact Atheists are the smarter ones because they aren't the ones believing in imaginary beings and have found the true explanations behind events.