+286

for non-violent crimes, there should be heavier fines and less jail time, because fines = more money for government. More prison = wasting government money. amirite?

NoSoapRadios avatar Politics
2 11
The voters have decided that NoSoapRadio is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Maybe. But for people who have loads of money (I'm thinking rich kids who use their parents money and have never had to earn it themselves), then it could just be "Oh, I can afford the fine, let's do [non-violent crime]."

Plus, with shorter jail time. It's just enough to scare them, not to get them used to it - meaning they won't commit a/the crime again because they're scared of jail.

Skepsiss avatar Skepsis Yeah You Are +5Reply

Also there should be a system for retribution where you have to return/replace what you stole/damaged and be fined. Some of the money could go to the vic and others to the government.

Wait, I know this is an old post, but perfect solution.
Large fine plus community service.
Large fine so the government gets money, plus a portion of the fine can pay the supervisors/whoever has to monitor the community service (I dunno much about it, but I assume someone has to), plus the community service (helping disadvantaged youth, or cleaning parts of the area) helps the community, and the people who did the non-violent crime have to pay with both money and their time.

@Simon Wait, I know this is an old post, but perfect solution. Large fine plus community service. Large fine so the...

That idea is probably better, because, like you said, rich kids would practically be getting away with their crimes.

NoSoapRadios avatar NoSoapRadio Yeah You Are +2Reply

And when they DON'T pay, they'd just be getting away with it.... -__-

Nelis avatar Neli No Way 0Reply
@NoSoapRadio uhhh... why would that be an option?

Well.. how exactly would you make someone pay? Its like getting a speeding ticket. If you dont pay, your license gets suspended. But that still doesn't stop people from driving, much less speeding.

Nelis avatar Neli No Way 0Reply
@Neli Well.. how exactly would you make someone pay? Its like getting a speeding ticket. If you dont pay, your license...

But if you drive without a licence, then you get another ticket. Eventually, if you don't pay up and continue to drive, they're going to either make you pay or toss you in jail.

Or you could just kill all the people who do major crimes, because then you wouldn't have to worry about it all the money involved and the crime rate would go down if people knew death was their punishment.