+570

Facebook group- "Draw a heart on your wrist to spread teenage depression awareness". Right, because a heart drawn onto your wrist will definitely help teenage depression. Do something that actually helps, amirite?

maxherolee615s avatar
8 52
The voters have decided that maxherolee615 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The thing with those types of things is they're supposed to go like this: "Why is there a heart on your wrist?" "Because many people are depressed and I'm helping to spread awareness."

But they eventually turn out like this:
"Why is there a heart on your wrist?" "Because other people are doing it and it looks cute."

Ever stop to think that when a depressed teen sees all the hearts that they may feel like they’re cared for?

@LaurenZie Ever stop to think that when a depressed teen sees all the hearts that they may feel like they’re cared for?

My mom drinks and beats me all the time, my dad molests me and I have cancer. I wouldn't really so much different if I saw my friends drew heart shapes on their wrist, on the other hand if they actually did something to help me, i'd feel much more better.

But yea if I'm depressed because my boyfriend broke up with me and I'm feeling lonely, those heart shapes will probably make my day.

@My mom drinks and beats me all the time, my dad molests me and I have cancer. I wouldn't really so much different...

I’m not saying it’s going to drastically change your life, I’m just saying that it might make a person hold on. I’m sorry your life is rough, but it’s just supposed to be a sign of love and that you’re worth something.

@LaurenZie I’m not saying it’s going to drastically change your life, I’m just saying that it might make a person hold...

I was obviously just making a point. My life doesn't suck, don't worry.
I'll rephrase it.....
If I fall into a pit, and you come to me to make me feel loved, it wouldn't help much. At most, I'd feel like someone needs me and I'd want to try harder to come out.
But think about it....if you threw in a rope, or if you brought me something to eat instead, I'd know I'm loved AND it'd make it easier for me to come out.

I'm not pointing out that we should all serve depressed people day and night, but instead of so many people coming together to draw hearts on their wrist, they could actually make a huge change.

@I was obviously just making a point. My life doesn't suck, don't worry. I'll rephrase it..... If I fall into a...

Well it’s a lot easier to help someone climb out of a hole than to help someone climb out of depression. I think the heart is a good start. That might be enough for them to realize that they need help. You can’t help someone with depression until they want it.

@LaurenZie Well it’s a lot easier to help someone climb out of a hole than to help someone climb out of depression. I think...

Assume you're in a lot of pain, your life sucks and you want to die. You're now in a hospital and you have no loved ones around you. What would make you feel better? 10,000 people drawing heart shapes or 10 people taking turns to take care of you?
I'm not saying that these hearts on someone's wrist are absolutely useless and make no difference, but if they genuinely cared, they could put in a little more effort and make a HUGE difference.

@Assume you're in a lot of pain, your life sucks and you want to die. You're now in a hospital and you have no loved...

There is obviously no point in me further explaining myself because we aren’t even talking about the same thing anymore. Yes, you’re right, you win.

No....if I was depressed, and I looked at a love heart on some chicks wrist....I wouldn't feel better.

I drew 3 hearts on my wrist so that I could finally start my journey to get the Master Sword and save Hyrule.

the point it to spread awarness, not fix it

@1009798

what does that have to do with what i said

@fuckoffwhore what does that have to do with what i said

i just think its a stupid idea in general. so even if it is for spreading the awareness, what are they gonna do next to actually help it? theres really no point for everyone to be aware that teenagers are depressed, it doesn't solve anything

maxherolee615s avatar maxherolee615 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@maxherolee615 i just think its a stupid idea in general. so even if it is for spreading the awareness, what are they gonna do...

so what? neither does wearing purple for gay people or taking not talking for an entire day for aborted babies. you cant show you care because it doesnt help?

@fuckoffwhore so what? neither does wearing purple for gay people or taking not talking for an entire day for aborted babies. you...

lemme rephrase. it's okay to show care, but it's kinda annoying how people think it does SO much and basically solves everything. obviously i care about this stuff but i want to do something that helps. knowing that people care doesn't really make me feel any better

maxherolee615s avatar maxherolee615 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@maxherolee615 lemme rephrase. it's okay to show care, but it's kinda annoying how people think it does SO much and basically...

So you must disagree with the whole NATIONAL To Write Love on Her Arms day because its stupid and annoying? Just because it doesnt immediately help people suffering suicide and depression, it shows that people still do care and raises awareness for those who DO physically or immediately help. I may not be able to help as much as I can, for whatever reasons, but I still absolutely write Love on my arms, hearts on my wrists, and take a day of silence for gays who have been silenced because I care.

@So you must disagree with the whole NATIONAL To Write Love on Her Arms day because its stupid and annoying? Just...

Writing love on someone's arm is NOT stupid and annoying. Not doing better than that is stupid and annoying.
Make sure loved ones know how you feel about them, how much they mean to you.
Spend time with people who appear to be lonely, withdrawn and upset.
Listen to their problems.
Stand up for gays when you see them being bullied.

What you do is not pointless or useless. But if you don't do what I've mentioned above, then it surely is meaningless.
maxherolee615 was only saying that just because you draw hearts, it doesn't actually mean that you care. There's still a lot more to be done. Most people don't understand that. They think they've made a huge difference by drawing hearts on their wrists.

@fuckoffwhore the point it to spread awarness, not fix it

well still.. im pretty sure if someone sees a heart on someones wrist theyre not gonna think "oh! teenage depression! okay!"

@fuckoffwhore they will if theyve seen the fb group

If they've seen the facebook group why do they need to see a heart shape on someone's wrist to become aware?

@maxherolee615 well still.. im pretty sure if someone sees a heart on someones wrist theyre not gonna think "oh! teenage...

Or they'll ask "Why did you draw a heart on your hand?" and then you answer and tell about the cause you're supporting, that's how awareness campaigns work.

I'm sure the intentions of the person/people behind the idea of drawing a love heart on your wrist were honorable, but instead of everybody trying to debate whether or not it is actually effective, why not use amirite as a means to get through to people about mental illnesses. Some posts are so pointless, why not make use of the site for good if we have the opp?

i bet they said the same thing when susan g komen for the cure started "oh a little pink ribbon like people are going to look at that and think oh breast cancer" now there are millions around the world in a bunch of different languages that see that ribbon and think of breast cancer awareness. The point is to raise awareness not cure depression also these things have to start someone atleast he is trying he has over 300,000 people agreeing to draw a heart on there wrist for awareness what have you done lately?

I think the point is that it makes people ask why you have a heart drawn on your wrist, making you explain why and spreading awarness, its basically the same as wearing a pin, but more noticable, because people wear so many pins and ribbons for so many different charities that people dont really ask anymore

I honestly think there's nothing wrong in wanting to spread some awareness.

@foo_j I honestly think there's nothing wrong in wanting to spread some awareness.

True. But in most of the above comments people have mixed up 'spreading awareness' with caring. You spread awareness when you wear ribbons, caring takes a lot more effort than that, amirite?

Just like that other thing
Cartoon profile picture week
Did that stop child abuse?

This reminds me of "write love on her arm day"
If you know someone who cuts themselves, then you go and write love on there arm, telling them you love them no matter what.

My daughter recently turned from bruising herself to cutting. We drew hearts near the cuts to remind her that as long as the hearts stay, she cannot self-harm, That combined with counseling and anti-depressants seem to be helping. People do care.

I think everyone agrees that drawing a heart on your wrist doesn't do much but it does symbolise an idea. I'm an ex-cutter so I understand the unbelievable pain that so many teenagers are going through. The reason I have a heart on my wrist is to remind myself that I'm loved but it's also to show that I love others. The idea, as said earlier, is "Why do you have a heart on your wrist?" "It's to raise awareness about teen depression but I personally have it to show that you can conquer it." But words without action means nothing. People shouldn't draw a heart unless they plan on doing something about it. Otherwise people are generally proving that they don't truly care (the epicenter of depression.) If someones upset about the hearts things just have them ask whoever has one on their wrist. Get them thinking rather than letting them go on ignorantly.

Honestly I have tried cutting, I'm super depressed. If a heart was on my friends wrists, or even complete strangers wrists I would feel so loved. Not many people know about this so not many depressed people see it, but by putting on your wrist and exposing the meaning, the thing that thou can to is encourage them to do it to so that other depressed people can feel loved like me. :) idk its probably stupid or whatever but that's my honest opinion, you have yours, I wouldn't judge the concept to quickly thought. Just saying - S.A.

To write love on her arms came to my school and we had an assembly and stuff.

What exactly do you expect them to do? I mean yeah it's kind of a stupid thing but honestly normal teenagers can't really do anything to fix depression, they're just kids. I used to have it and I think it's nice that they at least want to help and understand that everyone's life isn't wonderful and perfect like theirs, even if they can't contribute anything of tangible value; leave that to the scientists. Maybe when they get older they'll actually do something, at the very least to avoid feeling like a hypocrite.

@What exactly do you expect them to do? I mean yeah it's kind of a stupid thing but honestly normal teenagers can't...

They can try and be better friends. They can stand up for someone when they're being bullied or constantly taunted. They can be kind to someone by listening to their problems. Each and every person can make a difference, they don't have to be scientists.

drawing a heart on your wrist wont help anything and no one really cares if they cared they would talk to a person not draw a heart.... and many people get heart tattoos on their wrist what about them??? they probally dont give a sh*t!

I completely agree, I hate these 'awareness' campaigns
almost everyone knows that teenage depression is happening and they think drawing a heart on a wrist will save someones life.
What will save someones life is actually giving a crap and asking people if they're okay..

rowie1311s avatar rowie1311 Yeah You Are -2Reply

i hate the whole "raising awareness" thing that everybody wants to do. i mean everyone is already aware of it, what the point in raising awareness? its not doing anything to help. like wearing pink doesnt cure breast cancer and drawing hearts wont cure depression. whats the point?

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are -4Reply
@to show you care dick bag

you can show you care by doing something thats actually effective.

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are +4Reply
@fuckoffwhore then go find a cure for cancer and depression?? duuhhhh

they have meds for depression and a double mastectomy usually cures breast cancer so its already been done.

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are -1Reply
@fuckoffwhore -.- -.- -.- -.- THEN WTF DO YOU WANT TO DO TO HELP?

Donate. Help them cope up with life. Even bringing them a glass of water when they're thirsty and cant move is more helpful than wearing pink or drawing heart shapes.

im gonna sound like a dick right now but i never said that i wanted to help.

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1010106

if its in your lymph nodes then its not breast cancer?? and meds probably help a lot more than drawing hearts

Thomass avatar Thomas Yeah You Are 0Reply