+489

I respect your pro life views, but think about it. If abortion were made illegal, women would just seek other ways for an abortion. Unsafe ways that could harm them. If they're extremely desperate they'd just go somewhere else where it was legal. Making it illegal doesn't stop it, amirite?

13 69

Animals kill their babies in case they are unable to take care of them or if the babies are unable to survive. Humans have a similar instinct and the OP has a point when they say that when a woman wants to get rid of a baby she will do it with any means necessary. If abortion was illegal I'm sure even suicide would become an option for some desperate women.

Pro-lifers have a nice idea, but that's all it is. An idea. It doesn't work in real life. Having babies isn't simple and most women can't just suddenly push out a baby and go: "Oh, I had a baby! Whoops! Better just give it up for adoption!" No, it will most likely ruin their life in many ways. They may have to give up school or work because of their pregnancy. It could influence their entire social life, dramatically! Some families will disown a woman with an unwanted pregnancy. Not to mention depression, financial problems etc.

So yeah, you can save a baby but will most likely ruin several other lives on the way. Good job.

@Animals kill their babies in case they are unable to take care of them or if the babies are unable to survive...

Thank you! You bring up many interesting points. As with something I believe Breakfastfan said one time, the government shouldn't be involved in such a personal and emotional decision. Just as the government can't tell us who we can marry, which is a personal decision, they should not be allowed to be involved in abortion issues.

The point of being pro-life, in my perspective, is not to illegalize abortion. It is to promote the choice to save the life of a potential child and not to kill him/her for the sake of convenience, to convince women and make them see that abortion is wrong and dangerous.

@TheVoiceOfReason Basically, to illegalize choice.

....no....
I'm pretty sure I just explained that our goal was not to illegalize the choice, it is to eliminate the need for the choice.

@heysoulsister Ok, don't listen to what I just said, that's cool too.

Read your own post, then get back to me. x]
you're promoting the choice to let the fetus live by taking away the choice to abort.

@TheVoiceOfReason Read your own post, then get back to me. x] you're promoting the choice to let the fetus live by taking away the...

We're not trying to take away the choice to abort. We're trying to take away the NEED for the choice; if you convince women to keep their child or give it up for adoption, by telling them that abortion is wrong and dangerous, there won't be as great a need for abortion to be practiced, and so the number of abortions will go down. The option will still be there, because we can't completely get rid of it. However, lessening the need lessens the number of abortions performed, which increases the number of children that are allowed life.

@TheVoiceOfReason You've made no link between showing your side and the lowering need.

If you convince more women to be pro-life and keep their kid, there will be less women in need of abortion, therefore lowering the amount of abortions performed (aka lowering the need). Satisfied?

@heysoulsister If you convince more women to be pro-life and keep their kid, there will be less women in need of abortion...

You're convincing them by taking away the option to do what they wish with their body...

And either way, PACKERS WON!!!!!

@TheVoiceOfReason You're convincing them by taking away the option to do what they wish with their body... And either way, PACKERS...

Your reasoning is running in a circle... you're saying that we are trying to convince them by illegalizing the choice, but I just said that we aren't trying to illegalize it; we are trying to convince women, outside of the political light, that morally and healthfully, abortion is wrong and they should not have one. There is nothing in there about illegalizing the actual choice to have an abortion. There are some pro-life people that ARE vying for illegalization, but my personal opinion (and the opinions of many others, I would assume) is that it's more effective to convince women on a personal level rather than eliminate the choice by legal force.

And, yeah, I know... >_>

Instead of bootlegging would it be babylegging?

@1013680

This is exactly what I've been saying... and I keep getting voted down...

nobody seems to have considered the fact that maybe every once and awhile, a baby is an accident. i know a girl whose parents used birth control and condoms and they STILL got pregnant. how many of you who voted this down have adopted children? if you do, amen, and you have the right to oppose abortions because you can afford to take care of an unwanted child. if you don't have an adopted child, then you're part of the problem, not the solution. i believe that an abortion should at least be an option. a SAFE, LEGAL option.

Also, what if there was a good chance you'd die due to childbirth? Sorry if it may seem selfish but I'd rather save my own life rather than my baby's.

Don't most of them bring it upon themselves though (OBVIOUSLY NOT IN THE CASE OF RAPE). They chose to have sex while knowing the risks (ONCE AGAIN, NOT IN THE CASE OF RAPE). If they do choose such extreme measures (assuming they got pregnant because they were irresponsible) because they fear the stigma that comes along with pregnancy then they have serious priority issues.

True but it will definitely decrease the amount of abortions: saving lives. That's what matters.

Pro Lifers don't seem to understand the fight. There is no pro abortion group in America or anywhere I can think of. Democrats focus on sex education and abstinence in order to keep down teen pregnancy and unwanted pregnancy. Democrats aren't spending all this money on abortion education.
Nobody wants abortion, not even the left wing. Democrats just want to right to choice. They want the right to choose what happens with your own body. And the pro lifers may not understand what choice is, but choice does involve the choice against abortion. Just because it's a choice doesn't mean everyone is going to choose the less favorable option.
This isn't an abortion issue on whether it's good or not like many of you seem to think. Rather it's a rights issue and an issue of government interference. Does the government have the right to interfere with such a personal, emotional decision that concerns a woman's own body? And does the mother's rights triumph over the fetus' rights? Those are the ...

We shouldn't even have to vote on it. I mean, if someone wants an abortion, let them get it. It's not your child or life you would have to live so we should stop making decisions for the future of other people, whether it saves a life or not.

PandaBeards avatar PandaBeard Yeah You Are +4Reply
@PandaBeard We shouldn't even have to vote on it. I mean, if someone wants an abortion, let them get it. It's not your child or...

Should we let someone abuse their child just because they want to? Obviously not. The only difference between the two circumstances is that you might believe the fetus isn't alive. Well, I believe that the fetus is alive and, just like a chid, can't defend itself from a parent who is trying to harm it. In that case, it is our responsibility to say that it isn't right for the mother to abort her child just because she doesn't want it.

*These situations vary depending on each case... I'm not referring to rape victims or times when the mother and baby would both die as a result of this pregnancy.

@1018183

I call bullshit

@1013076

I'm not saying the number of them wouldn't decrease. I'm saying that illegality doesn't stop them. Illegality doesn't stop anything. People still do things that are illegal no matter what, they just find other ways to do them.

@1014179

how many adopted kids do you have? how many would you be willing to have? hundreds? could you afford to take so many kids that nobody else wants?

@1016563

then you are clearly part of the problem, not the solution. if abortions were illegal, and a womans only option is to put her baby up for adoption (say, in a case of financial instability etc...) then the amount of unwanted, unadopted children would skyrocket. where would all those children go? who would care for them and love them? surely not you, who believes adoption is the only choice for a woman but doesn't think you'll ever take one of those accidental babies. i wonder if thats a bit hypocritical? sure, someone might take those kids, and people obviously do adopt! but not every child gets adopted, and then what? we have an over population of kids that nobody wants or is willing to take.

@1014513

THEN DON'T HAVE SEX!!!!!

@1014506

Not really, what about family's that already have too many kids and they can't afford another one, and even if they were using contraception they still got pregnant. They wouldn't be able to afford the loss of income and medical bills.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1016564

Well... what else are they going to do?

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1016584

I'll bring you into reality. Life isn't a Disney movie. You said you don't want to adopt, you're not the only person. There aren't so many people wanting to adopt that babies just come out of the womb into a new home. Kids bounce around foster homes for years and it's true that some will never have a true home which can result in the child/adult having serious psychological problems. This problem would escalate beyond belief if abortion were made illegal
Contraceptives aren't 100% for sure and neither is adoption. And making abortion illegal will hardly make people think before they have sex, especially married couples.

@1016584

Yeah maybe they could get the help while she was pregnant, to pay bills but it's not going to cover the whole cost. What if there were complications and she had expensive medical bills, and she lost her job, how are they going to pay for that? Remember they've already got kids that they are struggling to provide financially for. Plus there is no guarantee that they will get an adoptive family who will pay the medical bills.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1014372

. Everyone knows the consequences of having sex and the majority of people who abort are there because they're irresponsible. I'm pretty sure its safe to say that not even half of the people getting abortions are there because they used they're protection efficiently and it just happened to fail. Plus, now they have the day after pill so that just adds to the various forms of contraceptives.

_Nessas avatar _Nessa No Way -1Reply
@1027958

1. Quite a few people. An unwed young adult from the bible belt. A married couple in poverty. A teenager still in highschool.
2. Complications from abortions are extremely rare. They are generally safe, but only when done by a professional. Another reason to keep it legal.

@1027958

1. apparently a lot of people, so why dont we just ignore that point. 2. incredibly unsafe? well you know, grapefruit gives women more of a chance for breast cancer too but they don't tell us to stop eating them. a lot of things are linked to breast cancer, its impossible to avoid them all.

You're right. And while we're at it, let's let everyone do anything because making something illegal won't stop it... I say we just let the whole world do any sort of drugs (so they won't do it illegally, like we know they are anyway), we can allow people to steal organs (which happens in the black market) to do it legally so that it won't just happen in the black market, but also every where else. We should also allow people to kill others because, hey, let's face it, their doing it anyway. Immigration should be legal so people who are doing it anyway don't have to hurt themselves in the process when they sneak through the border... This sounds like a great idea.

@bluegoddess You're right. And while we're at it, let's let everyone do anything because making something illegal won't stop...

All of your examples are already illegal, and abortion doesn't relate to things like immigration.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Adria All of your examples are already illegal, and abortion doesn't relate to things like immigration.

Exactly. And you're saying that making something illegal doesn't stop it from happening, so why make it illegal? Well, those things are all illegal, and they still happen, but they happen a lot less than they would if they were legal. People will still do whatever they want, but it will happen less if it is illegal. Sure, girls are taking harmful routes to get abortions now, but your argument that we should make something legal just because it happens-- and more dangerously-- when it is illegal doesn't exclude the examples I expressed. Your reasoning for making abortion legal is what is faulty, not the notion itself.

Abortion doesn't relate? Abortion is murder, so I think it may be slightly worse than immigration.

@abbypoore Abortion doesn't relate? Abortion is murder, so I think it may be slightly worse than immigration.

Are people honestly voting you down because they think that abortion is better than immigration? WTF is this world coming to?

This is exactly why gun control laws should be loosened...

coolz, i luv posts that start the samez debates ive seen alls over amirite!

I've seen this debate way too many times and the responses never change. It's getting old.