+748

Wikipedia is actually a pretty reliable source of information, amirite?

xxirishwristwatchxxs avatar Internet & Apps
6 19
The voters have decided that xxirishwristwatchxx is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Ikr, I love the way people argue the point that "anyone can edit it", y'know, as opposed to all the other websites in the world that are only accessible by the most knowledgeable brains in the universe...

Truuninjas avatar Truuninja Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Truuninja Ikr, I love the way people argue the point that "anyone can edit it", y'know, as opposed to all the other websites...

Yeah, they constantly ask for sources and citations, and even if you troll the most insignificant page, it gets fixed pretty quickly.

And, while most universities don't allow citations from Wikipedia, it's usually most people's go-to source for non-scholarly stuff (Ie, Harry Potter, sex positions, etc.)

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +6Reply

Single greatest encyclopedia of knowledge.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +8Reply

Unless it's the Tosh.0 page

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +5Reply
@528491 Unless it's the Tosh.0 page

hahahhaha. i loved that segment.

I recently wrote an essay about radioactive decay, and my teacher said no one could use wikipedia.
Seriously. Who would alter information about radioactive decay?

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Katffro I recently wrote an essay about radioactive decay, and my teacher said no one could use wikipedia. Seriously. Who...

Radioactive monster/superheros who wish to hide how they got their power until they can market a profitable origin story.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +5Reply

My English teacher always says that Wiki is a great place to go and get information on something, but we still aren't allowed to cite from it. However, the sources it provides at the bottom are always a great place to start looking for other secondary sources :3

SittinKittys avatar SittinKitty Yeah You Are +2Reply

Yeah, my teacher actually had the brains to go in and research Wikipedia and found it is reliable. He now lets us use it on our research papers.

@1026228

Just cite the sources at the bottom of the Wiki page.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1026257

Why? Are you not allowed to use any references at all? And as long as you do a Bibliography, and include in-text referencing, it's not plagiarism.

Like, I don't use Wikipedia and cite the sources down the bottom, I use Wikipedia pages to read through just so I understand the subject, then click the link at the bottom, read through them, and then include and reference them.

@1026267

:/

I dunno much about your school system, or if other languages class are different from standard subjects (where you supposed to do everything yourself, to show that you knew Latin, and weren't using an online translator?).

I guess if you were right, and the teacher was being an arse, only advice I can give is to bring it up with a higher power (head of department, principal). Your choice, just I wouldn't be happy at all with an F, especially one that I shouldn't have gotten.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are 0Reply

Since when is very spelled "pretty"?

vitaminbs avatar vitaminb Yeah You Are -1Reply
@vitaminb Since when is very spelled "pretty"?

It's not, because they mean two different things.

"Very" tends to mean "extremely", whereas "pretty" in slang words means "kind of" or "sort of".

@vitaminb exactly my point

But pretty/kind of/sort of makes more sense when talking about Wikipedia than very/extremely.

Because, even though it's not the extent that people make it out to be, some of the information is inaccurate/half truth, and Wiki shouldn't be the only site you use to learn about a subject.

Saying "very reliable" would mean around 98% reliable, which would be over-exaggeration.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply