+411

It's so annoying when you hear somebody say something along the lines of, "I don't know why my parents tells me to eat all my food because there are starving children in Africa. I mean, me eating my food isn't going to give those kids food." They aren't saying that it's going to give them food! They're just trying to teach you how to be appreciative of what you have, amirite?

ethan96s avatar
5 14
The voters have decided that ethan96 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's annoying when people say there are starving kids in Africa. There are starving kids everywhere.

@1273198

There are still starving people everywhere. Its not like only the ones in Africa matter. They all do.

@1273207

So some starving African kids deserve it more than some staving say, American or Australian kids, just because there are more of them?

@silvershadow6 So some starving African kids deserve it more than some staving say, American or Australian kids, just because...

The starving kids in America are a hundred times better off then the starving kids of Africa, and other parts of the world.

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1273294

I think what she means is that the biggest dent in poverty will be made where there are millions of people starving rather than where there are less people starving. Yes, of course you should help the starving people in your country first, because that would be easily accessible. But looking on a wider scale, if you could choose one place in the world where you could eliminate poverty, the best place would probably be where there are the most people.

i'm grateful that i have food to eat, but if i'm forced to eat a plate of something that looks like barf, then the starving kids in africa can have it

Thank you!

well, i've thought about this saying too, and in a way, eating all your food on the plate does help someone get more food:
-Finishing the food on your plate means you're more full
-which means you'll probably want to eat less on your next meal
-which means you'll buy less food or your parents will buy less food from the grocery mart
-which means the demand of food in the mart decreases slightly
-which means they will buy less food from their source
-which means the farmers who grow that food have to export less to that specific mart and have more food to sell or give to others