+367

There are 3 things you need to know about the Holy Roman Empire. It wasn't holy, it wasn't Roman, and it wasn't an empire, amirite?

penguins_flys avatar Education
11 10
The voters have decided that penguins_fly is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My AP European Studies teacher says this all the time

It was kind of holy- it did with Christianity
It was sort of Roman- the main Catholic Church was located in Rome
It wasnt an empire, per say- but it was powerful as hell- the churches were more powerful than the leaders of countries themselves, so it can somewhat be considered an empire

@iBAMF It was kind of holy- it did with Christianity It was sort of Roman- the main Catholic Church was located in Rome It...

They slaughtered people who disagreed with them. Not holy at all. And it only had the church because the Pope wanted to stay in power and Charlemagne and the Franks had power.

It wasn't Roman. That that at the end of the Dark Ages, after the fall of western Rome. The only Romans left were the Byzantines, or East Rome, who didn't come into play until later then they tried to take back Italy. l2history.

CharlesOsborns avatar CharlesOsborn Yeah You Are +3Reply
@CharlesOsborn They slaughtered people who disagreed with them. Not holy at all. And it only had the church because the Pope...

It wasn't completely holy, but it was somewhat religious, making it holy in the literal sense of the word.
And it was powerful regardless

@iBAMF It wasn't completely holy, but it was somewhat religious, making it holy in the literal sense of the word. And it...

It was not holy in a literal sense. They were not pious. At all. It was only because the Pope endorsed it.

And powerful does not mean empire.

CharlesOsborns avatar CharlesOsborn Yeah You Are 0Reply

I heard this from my AP World teacher not one week ago...

My AP Euro teacher said this all the time!

thirtythrees avatar thirtythree Yeah You Are +1Reply

Its the words of my history teacher--K.Stewart

Ya this is what I was taught and just to clarify:
-it wasnt holy because there wasn't anything holy about it.
-it wasn't roman because the people in it weren't Roman. They were a mixture of different races and religions (part of the reason it wasnt very unified) The only reason they called it roman was because they wanted it to resemble/be as great as the Roman Empire of the ancient world.
-it wasn't an empire because it only existed in name. Every little area did their own thing, and there was no great central government power. It was just a bunch of small areas unified only in name.

MIDNIGHTANGELs avatar MIDNIGHTANGEL Yeah You Are -1Reply

It was Holy.. Because the Church and State were one. Just learned this XD