+280

it's annoying when people say they had a phobia, like, "I'm claustrophobic!" There is a difference between being uncomfortable and having a slight change in breathing, compared to believing you will suffocate and die at any moment. It's kind of degrading to those who actually have phobias, amirite?

Rock17s avatar
1 5
The voters have decided that Rock17 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

there are also different degrees of phobias, sometimes it's completely debilitating and other times the person may just feel ridiculously uncomfortable when forced into that situation.

phobia pho·bi·a (fō'bē-ə)
n.

A persistent, abnormal, or irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid the feared stimulus.

A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

Totally agree. If someone wraps a blanket around my head and doesn't let go, it feels like every breath I'm taking is the last, it's horrible.

Well you can have a degree of a phobia but not the full blown thing, saying maybe 'Im a little claustrophobic' would should that you arent comfortable which could be important in some situations.

My friend says she's a complete "germaphobe" just because she doesn't want to get dirty. If she had a phobia that serious then she would constantly washing her hands, wary of touching anything like door handles and cleaning everything...she does none of the above.

nummypies avatar nummypie Yeah You Are +1Reply

I hate it when people do that! My friend says she has a fear of elevators, but she uses them INSTEAD of the stairs! It's even worse when people try to comfort you by PRETENDING to have a phobia. It makes me feel like I'm the only person in the world dealing with this.