+465

It's cool when teachers subtly tell kids off in the middle of a lecture- "When Komodo dragons are born, they instinctively run up trees, Jimmy stop talking, they do this because their mothers will eat them, Sally stay in your seat, Komodo dragons have very venomous saliva, Jimmy put your shirt back on, they can swallow a goat whole, Sally get your hands out of Jimmy's pants . . . " amirite?

laikas avatar Education
62 34
The voters have decided that laika is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I learned so many things from this...
1. Komodo dragons can climb trees
2. Komodo dragons' mother's are cannibal
3. Komodo dragons have venomous saliva
4. Komodo dragons can swallow goats
5. Sally is a whore
6. Jimmy is the man
7. How to spell Komodo
8. That the K in Komodo is capitalized

That's not what "subtly" means. What the teacher is doing in your example is pretty much the exact opposite of subtle. The word you're looking for is "nonchalantly"

@MrRite That's not what "subtly" means. What the teacher is doing in your example is pretty much the exact opposite of...

@1073374 (MrRight): The teacher didn't make a big scene and yell "JIMMY WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU'RE DISRUPTING CLASS, GO TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE YOUNG MAN! NOW EVERYBODY WE'RE HAVING EXTRA HOMEWORK BECAUSE OF WHAT JIMMY DID!," instead they just snuck a reprimand into the lecture. That's what I meant by subtle. Maybe it wasn't the perfect word to use, but it makes sense.

laikas avatar laika Yeah You Are +8Reply
@laika @1073374 (MrRight): The teacher didn't make a big scene and yell "JIMMY WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU'RE DISRUPTING...

Oh, I know what you meant. I'm not picking on your for it either, I mean seriously, I don't know why this turned into a 20 comment debate. I was simply trying to help you by letting you know that the word you were using was wrong. I had no ill intentions toward you and I didn't mean to offend anyone (If I did). The main point is that I understand what you meant, it is a good and humorous post, but you just used the wrong word and I let you know so you didn't look like a fool to someone else in the future. Alright?

Actually depending on context such as the volume of the teachers voice, the volume of the room, the tone, the setting quite a good many things then it may indeed be considered as subtle.

@GnormisOfTheUnliving Actually depending on context such as the volume of the teachers voice, the volume of the room, the tone, the...

"Volume of the teacher's voice": Not specified exactly, but I think it's more than fair to say that the OP most likely imagined no change in volume of the voice at any time.

"Volume of the room" She was telling a single student to stop talking. I think it's safe to say it was pretty quiet.

"The tone" Of what? Tone of the lesson? Tone of the classroom? I'm assuming you mean of the teacher's voice, in which case, once again I think it's fair to say there was no change in the teacher's voice

"The setting" Well, I can't be too sure, but I'm guessing it's in a classroom. You know, where most teachers give lessons to students.

Subtle
• making use of clever and indirect methods to achieve something

Not sure about you, but I don't think just plainly telling kids off is exactly a "clever" or "indirect" method.

@MrRite "Volume of the teacher's voice": Not specified exactly, but I think it's more than fair to say that the OP most...

Also, please note, I am not questioning the validity of the meaning of this post. I understand what the OP was trying to get across. I'm not trolling saying "LOL you make mistake so ur post suk and U suk! Har har!" I'm just pointing out an error and kindly correcting it for your education.

Again i think its contextual. When i imagined it i did so as i have seen these kind of things happen. The teacher will read out the lesson in a loud pronounced voice. And in between almost under his/her breath they will quickly get in a "Put the hamster back" and move on without giving it another thought. When things are said that way they are done so more to appeal to the subconscious than the forward thinking mind. So i think thats somewhat clever. And it could be argued that appealing to the subconscious and going around the conscious mind is more OR less direct.

@GnormisOfTheUnliving Again i think its contextual. When i imagined it i did so as i have seen these kind of things happen. The teacher...

Forgive me, I'm no psychology expert, but how is telling someone in plain english (or whatever language they speak) appealing to the subconscious mind?

@MrRite Forgive me, I'm no psychology expert, but how is telling someone in plain english (or whatever language they speak)...

Again it very much depends on context. How something is said. Its like subliminal messaging. You see the image that flashes on your screen but your conscious mind makes no sense of it. It is your subconscious mind that registers and remembers the image. Kinda like the porn frame in Fight Club.

Except komodo dragon saliva isnt venomous. Its just filled with so much bacteria that THAT will kill ya.

My neighbours are called Sally and Jimmy AND they are siblings. I always knew something was weird with that family . . .

Iwannafingeryous avatar Iwannafingeryou Yeah You Are +15Reply

Possible PotD?

biondellos avatar biondello Yeah You Are +13Reply

Cool story bro.

@1074101

Happy to oblige. But you'd better mention me in the acknowledgements!

laikas avatar laika Yeah You Are 0Reply

I totally pictured Jimmy from Ed, Edd, and Eddy. -_-

Ahahahahaha! I so pictured my math teacher! And it's great when he casually calls people out.

Cadywompuss avatar Cadywompus Yeah You Are 0Reply

Why are the sluts always called Sally? Not cool.
Anyways, it's also really funny, when they're throwing someone out of class, but they don't want to disrupt the lesson either, so they just say it really nonchalantly, and then the person being thrown out isn't eve sure that he/she was actually thrown out.

sallynators avatar sallynator Yeah You Are 0Reply