+1,593

There is so much wasted energy lost in gyms. Let's hook up electric generators to the stationary bikes and step machines. Then people could not only lose weight, but also create energy. It wouldn't be much energy, but if there were enough people attending it could at least cover the energy needs of running the gym itself, amirite?

StickCavemans avatar Technology
64 92
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think they should do this in prisons with individual giant hamster wheels connected to generators..

lana_banana_nanas avatar lana_banana_nana Yeah You Are +67Reply
@StickCaveman That's an idea!

I think so :) it would give inmates something constructive to do, whilst providing enough energy maybe for prisons to even become self-sufficient!

There are obviously some issues with this type of technology, however. Someone could easily use this for evil. They'd have their fry cook round up and capture every last jellyfish in some fields, kill them through a cruel and gruesome process, and then literally squeeze the jelly out of 'em, with this all being powered by a cheap crustacean riding a bike. Very complex yet possible.

Y'know, just a thought.

In my gym, there's a device stuck on the bicycles in which you plug your earphones to hear the audio of the televisions. You power you own device, so if you stop pedalling, the audio goes out. This both encourages people to actually excercise and not go to watch T.V. plus, you save energy.

@BobWilson In my gym, there's a device stuck on the bicycles in which you plug your earphones to hear the audio of the...

My gym has that! Except, it's for the radio. If you stop doing your work out, it stops the music. It's annoying to keep doing but it makes me keep going.

I'm a total dork and just did the math. In the scenario above, with 4000 miles weekly, that could produce the same power of a 2 foot diameter turbine spinning at 1000 rpm constantly for a week!

thatguyss avatar thatguys Yeah You Are +28Reply
@1167239

It would depend on the generator/alternator used to create the electricity.

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are +5Reply

I have a good idea. We have people wear their wooliest clothes, then have them roll down a carpeted slope. The people could discharge the static electricity generated into a battery of sorts. Fun, and crazy!

People could get paid to workout should they produce enough electricity, like people running 8 miles 5 days a week? You keep saying that it would be miniscule, but I think you're underestimating how much 40 miles weekly on the circumfrince of a turbine with like 100 people doing this could produce, and this just being running...

thatguyss avatar thatguys Yeah You Are +27Reply
@1167240

How would the gym make any money, wouldn't they just be breaking even? or are you saying only certain people who work out enough get it free?

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +17Reply
@1167810

They already have gyms like that,
they even have a club that uses the kinetic energy of people dancing to charge it.
http://inhabitat.com/sustainable-dance-club/

@1167810

Ahh that makes more sense

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +5Reply

or... they could just bring back Seinfeld and Friends and use the POWER OF LAUGHTER... just... just saying.

Lighten_Ups avatar Lighten_Up Yeah You Are +25Reply

Update: They already have these types of gyms. There's one in Portland, Oregon, and several in California.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +22Reply
@StickCaveman Update: They already have these types of gyms. There's one in Portland, Oregon, and several in California.

The gym I go to has cardio machines that power themselves if used at a certain level, and once you pass that level it saves it in a battery for when people are going slower.

And then when it is New Years, there will be enough energy to power the city of New York but then after 2 weeks, theres gonna be a black out.

@1170103

He said it would be "fiscally inefficient"

@1170086

I love your idea!

Poopies avatar Poopie Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1170086

Maybe, except that global warming doesn't exist, dickbitch.

@Maybe, except that global warming doesn't exist, dickbitch.

But you can't deny that big industries don't care about their ecological footprint

Stwentytwos avatar Stwentytwo Yeah You Are +3Reply

Nope, it doesn't. But global climate change does! Now, how much is actually because of people is debatable (and I personally think people think more highly of what we're capable of).

This is a brilliant idea overall!

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are +14Reply

"...of running the gym..." Dude, if that pun was intended, nice y smilie

Ha, my physics teacher was talking about powering his TV and washing macine with his exercise bike today, while we were studying the purpose of magnets in electric motors. Apparently, he bought an old, used exercise bike for that very purpose.

Just a question, wouldn't that be extremely expensive and cost more money than it saves?

@MasonLN Just a question, wouldn't that be extremely expensive and cost more money than it saves?

In the long run it would pay for itself. Like solar panels... they're expensive right now, but over time, they will pay for themselves because you will cut back on your energy bills.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +11Reply
@StickCaveman In the long run it would pay for itself. Like solar panels... they're expensive right now, but over time, they will...

Also, some companies buy the extra electricity.
My mom said she'd buy solar panels but they don't buy electricity back where I live so it'd take a looong time for them to pay for themselves.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +2Reply

I like the post except for one thing: "create energy" ono smilie

@I like the post except for one thing: "create energy"

How else would you describe it, though? :/ "Create electricity"? "Convert energy"?

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are 0Reply

It amazes me how many ways we can save our planet, we just need the drive to do it.

I suspect if that were actually cost efficient, gyms would do it.

I just love people's nicknames on this website. Haha

DerpyHoovess avatar DerpyHooves Yeah You Are +4Reply
@DerpyHooves I just love people's nicknames on this website. Haha

I've been wanting to change mine, but everybody already knows me as NotSoDangerous.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +4Reply
@StickCaveman I've been wanting to change mine, but everybody already knows me as NotSoDangerous.

You should have a pedophile picture because of how awesome your name is

TalkingRices avatar TalkingRice Yeah You Are +6Reply

This is brilliant!
Or, if they had some for desk jobs/at home.
People could just bike while they type or something. Eventually, people just do it subconsciously and, in time, it'll pay for itself and more.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +3Reply

You know, I've thought this for years, lol.

Maximumnerds avatar Maximumnerd Yeah You Are +3Reply

The Pohl Rec Center at The Univeristy of North Texas uses exactly what you described. It's really cool. When I work out, I create energy:)

That's a GREAT idea!

Mr_Superfluouss avatar Mr_Superfluous Yeah You Are +2Reply

I'll volunteer. I need to get in better shape to chase down those StaminUp-addicted bastards that run around with Tank.

The university of central florida has this in the gym, it's pretty cool

@The university of central florida has this in the gym, it's pretty cool

It's nice to know that this is more common than I thought, but a little disappointing that I didn't patented it when I first thought of it.

You have got to be kidding about hiring people to exercise to generate electricity. You'd be able to get higher efficiency from the direct burning of food

@1170114

nvm edited, dammit

@1170111

This is my second greatest accomplishment in life. :D (first greatest accomplishment is my first POTD)

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply

Talking about your follow-up. look up nano generators.

This post has inspired me :)

You could totally write an amazing essay for college applications or something on this...I wish I thought of it now :P

I'm sure there are a lot of sides to this (I'm not really reading all the comments) and maybe I'm just dumb, but you're kinda really smart!

nobody347s avatar nobody347 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I wonder what idiots voted this post down.

@Poopie I wonder what idiots voted this post down.

People who don't want to multitask.

Law of conservation of energy ftw!

I love this idea.

Vrendowls avatar Vrendowl Yeah You Are 0Reply

Unless of course you could care less about "going green" and shit like that. I could care less about saving energy and all that retarded stuff.

All you got to do is watch the DirecTV commercials. Where the guy is lifting weights and the rich guy is getting all the benefits. Simple as that.

Wrong. The energy made up event was made by propaganda the gyms wouldn't even let that happen. All that would do is the obese people would burn of calories but electricity is electrons not calories so you are wrong.

@burnagaininja Wrong. The energy made up event was made by propaganda the gyms wouldn't even let that happen. All that would do is...

I think you are half way through middle school science and you do not think you understand how a generator works

...That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know precisely how it all works, but my understanding is this: Energy can be converted into other forms of energy.
Moving, like cycling a bike, makes kinetic energy. That can be converted into electricity (somehow, I'm not sure exactly how), because electricity is also energy. So you'd just be turning one form of energy into another, which happens all the time. One example of that is if you rub your hands together (that's movement, kinetic energy) they get warm (heat energy).

I don't know if all that is precisely right, but I'd say I'm much less far off than you... :P

@burnagaininja Well clearyl you DONT know how it all works because that is wrong.

Okay, where's your proof that your version is correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy
To quote from that, "Any form of energy may be transformed into another form."

http://inventors.about.com/libr...lelectric1.htm
That says that turbines can be used to create electricity, which means that kinetic energy can be converted to electric energy, and that the post is correct. ('Cause turbines spin, and so you could make a small one using exercise bikes)

http://www.wired.com/cars/energ...15-11/st_power
http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum..._converted.htm
http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum..._of_energy.htm

So yeah, there's my sources. :P

Or how about we run up and down the stairs...

@StickCaveman I think you're missing the point.

Forgot about the creating energy part. But there are a lot of ways to exercise without needing expensive equipment.

@StickCaveman I agree. I'd much rather go for a jog outside than on a boring old treadmill.

this would still be great for people who might not agree. Rich people, psh.

DerpyHoovess avatar DerpyHooves Yeah You Are +1Reply

Think about what you're suggesting:

1. Grow food using fossil fuels.
2. Have people eat enough of this food that they have energy to go to the gym.
3. Convert energy used in exercise into electrical energy.

It makes more sense to just have people eat less food and convert the fossil fuels directly into electricity.

@Think about what you're suggesting: 1. Grow food using fossil fuels. 2. Have people eat enough of this food that...

People aren't going to eat less food though. I'm thinking in small scale terms from the point of view of a fitness center owner. The amount of electrical energy you could get from a generator attached to an exercise bike is very small, but with enough bikes and enough people, this could possibly power the whole fitness center.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +42Reply

you forgot to mention the benefit of the people staying fit WHILE enjoying the food? What you described was lack of food AND less fit.

thatguyss avatar thatguys Yeah You Are +36Reply