+323

It's weird how, in a lot of period films, no matter what European country they're from, characters will speak with a British accent. I mean, I'm pretty sure Julius Caesar was from Rome, not Sussex, amirite?

monstrositys avatar
4 11
The voters have decided that monstrosity is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1080072

The only reason I watch those is to listen to South African accents.

Like The Prince of Egypt. The pharoes have English accents but Moses and all the Jews have American accents.

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I understand that for European countries -- as far as I know, they have an English accent because the people who taught them English were the Brits. 'Enemy At The Gates' is a good example of that, I think; they were all Russian (I think?).
And Greek/Roman accents are slightly different, almost their own accent... |D

The Jungle Book. Everyone spoke with English accents ... except the monkeys, who had African accents.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Simon The Jungle Book. Everyone spoke with English accents ... except the monkeys, who had African accents.

Notice how I said "European" in my post.

I hope you know the difference between Europe and Africa.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are -1Reply
@528491 Isn't the Jungle Book set in India not Africa?

That would make sense, seeing as Rudyard Kipling was English and deeply imperialistic. Yes, it definitely is set in India.

I just keep making a fool of myself. -_-

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are 0Reply
@monstrosity Notice how I said "European" in my post. I hope you know the difference between Europe and Africa.

No, I don't, I was always under the impression that all continents were the same.

I meant it as an example of the context of the post - that movies, whether set or made in Europe or otherwise, tend to not given the characters accents that would be believable the curent setting/time period. I can understand translating to English for an Enlish-speaking audience, but most actors should be able to study and learn accents for a period piece, or a movie set in another area.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Simon No, I don't, I was always under the impression that all continents were the same. I meant it as an example of the...

My apologies. I misread the post. For some idiotic reason I thought you said all the characters had African accents.

I was confused by that, as well, because I didn't remember many African accents in that movie. XD Makes much more sense.

Again, my apologies. I spoke before thinking.

Period films?

wha..

@LissaLoveless Period films? wha..

Movies set in a certain time period Ie. Ancient Roman civilisation.

Not movies about a woman's menstrual cycle ;P