+252

The people at IBM spent years and possibly billions of dollars to develop a computer that can play jeopardy. Isn't that sort of what's wrong with society today? "Alright guys we have infinite money and amazing technology should we try to cure cancer? Nah you're right, feed the millions of starving kids in Africa? Nah that's a waste. I know, let's build something that can play jeopardy!", amirite?

death_or_glorys avatar
10 24
The voters have decided that death_or_glory is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

IBM's job is to make computers. You don't see janitors performing open heart surgery.

@__________ IBM's job is to make computers. You don't see janitors performing open heart surgery.

Thank you.
I believe people need to do some research on things before they post them.

The point of the post was to say what they spent their money doing instead of the far more beneficial things they could have done with it.

death_or_glorys avatar death_or_glory Yeah You Are -10Reply
@death_or_glory The point of the post was to say what they spent their money doing instead of the far more beneficial things they...

You realize they're a fucking company, right? Their job is to earn money, not feed starving kids in Africa.

There are other, more qualified people (like medical doctors) to cure/research cancer. As an aside, clearly you have no real understanding of what infinite money is, but I can tell you for sure that IBM does not have that much. Arguably feeding the starving kids of Africa is a waste. Wouldn't that just lead to more overpopulation, on a scale even grander than it is now? Clearly you have no imagination. In building a computer that can play Jeopardy, IBM built a machine that is able (with relative success) to understand the English language and to search through incredible amounts of information to provide the desired nugget. You can't think of any other possible use for this? Like, say, to help diagnose patients in hospitals or suggest treatment?
http://www.geekosystem.com/watson-computer-price/

Mitchs avatar Mitch No Way +34Reply
@Mitch There are other, more qualified people (like medical doctors) to cure/research cancer. As an aside, clearly you...

Yup I was actually going to say something similar to this. I attended the conference IBM had for IBM workers and family or IT students and they mentioned all the other things you could use Watson for... but I'm pretty sure all that information is a search engine away... google may not be Watson, but I'm sure you'll get your answer op

What about the starving kids that aren't in Africa? >.>

@Walrus What about the starving kids that aren't in Africa? >.>

That annoys me to no end. How people mention the starving kids in Africa. Not all of Africa is a desert wasteland.It's like they don't know that there's starving PEOPLE(not just kids) in all parts of the world.

@Eminna That annoys me to no end. How people mention the starving kids in Africa. Not all of Africa is a desert...

Agreed! Let's focus on perfecting our own country before we go trying to fix everyone else. This is Americas problem...you can't help others until you can help yourself.

35.9 million people live below the poverty line in America, including 12.9 million children.

Percentage and number of poor children: 18.9 percent (13.5 million)
Children make up 39 percent of the poor and 26 percent of the total population.
The poverty rate for children is higher than for any other age group.

http://www.soundvision.com/Info...statistics.asp

bandgeekjessyes avatar bandgeekjessye Yeah You Are +5Reply

By this logic, why should we try to make any progress aside from medicine? Don't get me wrong, medicine is extremely important, but that doesn't mean we have to focus everything we do on medical research.

@By this logic, why should we try to make any progress aside from medicine? Don't get me wrong, medicine is...

Exactly. All that will happen is more people will live and overpopulation will be rampant. I say we improve and enjoy the lives we have without wasting them by trying to elongate them.

"I do not want to live in a world where we only focus on suck, and never think about awesome." -Hank Green

If you knew the real purpose of WATSON, then you'd think differently. WATSON's function was tested by playing Jeopardy: to search through a huge amount of information (in the English language, not code) and produce a single result that answers the question (or in this case asks the question to the answer). IBM's final intent for the computer was to help doctors diagnose patients.

Yeah, and how do you think we have the technology we do today? Because decades ago, some guys got together and said "Hey, let's build a machine that adds two numbers together!"

Marios avatar Mario No Way +13Reply

Watson's purpose wasn't to play jeopardy. It's just that jeopardy happened to be an excellent setting to show off it's capabilities.

This is so similar to people who think evolution is 'by chance.' They didn't just make Watson because they were like, "Jeopardy is cool! Herpety derpety." No. It's because of future uses like diagnosing and treating patients, and what it can for imply for AI.

IT'S ZE SOUND OF PROGRESS, MY FRIEND.

Money is not the problem, it's a lack of manpower and conflicts with local government.

My best friends dad happened to be someone who worked on this computer. He said that technology is advancing, and that a computer can be built to compete against real humans and win. It's innovation. In 20 years, we will be able to do more because they were able to do this. Just like how 50 years ago, they built simple computers that helped build more complex computers later.

You could've worded this in a way that might've changed my vote. That kind of example is definitely not "what's wrong with society".

Anonymous