+182

Although I believe people shouldn't mistreet animals and pets, it seems much more productive to me to spend the $12,000 a year on helping starving people then buying pet food, clipping their nails, and buying their toys. Amirite?

tea_s avatar
3 28
The voters have decided that tea_ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

1. All money that isn't spent fulfilling vital needs could be spent "more productively"
2. That $12,000/year figure is completely arbitrary and made up
3. Owning a pet, in no way, is a negative thing
4. Reprimanding people isn't going to instill change

people shouldnt mistreat animals doesnt have anything to do with buying their toys and getting their nails clipped.

dickys avatar dicky No Way +12Reply

I find it funny when hippies complain about humans killing or using animals for our benefits, but then turn around and say its okay for animals to eat each other. If we're on top of the food chain, why wouldn't we eat animals? Circle of Life. Watch Lion King, people.

@pantherfanatic I find it funny when hippies complain about humans killing or using animals for our benefits, but then turn around...

Maybe it's because we as humans have the power to eat alternative foods. Lions need meat, they are carnivorous. They also have a limited food supply. Humans are omnivorous, and can live just as easily without eating meat as they could eating meat.

@Maybe it's because we as humans have the power to eat alternative foods. Lions need meat, they are carnivorous...

Pigs, badgers, bears, coatis, hedgehogs, opossums, skunks, sloths, and squirrels are all omnivorous species, but it's not as if we view them as immoral because of that...

@pantherfanatic Pigs, badgers, bears, coatis, hedgehogs, opossums, skunks, sloths, and squirrels are all omnivorous species, but...

We're also smart enough to know better. Squirrels don't exactly have the same mental capacity as humans.

@We're also smart enough to know better. Squirrels don't exactly have the same mental capacity as humans.

But as soon as you say we're smarter than them, you admit we are superior to them. I think following what PETA teaches is ultimately paradoxical. You can't hold humans to a higher moral standard because we are superior to animals, and then say we're equal to animals. It just doesn't add up.

Thank you.
Additionally they say "people=animals", "ALL animals are sacred", etc. but chop up gross chickens for their happy meals and not cute little bunnies.

Either they can't except humans are boss in this world or are just blind to their own contradictions.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1088193

Well I think we should care for our species a little more. Don't agree? Try leaving your child with a lion for a couple of days. You'll see how well they treat them!

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are -12Reply
@1088209

Nor did I ever say go outside and pour oil in the ocean. I'm simply saying it'd wiser to spend that money helping starving people then spending over 12 grand a year buying them toys and little outfits.

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are -4Reply
@tea_ Well I think we should care for our species a little more. Don't agree? Try leaving your child with a lion for a...

leaving a baby with a lion wouldn't necessarily end as bad as it sounds because animals, especially mothers, tend to treat babies pretty much the same with their mother instincts. Like you can find all kinds of videos of tigers raising baby pigs or cats nursing dogs and things like that on youtube. Also, you can't say that humans are more important because we are less aggressive then other species. We are by far the most cruel, twisted, and hurtful species on this planet. Just look at the holocaust, slavery, wars, factory farms, animal testing, and all the many little ways that we cause suffering to other living feeling beings just for convenience or pleasure.

No, I disagree. That's not what you think at all.

Basically when ever we spend money on anything that money could have been more helpful to the world in some other way, but getting a pet is like having a child. Although it is expensive and the money could have been "more productive" somewhere else, it is also important for you to be happy yourself and if getting a pet or having a child is how you will be happy then they should do it. And it will give a pet a home that is in need of a home, well if you adopt from a shelter.

@Basically when ever we spend money on anything that money could have been more helpful to the world in some other...

I'm not saying it's bad to get a pet I'm saying it's ridiculous how much money people spend on animals. Like do they really need Hallwoeen costumes and little clothes? No!

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are +2Reply
@tea_ I'm not saying it's bad to get a pet I'm saying it's ridiculous how much money people spend on animals. Like do...

Are you a dumbass? Not everybody does that. I've never dressed up my cat OR my dog. They're practically family, and I would adopt them over and over again if given the choice.

$12000/year is completely false, there is no way it cost $12000/year to look after an animal.

@Kaitlyn $12000/year is completely false, there is no way it cost $12000/year to look after an animal.

I think this post is referring to more serious animal lovers. I'm sure some people do. Especially if the animal goes to the vet often

i like animals as much as the next guy but i dont think my dog gives a damn whether her food bowl is made of gold or a freaking hole in the ground, i think its kinda hypocritical to say you want animals to be happy and then make it wear a fluffy little jacket just because "itll look so cute" , theyre pets, not people, if you really care about them then make sure theyre fed and healthy instead of buying it little pet shoes and costumes to dress it up on halloween

We're simply too many people in this world!

well i sill consider my animals a part of my family and im not going to forego buying them things to make them happy to give it elsewhere. you're talking about taking ALL of the money people spend on things for their pets (food included) and giving it away. sorry, that's just stupid.

*mistreat