+267

For about the first five years of school, English classes should focused on grammar and vocabulary. Then, the focus can shift to areas such as literature and composition. With this system, students still receive sufficient education in all areas, but hopefully there would be less people with a serious lack of grammar skills. amirite?

NfskMjmMals avatar Education
2 14
The voters have decided that NfskMjmMal is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"should be focused"
"hopefully there would be fewer
people"
Sorry, couldn't resist, carry on...

You can't get a class of 10 year olds to focus on grammar and vocabulary if they don't have literature or composition. The aim should be for the second two should excite interest in the first. Kids can tear through vocab and gammar if you give them a reason to.

@Distinctions You can't get a class of 10 year olds to focus on grammar and vocabulary if they don't have literature or...

I think there was a misinterpretation of the word "focus." When I say focus, I don't mean that there's going to be no literature or composition. I mean that there should be a little more emphasis on grammar and proper English. Basically, in short, my post is saying that a little more time should be spent teaching children proper grammar. (Attempting to) instill the love of reading into children and having them formlate reponses and writing are definitely important and should definitely always be a focus. One example is the incredible fail that is the comment section on a popular Youtube video.

NfskMjmMals avatar NfskMjmMal Yeah You Are +4Reply
@NfskMjmMal I think there was a misinterpretation of the word "focus." When I say focus, I don't mean that there's going to be...

its youtube... no one cares. and we did learn all our grammar in grade school maybe thats the problem ,maybe they should have kept doing it through out middle and high shcool

I re-read my post, and I realize that I should've added the word 'more' after the word 'focused.' My bad.

NfskMjmMals avatar NfskMjmMal Yeah You Are +3Reply
@NfskMjmMal I re-read my post, and I realize that I should've added the word 'more' after the word 'focused.' My bad.

It was actually kinda funny and ironic because you were talking about focusing on grammar at school

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are +1Reply

In that case, I agree with you. Although the fact that most teachers hate teaching grammar as much as the students hate learning it could easily be half the problem. No matter how much focus is put on grammar, students won't pick it up if they can't stand it and they won't get away from that dislike if the teacher is projecting it on the class.

That's exactly how my school system is organized. I used to think that it was like that everywhere, but I guess not haha.

This is a terribly worded post that contains numerous grammatical errors, despite its topic. Whoever made it should go die or learn English.

I wouldn't say that. There should be more grammar early on, but other things should also be incorporated.