-204

You would never want a cochlear implant if you were deaf. amirite?

Mari435s avatar
1 9
The voters have decided that Mari435 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Why wouldnt people want to hear?

Fv92s avatar Fv92 No Way +5Reply
@Fv92 Why wouldnt people want to hear?

I'm Deaf, and I don't mind not being able to hear. The surgery is also very invasive, and they haven't been around long enough to know of long term effects. Many people get them, and then don't like it, but they are there forever. It just seems very risky.

Mari435s avatar Mari435 Yeah You Are +1Reply

My grandparents have been deaf their whole lives, I wish they could afford a cochlear implant, if not just so they could hear my voice just once.

well I am currently taking sign langauge in my high school and a lot of deaf people don't want it because they feel it takes away from their culture. as if you were black and you could turn white, people wouldn't want to do that. having hearing aids/ cochlear implants to hear nature and stuff is all right but to learn how to speak and lose part of your identity, i dont know...

@well I am currently taking sign langauge in my high school and a lot of deaf people don't want it because they feel...

"as if you were black and you could turn white"

The difference is that being black isn't a problem.

Yeah, who needs hearing when BABY JESUS MADE ME PERFECT JUST THE WAY I AM!

I would accept myself for who I am. Plus I could be a part of the unique deaf culture that is nearly impossible to experience when one is hearing.

I'm Hard Of Hearing, HOH. I wear hearing aids now. But I am 80% sure that I'll eventually become deaf. I think by the time I become deaf, I'd still like to hear. I probably would eventually have the surgery.