-116

If you think about it how could there not be a god? The only other theory is that the universe started as nothing and then exploded. There has to be some divine being who created all this. People who don't believe in anything just aren't using common sense. amirite?

freeweezys avatar
1 35
The voters have decided that freeweezy is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I started reading this thinking, "try to understand their side and be open-minded." But then I read it and thought, "there's a reason why so many people are disagreeing."

I half-agreed with you until the last sentence. I am a devout Christian and I totally see what your saying, but everyone has a right to their own religion and belief system. You can't just say someone isn't "using common sense" because they don't agree with you. That, my dear, is being very close minded.

This would have gone over a lot better if you did not end the post by insulting people who do not agree with you.

Says "freeweezy"...not gonna trust you...

@Says "freeweezy"...not gonna trust you...

Yeah, Anonymous, you're one to talk about a stupid username.

@freeweezy douche.

can only blame yourself with a stupid username like that

Who/what created the "divine being"?

@verticallychallenged Who/what created the "divine being"?

Even though I disagree with the post, God (or a god) is supposed to be far beyond human understanding. That's why they're a god and not a person. I've always been told "God is." And I can accept that because he's a god.

Humanity will one day create a time machine, using this they will go into the past and create the universe!

Runys avatar Runy No Way +1Reply

God is a timeless being. He is not in need of a cause, as any temporal thing like the universe is.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are -12Reply

If He is all powerful then he can time travel. which means he can travel back in time to before he existed and create himself, thus creating an endless loop of no beginning and no end.

Richard Dawkins
Stephen Hawking
Linus Pauling
Alan Turing
Peter Higgs
Steven Weinburg
Carl Sagan
Daniel Dennett
Steven Pinker

The people listed above are all atheists. Why don't you go tell those brilliant people that they "aren't using common sense" because they don't believe in God, and see how well that goes for you.

The universe didn't start as nothing. It started as a massive amount of energy, with no mass, so it was focused into a tiny point. God then caused one of the four spatial dimensions to become a temporal dimension, and things could change. After 14 billion years, He made Earth. That's my theory anyway, becasue it's hard to deny all the science stuff, but I'm still Christian.

I think all 'spontaneous' changes were done by God, and everything else was the consequence of His actions, and had minimal input directly from Him.

Still, instability shows that there could also not be a God, but I believe anyway.

Well, BLEH to you.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=11571150

I'm not going to try and argue with you, or say that Stephen Hawking is infallible, but I seriously doubt that the man lacks common sense.

"How can you believe that the universe came from nothing?"
"Didn't your god come from nothing?"
"That's different. He's magical."

Madies avatar Madie No Way +4Reply

Neither side is using "common sense" by your definition. You either believe that the universe "just was." or that some being "just was" and created the universe... I only agree more with the bing bang side because there is some scientific evidence to back it up. No matter which side you're on, you'll always sound silly.

That's like saying a divine being had to have created a rock, because it can't just come from nothing, therefore, something HAD to put it there.

Because believing in a god is common sense.

@Egotistical Because believing in a god is common sense.

You could have just said Pascal's wager, but that brings in a host of problems on its own. I see your point, though.

Well, if you believe that there is no consequence for believing in a god that doesn't exist, but that there is a consequence for not believing in a god that doesn't exist, then yes, believing in a god would seem to be common sense. Then again, you may not believe any of that.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not common sense, but the better option. Of course I'm not trying to say this is true, I'm just suggesting a possibility.

This is a very narrow-minded post. People should be able to believe whatever they want.

People who don't believe in god do believe in something. Most believe in science and the big bang/evolution.

Readzs avatar Readz No Way 0Reply

For the last time (although I'm sure it won't be because of idiots like you) those are not the only fucking options. Just because I don't believe god created everything, doesn't mean I believe in the big bang. I don't KNOW what happened, and I am content living that way.

insert witty comment mocking OP's definition of "common sense"

For me, I just don't understand why atheists find it hard to believe in God because it's "far-fetched" but think it's acceptable to think that two pieces of dust hitting each other was a strong enough force to start the universe, and then where did those two pieces of dust come from? I'm seriously asking, what is an atheist's thoughts on that?

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are -13Reply
@tea_ For me, I just don't understand why atheists find it hard to believe in God because it's "far-fetched" but think...

you should try doing a little research, it's interesting what you might find (i don't mean that in a deragatory way). i don't remember all of the details, but the big bang is the expansion of the universe from one point. the evidence for tha today is that the universe is still expanding in every direction, or what science calls "red shift". the other thing is that the big bang is followed by the big crunch. this is where eventually the universe will collapse back into it's original form of a single point of energy where a new big bang would occur. essentially it's a process that will continue forever.

Yes I understand this but where do atheists think the Big Bang came from? Something had to have made that energy for the whole process to begin?

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are +1Reply
@tea_ Yes I understand this but where do atheists think the Big Bang came from? Something had to have made that energy...

that's really i double sided argument. thinking that way any athiest could point out that something should've been needed to create an omniscient deity. it's put that from either stand point, each is thought to have existed forever

Hmm I still don't really understand, do you guys just consider it an unsolved mystery? I love science and I know that one of the main purposes of science is to figure out the why and how things came to form, while I am a Christian and fully believe God made it all so my wondering stops about that, I just want to know what atheists think the Big Bang came from. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone I'm just actually really curious.

tea_s avatar tea_ Yeah You Are +1Reply
@tea_ Hmm I still don't really understand, do you guys just consider it an unsolved mystery? I love science and I know...

i hope nobody was offended by a few questions, and to be honest, i'm not an athiest. that's why i'm not as adept as i'd like to be in answering you. others may think it different but i just think that it is something that science can't answer yet.

Anonymous