+162

Telling people to act naturally is like telling them to jump off a skyscaper. They just can't do it. amirite?

kimmyys avatar
2 6
The voters have decided that kimmyy is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Yes, they can.

Once.

@Yes, they can. Once.

I meant that they can't find it in themselves to actually jump.(if they're not depressed or there's some other factor) Likewise, people can never find it in themselves to not laugh.

kimmyys avatar kimmyy Yeah You Are -1Reply

Sure they can't jump, they don't want to die. But acting naturally doesn't any harm whatsoever, and people do it very often (around friends, family, or self). This analogy is completely wrong.

@Nacklefoodle Sure they can't jump, they don't want to die. But acting naturally doesn't any harm whatsoever, and people do it...

Like I said above, after doing, oh say an April Fool's Day joke, the person will almost always laugh after being told not to. If you told someone to jump off a building they mostly won't.
I didn't mean the actinglikeit'sthebestdayeverwhenit'sactuallytheworst acting.

kimmyys avatar kimmyy Yeah You Are 0Reply
@kimmyy Like I said above, after doing, oh say an April Fool's Day joke, the person will almost always laugh after being...

???
Did I miss something?
Was it a typo that made you write "act naturally" instead of "don't laugh"?

Oh I see.
Maybe you meant the "QUICK! ACT NATURALLY!" that they do only in films and television. That wasn't clear at all.
I thought you meant to literally act naturally, and not trying to whistle nonchalantly after doing something bad.

In any case, this is still a bad analogy, because the two have nothing in common: the first is your instinct and reverse psychology talking, while in the second you just don't want to die.

@Nacklefoodle ??? Did I miss something? Was it a typo that made you write "act naturally" instead of "don't laugh"? Oh I see...

I've never told someone to pretend they were allright when they weren't. Also, I tell people to act naturally... and I'm not quoting a movie. The common understanding of act naturally, where I live anyways, is the humming after pulling a prank you mentioned.