-183

Offered 10million dollars, 3 people you don't know across the world will die. You would do it, amirite?

Traviss avatar
1 63
The voters have decided that Travis is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Do I get to choose which three people?

If so, it's a win win.

Kill three people already on death row.

Donate to some organization that will save lives.

Keep the rest to enjoy a highly wasteful lifestyle.

dukeitoutxxs avatar dukeitoutxx Yeah You Are +51Reply

I'm lord Voldemort... I'LL DO IT.

Jardens avatar Jarden Yeah You Are +35Reply

I read a story about someone who came to a couple's house saying "Here's this thing with a button. If you push the button someone you don't know will die, and you will get $500,000." The husband was completely against it and was offended by the offer. His wife was interested in it, and she and her husband fought over it for a few days, while the box with the button just sat there. One day after her husband had left, she decided to push the button. A few minutes after she pressed it the phone rang. Her husband had been killed in a subway accident. She got $500,000 from his life insurance. She called up the man who gave her the box and said, "I thought it would be someone I didn't know!" The man responded "Do you really think you knew your husband?" It was a good story.

Laughing_sporks avatar Laughing_spork Yeah You Are +28Reply
@Laughing_spork I read a story about someone who came to a couple's house saying "Here's this thing with a button. If you push the...

The short story is called Button, Button by Richard Matheson. The Twilight Zone made a show based of the story, but it has a different ending. The man who gave them the button comes back, gives them the money, tells them someone has died, and tells them the button will be given to another person. Someone they don't know.

Laughing_sporks avatar Laughing_spork Yeah You Are 0Reply

I watched the movie "The Box" to see the effect of this action.

I was like... WTF?

@MasonLN I watched the movie "The Box" to see the effect of this action. I was like... WTF?

Someone just told me this, I didn't know there was a movie o.O

Traviss avatar Travis Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Travis Someone just told me this, I didn't know there was a movie o.O

In the movie (spoilers) aliens are testing humanity with the boxes, and opening the box kills someone else, and then you die later because someone else gets the box.

Little known fact: That movie was based on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Haven't you seen The Box? The whole thing is a test of character, and if you take the money, you die next! Then some weird alien shit happens and a kid goes blind.

@Hey, I'm torrenting the movie; don't spoil it for me! D:

If you're going to watch the movie, why would you read comments on a post that obviously relates to it?

I wouldn't. What if you were that person? Money doesn't buy happiness.

EpicBoys avatar EpicBoy No Way +16Reply
@EpicBoy I wouldn't. What if you were that person? Money doesn't buy happiness.

But crying in a Porshe feels a lot better than crying on a bike!

@Dinosaurs "...3 people you don't know..."

I think EpicBoy meant "what if someone else made that decision, and you ended up dying?" And just because you don't know the person doesn't make their life worthless.

i wouldn't knowingly take blood money. Yes, my life would be better, but at what cost? I know I could never live with myself.

Trishs avatar Trish No Way +16Reply

to be honest, i'd do it

i_am_boreeeeds avatar i_am_boreeeed Yeah You Are +8Reply
@i_am_boreeeed to be honest, i'd do it

Same here. I hate to say it but I am selfish. And it's not like I'd know them soo... Eh.

Tweetbaby14s avatar Tweetbaby14 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Anybody here read The Monkey's Paw?

What if you used the money to help so many more people in deathly situations? Like going to a third world country and providing food and water for an entire starving town or paying people's medical bills?

@Cuban_B Because so many people who condone murder are philanthropists?

Is it really murder if you save more lives than you ended? Such interesting questions to ponder.

@_pi_ Is it really murder if you save more lives than you ended? Such interesting questions to ponder.

Of course it is. Justified (in your mind) or not it's murder. Turning it around, would you sacrifice your life so some guy could get obscenely rich and give some, or even most, to charity?

@Cuban_B Of course it is. Justified (in your mind) or not it's murder. Turning it around, would you sacrifice your life so...

No, because like most people, I am selfish enough to choose my own life. However, if someone told me that they were killing me to save the lives of many others, I would be sad, but would find it hard to blame him for such a choice.

@_pi_ No, because like most people, I am selfish enough to choose my own life. However, if someone told me that they were...

I wouldn't find it hard. If he were so willing to sacrifice a life to save countless others I'd tell that fucker to sacrifice himself and give me the money, you know? Shit, I'd name a charity after him. But my point is it's not altruistic if you're making that kind of decision for somebody else.

NO WAY I SAW THAT EPISODE OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE!

One could be a single mother trying to support 5 kids...I wouldn't put children in that situation, as I wouldn't put fathers or mothers through the pain of knowing that their children won't be cared for because God knows which side of the world they live in, or how they'll die. With questions like these, you'd be an idiotic psychopath not to consider this. So, no...I would say I wouldn't.

You could save more than 3 people with $10 million.

@YeahIAm You could save more than 3 people with $10 million.

What if those three people were to become famous philanthropists who found new ways to help poverty in the world?

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way 0Reply
@tea_ What if those three people were to become famous philanthropists who found new ways to help poverty in the world?

And what if they were murderers? And what if they were already sick and going to die? And what if they were terrorists?

If we get into the "what if" world, we won't be going anywhere.

@tea_ Yes, but in a situation like that it's almost for sure the worst will happen.

What...? Why is that? The people that die are RANDOM. There is no greater chance than normal for anyone important to die.

@YeahIAm What...? Why is that? The people that die are RANDOM. There is no greater chance than normal for anyone important...

Because in situations like those that are meant to judge your morals, they kill people that are important to show you that you are being selfish. Like the story below shows V

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way -1Reply
@tea_ Because in situations like those that are meant to judge your morals, they kill people that are important to show...

That was a STORY. If it was meant to judge your morals, then I believe that choosing to take the money and then donating all of it to a charity that help kids fight starvation is the best thing to do. Yes, there are dire consequences, but the positive effects outweigh those.

It would be deemed wrong by anyone who knew those that died, but that is because they would be biased.

Choosing to take the money is the "hard decision", but also the morally correct one if you actually give the money to charity.

@YeahIAm That was a STORY. If it was meant to judge your morals, then I believe that choosing to take the money and then...

Yes and this post is a hypothetical situation; neither are real. & I'm pretty sure you would not appreciate the decision if someone you loved was killed, or even yourself.

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way 0Reply
@tea_ Yes and this post is a hypothetical situation; neither are real. & I'm pretty sure you would not appreciate the...

You're right, I wouldn't. But that would be because I would then be biased.

From the perspective of neither knowing those that benefited from the money or those that died as a consequence, I would saying hitting the button is morally correct as long as you give the money to charity.

@YeahIAm You're right, I wouldn't. But that would be because I would then be biased. From the perspective of neither...

Well we all have our opinions so I respect your, though I still disagree. Yes it'd be more morally correct if you gave all or most of the money to charity, but I still believe the right decision would be not to do it.

Thank you for being respectful in this argument and not resulting to swearing :)

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way 0Reply
@Magestic_merman You maybe COULD. But that wouldn't be for sure.

Thousands of people die from poverty each year. I believe $10 million dollars could save at least three of there lives.

But I'm not sure, I've heard food prices are going up...

@YeahIAm Thousands of people die from poverty each year. I believe $10 million dollars could save at least three of there...

A lot of people after getting the money would keep it and not donate it. And anyways, you dont know if it would actually save a life, extra food may help a life, but there is no proof it would save one. It might, but you don't know. And either way, it's still murder.

EmptyMelodiess avatar EmptyMelodies Yeah You Are +5Reply

what if your decision to take the money killed a single mothers with 5 children, some of which have health problems? You are potentially devestating the lives of those children who are left with nothing! Or the world's leading cancer researcher who is on the brink of discovering a cure! Or a man who spent his entire life working three jobs to feed his starving children? Honestly, no amount of money would entice me into doing that. Life is precious, yes the money can go towards research and charity which could potentially save lives, but hopefully society as a whole already donates instead of waiting for a lump sum like this to come their way.

Just 3 people I DON'T know? Of course I'll take it, I'm not retarded.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +3Reply

100(people who yya'd) X 3(People who would die if this were real) = 300 innocent lives. Shame on you guys.

Never. I'd be drowning in guilt for the rest of my life.

Eesas avatar Eesa No Way +2Reply

$10,000,000? Someone convert to pounds, then we shall talk.

Love for money will get you no where.
1 Timothy 6 :)

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +1Reply

I wouldn't have to get a merit scholarship. Neither would my brother. My parents wouldn't be in debt. We could live a normal life and start over. We could have savings, money in the bank, food in the kitchen, clothes in the closet. I would do it.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are 0Reply

i wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I'd take the money and keep it and I don't care if people think that's wrong. But I imagine if this situation actually presented itself in real life, a lot of people voting NW would be hesitating.

soberlikekeshas avatar soberlikekesha Yeah You Are 0Reply

What if those people were loved? I couldn't do it.

Five million dollars could save thousands of lives in third world countries. Essentially, if half the money did go to charity, it would be sacrificing a few strangers to save thousands, then also making you wealthy.

Anonymous