+234

People with schizophrenia do NOT have multiple personalities. People with schizophrenia hear things that aren't there, experience paranoid delusions, and have disorganized thoughts. If you have multiple personalities, that means you have dissociative identity disorder, NOT schizophrenia. There's a huge difference. It's annoying that people seem to think they're the same disorder, amirite?

monstrositys avatar
5 18
The voters have decided that monstrosity is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

People who see these two disorders as the same thing are, in no offense, very stupid. I have schizophrenia (which was passed down genetically) and I definitely do not have multiple personalities. Hallucinations are about the worse aspect of it for me.

alienators avatar alienator Yeah You Are +8Reply
@alienator People who see these two disorders as the same thing are, in no offense, very stupid. I have schizophrenia (which...

I'm very sorry you have to deal with that. :( I've done quite a bit of research on it myself, and from what I've learned it seems just terrifying.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are 0Reply
@monstrosity I'm very sorry you have to deal with that. :( I've done quite a bit of research on it myself, and from what I've...

Yes its annoying but the people that think schizophrenia is multiple personality disorder don't know any better and its slightly ignorant of you to expect them to. I might be wrong but im assuming you only know so much about the two because you've "done quite a bit of research on it" and i only know because i study psychology, but unless someone actively seeks to know about it or they know somebody diagnosed with one of them then its forgivable that they mix them up because thats just what they've heard.

If I could give this post 1000 YYA votes I would.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +6Reply

For example, a subject who "hears voices" essentially perceives the existence of another personality in his or her mind. This is symptomatic of skitzoid insofar as the subject is able to consciously distinguish between his/her thoughts and strange* thoughts that s/he perceives while making a deliberate effort to avoid acting on any strange directive. However, when the subject is unable to make this distinction and does what the strange thoughts direct him or her to do, the behaviour of the subject is very similar to the behaviour of those with DID.

*"alien"

rococos avatar rococo Yeah You Are +2Reply
@rococo For example, a subject who "hears voices" essentially perceives the existence of another personality in his or her...

True, but while the voices ARE from the mind of a schizophrenic, they don't always think it's a "voice in their head", per se. Sometimes they hallucinate that someone said something to them, or that people who aren't there are shouting at them. So while, yes, it technically is a "personality inside of them", there's still a significant difference.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +3Reply

I also absolutely hate when people mix up bipolar disorder and multi-personality disorder.

acisseJs avatar acisseJ Yeah You Are +2Reply

More true than false. I still think there's considerable overlap between the two conditions.

rococos avatar rococo Yeah You Are 0Reply

This isnt at you OP cus someone had to do it on here one day
but something thats even worse than people mistaking schizophrenia with multiple personality disorder is when someone thinks they have to explain to EVERYONE that its not the same illness. I may not be making sense but i knew and have known a long time that they are different and it really bugs me when somone 'assumes' you dont know and they drill the fact into you and you think 'i kind of knew that already'....it's kind of patronising

rowie1311s avatar rowie1311 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@rowie1311 This isnt at you OP cus someone had to do it on here one day but something thats even worse than people mistaking...

Understandable. It can be hurtful when someone is patronizing about anything, really. :-

@monstrosity Understandable. It can be hurtful when someone is patronizing about anything, really. :-

It's really annoying when people quote facebook liking pages in reality....
intergrating them into a joke of your own is okay but not actually quoting it word for word...

rowie1311s avatar rowie1311 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Who thinks that?

nobody347s avatar nobody347 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@nobody347 Who thinks that?

A LOT of people, surprisingly.

@monstrosity A LOT of people, surprisingly.

It's sad what the world is coming to. The worst part is, I'm sitting here saying that when I could be doing something productive like brushing my teeth.

nobody347s avatar nobody347 Yeah You Are +1Reply