+110

Broadway fans: There will never be enough Sondheim in the world. amirite?

doctorwhotardiss avatar
3 35
The voters have decided that doctorwhotardis is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm listening to Being Alive right now, by completely random chance.

But the chance that I am listening to something Sondheim on a particular day is very high, I absolutely love Sondheim's work.

vitaminbs avatar vitaminb Yeah You Are +2Reply
@doctorwhotardis Favorite Sondheim show?

Oh boy...it would probably have to be Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods a close second, Sweeney Todd way up there as well

Yours?

vitaminbs avatar vitaminb Yeah You Are 0Reply
@vitaminb Oh boy...it would probably have to be Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods a close second, Sweeney Todd...

Probably a tie between Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods for first, with A Little Night Music coming in second. I am a HUGE Bernadette Peters/Angela Lansbury fan.

@doctorwhotardis Probably a tie between Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods for first, with A Little Night Music coming in second. I am...

Ah I forgot about A Little Night Music. My parents took me to see a concert version when I was about 6. Then I saw it and was aware of it this past summer. After seeing it, I looked at my mother and said "You took a 6 year old to THIS?!?!?"

I like Bernadette Peters more than Angela Landsbury, but both are still outstanding.

what is you favorite single song?

@vitaminb Ah I forgot about A Little Night Music. My parents took me to see a concert version when I was about 6. Then I...

HA nice, my parents took me to see Les Miserables when I was about 10. Oh wow that's a toughie.... either Kiss Me or A Little Priest from Sweeney. The first song that I ever performed in front of an audience (in my musical theatre recital when I was 11) was Broadway Baby so I have a soft spot for that one.

@doctorwhotardis HA nice, my parents took me to see Les Miserables when I was about 10. Oh wow that's a toughie.... either Kiss Me...

I'm not a fan of Brodaway Baby, I have no idea why, it doesn't do much for me.

For me, it is a tie between a million different things, Send in the Clowns or Sunday or Move On or Lesson #8 or Johanna (reprise) or Children Will Listen or Being Alive or Maria (if you count West Side Story) or No One is Alone or Barcelona or (insert just about every song here).

@vitaminb I'm not a fan of Brodaway Baby, I have no idea why, it doesn't do much for me. For me, it is a tie between a...

West Side Story will ALWAYS count. Send in the Clowns was pretty spectacular, as well as every Johanna out there. [insert entire score of Into the Woods] is pretty awesome too. West Side Story always makes me wish I was hispanic, so that I could be Maria.

@doctorwhotardis West Side Story will ALWAYS count. Send in the Clowns was pretty spectacular, as well as every Johanna out there...

Agreed, but I'm a guy, so the whole Maria thing wouldn't work out too well, but Tony or 'Nardo would.

All Sondheim musicals are very quotable as well. I went on a trip without my parents a few weeks ago and when I got to the hotel, it was really hot on the second floor, so I called my mom just to say "It's hot up here", because no one that was with me would have gotten it and I had to say it. Your Fault is also quoted a lot by me. Whenever two people are arguing, I always think to myself "Well, It's your fault then!"

@vitaminb Agreed, but I'm a guy, so the whole Maria thing wouldn't work out too well, but Tony or 'Nardo would. All Sondheim...

Why yes, that would be a little snag.
Nice, I am in the process of memorizing Your Fault as I take pride in knowing very fast songs and annoying my friends with them (for example: The Corrupt Bargain from Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson).

@doctorwhotardis Why yes, that would be a little snag. Nice, I am in the process of memorizing Your Fault as I take pride in knowing...

If you want fast songs, check out Gilbert and Sullivan (late 1800's opera), they are famous for patter songs, and they are hysterical.
Like this one:
YouTube video thumbnailstarts out slow, skip to 50 seconds in
and if you are the nerd type, to the tune of that last one:

I was not familiar with that song, so I just looked it up, and it is now my goal to memorize it as well.

vitaminbs avatar vitaminb Yeah You Are +1Reply
@vitaminb If you want fast songs, check out Gilbert and Sullivan (late 1800's opera), they are famous for patter songs, and...

I've only been a Gilbert and Sullivan fan since I was about 5 years old, but that song always makes me happy. I hadn't heard the second one before, yet it is now going on my iPod. Strange how that works.
Rock. On. Check out the rest of BBAJ as well, it's one of my favorites.

@doctorwhotardis I've only been a Gilbert and Sullivan fan since I was about 5 years old, but that song always makes me happy. I...

yep, same here, my parents have videos of me and my brother dancing to pirate king when we were like 3 and 5.
Will do, it sounds awesome

@vitaminb yep, same here, my parents have videos of me and my brother dancing to pirate king when we were like 3 and 5. Will...

Gotta love The Pirate King, gotta love Kevin Kline for being in Pirates, The Road to El Dorado, AND The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The man cannot get any more awesome.

@doctorwhotardis Gotta love The Pirate King, gotta love Kevin Kline for being in Pirates, The Road to El Dorado, AND The Hunchback...

Agreed, and Ive seen Pirates of Penzance live twice, once when I was about 4 and again this past summer, it was awesome

@vitaminb Agreed, and Ive seen Pirates of Penzance live twice, once when I was about 4 and again this past summer, it was awesome

Lucky! I used to see a G&S show every year as a holiday present and most of the time it was Pirates but I recently have discovered a new love for the Mikado.

doctorwhotardiss avatar doctorwhotardis Yeah You Are -1Reply
@doctorwhotardis Lucky! I used to see a G&S show every year as a holiday present and most of the time it was Pirates but I recently...

for the past two summers I got to see one, I've seen HMS Pinafore and Yeomen of the Guard there, I don't know what they are doing this year.

Ive never seen The Mikado, but that is on my list, I've got it on my list, it surely won't be missed.

@vitaminb for the past two summers I got to see one, I've seen HMS Pinafore and Yeomen of the Guard there, I don't know what...

I've seen HMS Pinafore, as well as Iolanthe, but not Yeomen of the Guard. It shall be put on MY list.

@vitaminb Iolanthe is one I have not seen, nor have I seen Ruddigore

I haven't seen Ruddigore, but I've heard good things about it. Iolanthe was pretty good but I only saw it once when I was very little so I don't remember it very well. I just realized you should definitely see the Mikado so that you can see the movie Topsy-Turvy.

@doctorwhotardis I haven't seen Ruddigore, but I've heard good things about it. Iolanthe was pretty good but I only saw it once when...

Will do.

My God, you are like the female version of me, this is kinda ridiculous, I haven't found anyone else my age-ish that likes this music. You're awesome

Any chance you are an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan as well?

@vitaminb Will do. My God, you are like the female version of me, this is kinda ridiculous, I haven't found anyone else my...

I know right? While I know my fair share of Broadway fans, there are scarce G&S ones. Thank you and same to you!

I do happen to like Andrew Lloyd Webber, especially Evita and Phantom. Patti Lupone and Sarah Brightman are amazing.

@doctorwhotardis I know right? While I know my fair share of Broadway fans, there are scarce G&S ones. Thank you and same to you! I...

Nice, Phantom is one of my fav musicals ever, as is Superstar and Joseph, ever seen Evita though... That one is also on my list.
Ah, Patti Lupone, yes, she is a Sondheim person as well, and is amazing in concert

@vitaminb Nice, Phantom is one of my fav musicals ever, as is Superstar and Joseph, ever seen Evita though... That one is...

I've only heard one song from Superstar, but I like it so far. Joseph is pretty spectacular though.
Oh yes. At the Sondheim birthday concert she sang about half of the music (hey I'm not complaining). It is one of my goals to see Bernadette Peters in concert, but I will have to add Patti Lupone as well because she is just that fantastic.

@doctorwhotardis I've only heard one song from Superstar, but I like it so far. Joseph is pretty spectacular though. Oh yes. At the...

Which song have you heard?

THE BIRTHDAY CONCERT!!! OMG, that was amazing, I loved it. I have seen Bernadette peters as well, but I was about 4, so I really didn't know what was going on

@vitaminb Which song have you heard? THE BIRTHDAY CONCERT!!! OMG, that was amazing, I loved it. I have seen Bernadette...

Jesus Christ Superstar

I KNOW RIGHT????!!!!! It was ridiculously good. Especially A Little Priest. I think if I had seen Bernadette Peters when I was four and was not able to comprehend her amazingness.... I would cry.

@doctorwhotardis Jesus Christ Superstar I KNOW RIGHT????!!!!! It was ridiculously good. Especially A Little Priest. I think if I...

Ah, good song, there's a lot of them in that show.

my family goes to a summer concert series, and one we went to this past summer was George Hearn, Patti LuPone, Michael Cerveris, and Audra McDonald singing Sondheim, so I saw that version of A Little Priest live, it was really awesome. The show was only like an hour though, and they didn't do any of the really famous songs.

^^That conversation fills my heart with glee<3
And I LOVE Sondheim! I actually wrote a paper about him for this cool college program for my senior year, and I got it; about half the judging was the paper and activities too :). I'm obsessed with his music!

@doctorwhotardis Lucky!!! I wish I could write a paper about Sondheim....

It was amazing! We had to choose a person with whom we'd spend an evening, so I chose Sondheim (he's much easier to write about than Victor Hugo ;D). I titled it "A Little Night Music: An Evening with Stephen Sondheim." :)

@FantineLovett418 It was amazing! We had to choose a person with whom we'd spend an evening, so I chose Sondheim (he's much easier to...

You're a Victor Hugo fan? Hello twin. Nice title! I probably would have spent all night trying to think of puns for 'Into the Woods' that I could use.

@doctorwhotardis You're a Victor Hugo fan? Hello twin. Nice title! I probably would have spent all night trying to think of puns for...

You are too?! Thank god I've found a fellow! Lol most teenage girls I know aren't fans. And I wanted to work Into the Woods or Sweeney Todd in bit the reference was too obvious xD