+463

It's annoying when older people talk about how our generation doesn't know how to have face to face conversations. Just because we text a lot and are pretty quick at texting it doesn't mean we've forgotten how to have conversations, amirite?

StickCavemans avatar
8 7
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

However, yesterday I took one of those polls on facebook that was trying to find out how everyone found out about Osama's death, and I found out from a friend telling me, so I was going to select the "word of mouth" option. The only five options were facebook, twitter, television, radio, or over the phone (or text msg). And almost NOBODY selected the "other" option that was available, so I kind of agree that there are tons of people who don't know how to effectively communicate face to face with others.

@retsofgiants14 However, yesterday I took one of those polls on facebook that was trying to find out how everyone found out about...

I don't think it's that we don't know how to effectively communicate with others, but that when you just want to tell somebody one thing and one thing only, texting is a very convenient way to do so. I can't imagine people calling each other up and saying, "hey! I've got some big news! Meet me here." And then tell there friends that Osama has been killed.
I found out through Facebook by the way. :D

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +6Reply
@StickCaveman I don't think it's that we don't know how to effectively communicate with others, but that when you just want to...

yeah, I totally agree (and I use the internet and text people with the best of 'em). And on top of that, it annoys me just as much when adults "generalize" an entire generation by saying something like this. but at the same time, I think there still are a handful of people in our generation who don't know how to act socially even though they talk to people electronically all the time.

So I agree with the poster in the sense that adults shouldn't generalize our entire generation with things like this, but I don't have a problem with an adult telling one kid he doesn't know how talk face to face with someone.

@retsofgiants14 yeah, I totally agree (and I use the internet and text people with the best of 'em). And on top of that, it annoys...

There were kids back in the day that didn't have good face to face conversation skills and they remained silent. The kids today that have bad conversational skills now were just like those back then...but now we have the option of talking without actually talking.
But I agree with you totally.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +2Reply

More than likely you spend more time talking through electronics, than you do face to face. Which makes them right.

Juless avatar Jules No Way +1Reply
@Jules More than likely you spend more time talking through electronics, than you do face to face. Which makes them right.

No, the assumption is that our generation doesn't know how to have conversations face to face. It's not about how often we communicate through technology. Therefore, they are not right. Besides, it's just a pet peeve of mine to hear, "kids today don't know how to talk to one another." Do I really care about old people stereotyping a whole generation? No. Or perhaps just enough to make a post about it.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply

Between Facebook, Twitter, E-mails, texting, and whatever else there is, Im pretty sure this poster is right on.