+289

Evolutionary biologists: You hate it when after you've basically dedicated your life to the science of biology, some theist (with hardly any education in the field) claims evolution is impossible since "there are still monkeys". Then you just sit and think, "Wow! I can't believe everyone in academia for the last 150 years has completely overlooked this brilliant refutation to evolution." amirite?

Unicornss avatar Jokes & Humour
35 41
The voters have decided that Unicorns is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My personal favorite: "Well why aren't there any fish-people walking around!"

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +28Reply

It's times like these that I wish Scrantoncity was still on here.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +23Reply
@DanielJames It's times like these that I wish Scrantoncity was still on here.

I used to "love", like, all of his comments, because everything he said was just such a joke to me

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are +8Reply

I miss him yelling at him so much. Things are so quiet without him.

Evolution is a myth created by demon worshiping scientists to trick people into believing that God is not real so that we all go to hell

You know lots of big words and junk, all that edjumacashun's gonna don do ya some good in that thurr coluhje y smilie

THAT_Girls avatar THAT_Girl Yeah You Are +8Reply

Wow, there's a surprising number of evolutionary biologists on this site.

i feel like that was an insult, but you did it using big words i cant understand. i tip my hat to you for being clever

I know right?

I spent 50+ years studying micro and macro evolution from simian beings, and after all my research was done, I took a trip to the zoo, and a monkey in a cage disproved all my findings.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +2Reply

Can anyone explain to me (basically without write a 10 page paper) why we don't see man-apes nowadays?
I'm a Christian but I'd like to check out other religions before I decide that this is the one for me.

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are +2Reply
@runnerdude Can anyone explain to me (basically without write a 10 page paper) why we don't see man-apes nowadays? I'm a...

we share a common ancestor to monkeys etc, we did not evolve directly from them. Also just as one species developed it does certify the destruction of the previous one

@Hipster we share a common ancestor to monkeys etc, we did not evolve directly from them. Also just as one species developed...

So the evolution was a one time thing? They all evolved at once and it won't happen again?

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are -4Reply
@runnerdude So the evolution was a one time thing? They all evolved at once and it won't happen again?

You should look up the precursors to humans like Homo erectus and Cro-Magnon. They represent transition species between our ancestors and modern humans

The the humans split off from the common ancestor with apes millions of years ago and continued to evolve to people today. There were a good 20 species of upright walking humans between us and the split with apes etc. Humans today are much more evolved from humans a couple million years ago.

Basically, imagine a group of manmonkeys living in ancient, ancient times. Then, they split into two groups and one group evolved slowly into monkeys while the other group evolved slowly into humans. We are far enough along in evolution that you can't really tell by looking that humans and monkeys are closely related by this common ancestor. That's a very simplified explanation.

I think you're thinking of "evolutionist," not "evolutionary biologist." Also, it's possible to be theist and evolutionist. Most deists are. You're thinking of creationists.

@eldorito I think you're thinking of "evolutionist," not "evolutionary biologist." Also, it's possible to be theist and...

Evolutionary biology is a field. Evolutionary biologist is the correct term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_biology

And he never said that thests can't be evolutionists, he was posing a hypothetical situation involving a particular theist who doesn't believe in evolution.

@Evolutionary biology is a field. Evolutionary biologist is the correct term...

It just would've been more politically correct to say creationist because it's like saying "Some evolutionary biologist came and denied Jesus's existence", when evolution doesn't have much to do with it. Theism doesn't have much to do with evolution in this case and it's more of a creationist thing to say.

I'm not being nitpicky, I'm just saying.

so whats the answer?

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply
@1644375

"Very few religious people actually dispute the evolution. Two words: Vocal minority."

Ever been to the Bible Belt?

Treldmans avatar Treldman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1644766

About 70-85% of the theists here will fight against evolution until they die.

Treldmans avatar Treldman Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1644785

You stated "very few" though. And I never said all. I'm just pointing out that there is a very large group of theists who are unwavering in their argument against evolution.

@1644793

Yeah you also can't say that the people you know in your area represent the majority of theists in the world because most of them do not believe in evolution.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +1Reply

ill just say yes cause im blonde and dont know what your talking about

@BrookeGleich ill just say yes cause im blonde and dont know what your talking about

Evolutionary biologists: You hate it when after you've basically dedicated your life to the science of biology, some blonde doesn't understand a simple amirite post. Then you just sit and think, "Wow! I can't believe everyone in academia for the last 150 years has completely overlooked the prevalence of dumb blondes. So much for natural selection."

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +35Reply
Cgymnast7s avatar Cgymnast7 Yeah You Are +9Reply