+639

We've all be through that time where you question the religion you've been raised to believe in, amirite?

princess_s avatar
6 38
The voters have decided that princess_ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1190517

I'm the former. :)

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +6Reply

I was raised a catholic by VERY religious parents, but I never fully believed in god, and by the time I was 12 I had left the belief altogether. My parents still dont know, and I'd never tell them. They'd shun me for life :/

@Unicorns I was raised a catholic by VERY religious parents, but I never fully believed in god, and by the time I was 12 I...

I was also raised catholic but I don't think I've ever believed in God. When I was younger I thought no one really believed in the Bible and God and all the other stuff, but as I grew I realized people actually believed their religion and that was it for me.

My parents accept me though, although they "are catholics" they don't really care about religion, my grandparents though, that's another story.

That's how I am, but I was raised by Protestants (Methodists, to be more specific). I never really believed, either. It's not that I'm necessarily an atheist, I just sort of have my own spiritual ideology now, if that makes sense.
I would never tell my parents, either. They wouldn't take it well at all and they would probably do something drastic to try and convert me.

Emys avatar Emy Yeah You Are 0Reply

I have yet to question atheism

@DanielJames Were you raised atheist?

Yeah. The Russian government forbade religion.

@_____________ Yeah. The Russian government forbade religion.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are 0Reply
@monstrosity How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

17 born 1993 after the ussr collapsed. yet my parents raised me as they were raised. Godless

Going through that right now, actually... :/

I have questioned atheism before, and I sit down and really think about it, and realize "yeah, there's some holes in it, but not nearly as many as in religion, and mine are on their way to being filled in". That sounds kinda douchey and disrespectful to religious people, but that's not how I intended it, sorry

I loved that I was raised without religion. It's given me the chance to actually explore religions instead of just automatically believing something.

@EstoniaObsessed I loved that I was raised without religion. It's given me the chance to actually explore religions instead of just...

I was raised religious, I still got a chance to explore other religions. I didn't go to a mosque ro anything, but that's mainly because a)We don't have any b)If we did, I didn't want to anyway.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Not once did I ever question what my parents taught me. Though I did wonder why they made me drip my blood onto a pentagram, and why there were so many goat hearts in the basement.

ikillawesomes avatar ikillawesome Yeah You Are +11Reply

I went through that about a year and a half ago. Now I'm an atheist.

I went a bit beyond questioning and just threw it all out the window. No more God for me.

Everyone questions the values that they were raised with at some point - whether it be their parent's religion (or lack of), their parent's rules, morals, perspective of life, etc.

Particularly in the teen years, when you're trying to find your own identity, and think and consider multiple life paths.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply

I'm going through that right now. I've been raised Muslim, but for a while now I've been doubting everything it teaches. I've never doubted the existence of God, but just the religion as a whole. I didn't know that so many people go through this.

In my 20's now, as a teen I doubted my religion (was raised Lutheran), and became agnostic for my early high school years. However, after some life changing experiences, I found a different side of Christianity, and started to believe again, yet in a more raw sense of the faith. Now I'm a Christian, I am not part of any domination or anything (though I'm still technically part of the WELS Synod). I've talked to many Creationist scientists, and am currently taking lessons in apologetics.

its funny i realized i started questioning everything right before i got confirmed. i used to believe in god and hear stories of how hes helped people i know and love. now when i hear those stories im like yea that not God its just a crazy coinsidence. im not atheist im just not sitting there listening anymore. im trying to figure out my own beliefs

Currently I'm going through that right, believing less and less as time goes on. I consider myself agnostic now.

PurpleLlamass avatar PurpleLlamas Yeah You Are +1Reply

I was raised a Catholic and found myself questioning Christianity and religion in general when I did philosophy at school, so I told my parents I didn't want to go to church any more and they were mostly fine with it. I feel much more at peace now I can make my own decisions and don't feel guilty about not having prayed or gone to confession, I just think, if there is a god (which I'm not sure there is), why would he care about all that stuff, surely he'd just want us to be good people.

Comment holy wars in 3..2..1..

@1190529

No comment war on a religion post? That sounds awesome.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +12Reply

I guess technically I was raised Catholic, but I never believed in it...

Marios avatar Mario No Way 0Reply

I don't think I ever have, I was raised Methodist and still am. My philosophy is that since there isn't any proof for Christianity you just have to decide whether to believe or not and I do.

I was raised Baptist, and am actually heavily exploring the Catholic faith. But what is so scary about exploring religions is that there are so many types of members in each religion: Each has the zelous types, and the lethargic ones. It seems like Catholicism has a vast number of lazy ones, and a vast number of too die hard of members...it is not only picking religions that is tough, it is picking how you want to tread a path within that realm that is so difficult.

JackCheeses avatar JackCheese Yeah You Are 0Reply

This has happened to me more than once. Now I go by the principal that I love God, but don't like religion.

inb4 Scrantoncity

ClaireTheBozos avatar ClaireTheBozo Yeah You Are -3Reply
@ClaireTheBozo inb4 Scrantoncity

Scrantoncity has been gone for at least 3 months.

Blearslyrarers avatar Blearslyrarer Yeah You Are +29Reply